AV Club lists the best albums of 00's

I believe who ever wrote this has no idea about good music.:mad:

The only album i agree its awesome is toxicity

only looked at the metal one at the moment, but in all honesty it has got about 8-10 albums that i would say are worthy of being in there.....the rest...not so much

Not gonna lie, there are plenty of albums off all 3 lists that I really enjoy.
I really fell in love with Animal Collective after hearing Merriweather Post Pavilion.
Big Sonic Youth fan, so it was nice to see Sonic Nurse in there.
I'm a bit lost as to how Frances the Mute made it into the metal category. It's a fucking great album, but metal it ain't.
Huge win factor for having Converge's Jane Doe on there. I still don't consider myself really into metalcore, but it's an album I believe a lot of people have to hear before they die. Just pure, unfiltered emotion from start to finish. It really makes a lot of post 2000 metal sound quite fake and forced in comparison.
Same with We Are The Romans album, just pure passion.

Catch ThirtyThree is fucking incredible, not surprised it made the list. Some of the best grooves in metal ever conceived are on that album.

Oceanic is still one of the best post metal albums ever IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I dig technical metal, but a lot of bands seem to miss the point and just strive for technicality and forget you've gotta have a good song.
With Isis, particularly Oceanic and Panopticon, it's all about the compositional genius.
I feel it's a side of heavy metal often forgotten by many metal heads. A lot of us are into the riffs, the solos and what not, but sometimes I just wanna kick back with something atmospheric and textural. It really brings out totally different emotions within you and I think it's a style of metal more metal heads should really be checking out.
It's also got great dynamics, something missing from far too many metal albums these days which I feel is unfortunate, and mastered suitably to bring out those dynamics.

I really dig Deloused In the Comatorium, but I was kinda hoping to see At the Drive In's Relationship of Command in there too since TMV is composed of 2 former ATDI members. Made me a little sad not seeing it there, especially since it's regarded by many as one of the finest post-hardcore albums ever.

Lets separate the different aspects of the metal list. As we can see it is pretty biased:

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope (2002)
Grindcore, Massachusetts USA
Producer: Scott Hull
Relapse Records

Amon Amarth, Twilight Of The Thunder God (2008)
melodeath, Sweden
Producer: Jens Bogren
Metal Blade Records

Anaal Nathrakh, The Codex Necro (2001)
blackmetal, UK
Self-Produced
Earache Records

Baroness, Blue Record (2009)
sludge, Georgia USA
Producer: John Congleton
Relapse Records

Blut Aus Nord, The Work Which Transforms God (2003)
blackmetal, France
Producer: ?
Candlelight Records

Boris, Pink (2005)
sludge, Japan
Diwphalanx Records (Japan) Southern Lord Records (world)

Converge, Jane Doe (2001)
mathcore, Massachusetts USA
Producer: Matthew Ellard, Kurt Ballou
Equal Vision Records

Deftones, White Pony (2000)
alternative, California USA
Producer: Terry Date
Maverick Records

The Dillinger Escape Plan, Ire Works (2007)
mathcore, New Jersey USA
Producer: Steve Evetts
Relapse Records

Earthless, Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky (2007)
psychedelic rock, California USA
Producer: Tim Green
Tee Pee Records

Electric Wizard, Dopethrone (2000)
doom, UK
Producer: Rolf Startin
Rise Above Records

Goatwhore, Carving Out The Eyes Of God (2009)
black/deathmetal, Louisiana USA
Producer: Erik Rutan
Metal Blade Records

Harvey Milk, Life… The Best Game In Town (2008)
experimental rock, Georgia USA
Hydra Head Records

High On Fire, Blessed Black Wings (2005)
stoner, California USA
Producer: Steve Albini
Relapse Records

Isis, Oceanic (2002)
post-metal, Massachusetts USA
Producer: Matt Bayles, Isis
Ipecac Recordings

The Mars Volta, Frances The Mute (2005)
progressive rock, Texas USA
Producer: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Gold Standard Laboratories, Universal, Strummer

Mastodon, Leviathan (2004)
progressive metal, Georgia USA
Producer: Matt Bayles, Mastodon
Relapse Records

Melechesh, Djinn (2001)
blackmetal, Israel
Osmose Productions

The Melvins, (A) Senile Animal (2006)
sludge, Washington USA
Self-Produced
Ipecac Recordings

Meshuggah, Catch Thirtythree (2005)
experimental deathmetal, Sweden
Self-Produced

Opeth, Watershed (2008)
progressive deathmetal, Sweden
Producer: Jens Bogren, Mikael Åkerfelt
Roadrunner Records

Orthrelm, OV (2005)
avantgarde, Washington USA
Ipecac Recordings

Pelican, The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw (2005)
post-metal, Illinois USA
Producer: Greg Norman, Pelican
Hydra Head Records

Pig Destroyer, Phantom Limb (2007)
grindcore, Virginia USA
Producer: Scott Hull
Relapse Records

Queens Of The Stone Age, Songs For The Deaf (2002)
stoner, California USA
Producer: Josh Homme, Adam Kasper, Eric Valentine
Interscope Records

Skeletonwitch, Breathing The Fire (2009)
thrash/blackmetal, Ohio USA
Producer: Jack Endino
Prosthetic Records

Slayer, Christ Illusion (2006)
thrashmetal, California USA
Producer: Josh Abraham
American Recordings

Sleep, Dopesmoker (2003)
stoner, California USA
Producer: Billy Anderson, Sleep
Tee Pee Records

The Sword, Age Of Winters (2006)
stoner, Texas USA
Producer: J. D. Cronise
Kemado Records

System Of A Down, Toxicity (2001)
numetal, California USA
Producer: Rick Rubin
American Recordings

...and where is all the melodic stuff? Gojira? Rammstein? SikTh? Slipknot? Killswitch Engage? Strapping Young Lad? Tool? God Forbid? Karnivool? Before The Dawn? In Flames? KoRn? Lamb of God? Machine Head? Nightwish? Children of Bodom? Arch Enemy? Soilwork?

I second that.

Also are they basing this off of sales or what? lol

Either way, a few goodies on there but the rest I'm pretty baffled by.

Also are they basing this off of sales or what? lol

eventho that was a rhetorical question, it reads on the first paragraphs:

"And yes, this list reflects my opinion and my opinion only. I’ve tried to mix it up and include examples from most of the major metal subgenres, but by necessity, this is going to be a big hunk of meat seasoned to my tastes. So keep in mind as you’re preparing your badly misspelled hate-posts that I’m not pretending to be comprehensive. The mere fact that there’s so much room for disagreement about the best metal of the decade reflects exactly how goddamn good the genre is these days."

How hilarious, these lists all fucking suck.

SunnO))) - Monoliths and Dimensions not being included is a crime and I stand by my opinion.

Not a one of the Bela Bartok's six string quartets are on the list!

inconceivable.jpg

I'm not in the list, this must be a joke.

If that is Heavy Metal, what the hell am I listening to? Where are the metal bands? I don't now most of the bands on that list.

Everytime I read these kind of lists I understand Manowar's attitude a bit more. That is not metal for me. Heavy Metal term is prostituted.:puke::puke:

Judas Priest, Helloween, Blind Guardian, UDO, Symphony X, Masterplan, Nocturnal Rites, Rage, Annihilator and many more METAL bands released very good albums in this decade.

I'm not in the list, this must be a joke.

If that is Heavy Metal, what the hell am I listening to? Where are the metal bands? I don't now most of the bands on that list.

Everytime I read these kind of lists I understand Manowar's attitude a bit more. That is not metal for me. Heavy Metal term is prostituted.:puke::puke:

Judas Priest, Helloween, Blind Guardian, UDO, Symphony X, Masterplan, Nocturnal Rites, Rage, Annihilator and many more METAL bands released very good albums in this decade.

I can see plenty of metal bands on that list.
Apart from the Mars Volta, which isn't metal at all, and Harvey Milk which isn't consistently metal, most of the stuff on that list is metal, whether you can accept it or not.
Sure, a fair bit of the stuff is not to my taste either, but I don't dismiss stuff as not being metal just because I don't like it

I can see plenty of metal bands on that list.
Apart from the Mars Volta, which isn't metal at all, and Harvey Milk which isn't consistently metal, most of the stuff on that list is metal, whether you can accept it or not.
Sure, a fair bit of the stuff is not to my taste either, but I don't dismiss stuff as not being metal just because I don't like it

Not including any of the bands I mentioned is a crime...

I'd like to know how many of those bands consider themselves as heavy metal.
I read: Grindcore, sludge, experimental rock, stoner, alternative, mathcore, psychedelic rock, avantgarde, post-metal... what the fuck is post-metal? And mathcore?
None of the list Anssi posted has the term "heavy metal"... is people ashamed of being heavy metal or is cooler to label your band with another stupid name?

Perhaps I'm getting too old and nostalgic but as I said before the name of heavy metal is prostituted.