Metal History Lesson

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
The Mayhem vs. Darkthrone thread reminded me that probably not everyone knows the history behind Mayhem. Enjoy. From allmusic.com.

Formed around 1985 by Necrobutcher and guitarist Euronymous (born Oystein Aarseth), Mayhem was the first death metal band from Norway to make much of an impact in their homeland, which in the early '90s developed a burgeoning underground scene rife with violent, sometimes anti-Christian activity -- as evidenced by Mayhem's non-musical history. Drummer Hellhammer, who at one time worked in a mental hospital, is the only remaining member of the band's prime-period lineup. Lead vocalist Dead committed suicide in 1991 (two years after joining the band) by shooting himself in the head; Hellhammer made a necklace using some of his skull fragments, and Euronymous reportedly cooked and ate pieces of Dead's brain. Euronymous, in turn, was stabbed to death while in his underwear on August 10, 1993, by the band's bass player, Count Grishnackh (born Christian Vikernes). Grishnackh's alleged motive was jealousy over the fact that Euronymous had a more evil reputation; he inflicted 23 separate wounds, it was also rumored, so as to outdo rival band Emperor's drummer, Faust, who was convicted in the stabbing death of a homosexual acquaintance. When police arrested Grishnackh , they found over 150 kg of stolen dynamite in his house, complete with a plan to blow up a large church on a religious holiday. Grishnackh went on to pursue his electronic-influenced project Burzum while in prison; meanwhile, Euronymous' parents requested that his bass tracks be erased from Mayhem's 1994 album, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, (which featured session vocalist Attila Csihar ). Still, thanks to growing worldwide interest in Norwegian death metal, Mayhem product has continued to appear on the shelves into the next century. Hellhammer also put together a new Mayhem lineup, which has toured sporadically. During one such tour in 2003, a concert-goer in Norway received a fractured skull as a sheep head flew from the stage while band member Blasphemer was cutting the head away from the torso.

AMG isn't exactly the most reliable source of information. And why is thread named 'metal history lesson'? If it were about metal, nobody would care too much about Mayhem; they were never spectacular. They're overhyped because of the (rumoured) events listed above. Sad, really.

Listed as similar artists to Mayhem: Solefald
STR.GIF
Uzeb
STR.GIF
Ataraxia
STR.GIF
Darkthrone
STR.GIF
Ulver
STR.GIF
Old Man's Child
STR.GIF
Death
STR.GIF
Emperor
STR.GIF
Immolation
STR.GIF
Marduk
STR.GIF
Enslaved

Actually, I only knew bits and pieces of the story, so having a biography was nice.

I really find Mayhem quite boring compared to the other black metal bands of the early 90's.

AllMusic is hilarious. Or look up the Judas Priest discography on RollingStone.com for a big laugh -- according to them, Priest has nothing but live albums and bestofs to their credit. It's a joke.

You can't diminish the contributions of Mayhem now, just because it's convenient. They weren't the first or only extreme band in Norway, but they paved the way and inspired Burzum, Emperor, and Darkthrone. Gave them jobs, gave them a place to live -- and started releasing music in 1987. So you don't have to like them, but don't look foolish by denying their place.

Is it me or are they talking about the black metal pionneers by saying that they're death metal ?
And in the similar artists to Mayhem, isn't Uzeb a jazz band with Alain Caron on bass ??

That was not correct on several points. For one, Mayhem formed in 1984. Also, Mayhem never removed the bass tracks by Varg, but the article never actually said they did it either, so I guess it's OK.

If you ask me, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is the best album ever made.

some black metallers are fucked in the head man. I understand feeling your music. But one has to wonder, at what time is enough, enough. What is wrong with person if he feels the need to kill some one he knows because that other person has a reputation of being "more evil." Whatever happened to a quest for happiness. I know i'm full of the American dream here, but doesn't every one want some kind of fullfillment and happiness. How does one achieve that by such acts. Thats all asumming that what you said is true. Some people need to wake up and save themselves or acknowledge they need salvation from themselves.

Early Black Metal had a lot of Death Metal traces. Listen to Deathcrush, and you'll know why they were referred to as Death Metal.

Dodens Grav said:
Early Black Metal had a lot of Death Metal traces. Listen to Deathcrush, and you'll know why they were referred to as Death Metal.
Well, how can someone talk about Mayhem and even a bit about Burzum without even saying "black metal" once in the text ?

Sorath said:
If you ask me, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is the best album ever made.
I like the music a lot but what's up with the vocalist? Atilla Csihar's voice ruins the album for me. I like Wolf's Lair Abyss and the new vocalist much more.

MasterOLightning said:
Sorry if that's not the most accurate thing you've ever read. If you know of a better source, let us all know. I just found that really interesting, if all true.
The article was rather accurate. I just want to add that Varg Vikernes killed Euronymous in self defence (so he claimed at the court); it's was a murder to prevent Euronymous from killing him. I like funny guys.