Metal in your town

StephenSLR

Oct 11, 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.lycanthia.com
Quite a few of you here are from different places around Aus. and the world.

So, how is the Metal scene in your town?

How often do you get to go to gigs, what bands (local and otherwise) play there most often.

What are the venues like?

How big is the metal community in your area, etc.

s

As a Melbournian who mainly attends prog/power/thrash gigs I can say that we don't have many great venues for the smaller/ underground scene. I think the "top" three (very lose term) would be the Arthouse (rough capacity about 150- 200), Musicland (~250) and the Central Club (~350). Of the slightly larger venues which can work for a larger local lineup or underground international gigs there's the Esplanade hotel/ Gershwin room (~450), The Corner hotel (~600) and the HiFi Bar (~700-800).
They all vary in their scumyness (for want of a better word) and the sound/lighting equipment ranges from half decent to more than capable, depending on the band and techs.
There don't seem to be any "regular" bands who keep up appearances all year round as they go into writing and recording stages, or life gets in the way (im sure you know that story). This year in Melbounre Eyefear would have to have had the most amount of gigs for a larger prog/power act, with some decent International supports.
Lately I've been able to attend gigs almost every weekend and the numbers have ranged from the usual 100-150 (eg, last nights Mortal Sin show at the Central club) to 300+ for the Vanishing Point album launch at the HiFi the other week.

I think our scene is quite a decent size, but the problem is that it's always the same people that go to gigs. The Vanishing Point gig was a great exapmle of where our scene needs to go, becuase I didn't recognise over half the people there from gigs of previous weeks as I usually would.

After the RockApe shut down, metal in Canberra shut down too (well, a bit before the Ape went).

even with the Greenroom and uni bar, it was still quiet between Metal For the Brain and larger shows.

Now it's slowly picking back up with The Basement and people actually investing time and money into putting good shows on once again.
Now all we need is the bands back up and more interstate bands touring.

But if you want a good scene, look to Wagga and what is happening there.
Very like the early 90's with Manticore and such.

I'm from the Shire , 99% of people round my way that think they are metal have random blobs of colour in there hair , also bad haircuts , tight pants and lame shirts with lamer band names written on them.Not to mention piercings in totally random parts on the face.

So my interest in checking out the local bands are ZERO.

Quite a few of you here are from different places around Aus. and the world.

So, how is the Metal scene in your town?

How often do you get to go to gigs, what bands (local and otherwise) play there most often.

What are the venues like?

How big is the metal community in your area, etc.

s

I live in Forster, and the metal scene here is mostly made up of n00bs that listen to Parkway and Killswitch and stuff, i'm not too sure how gigs would go over, i presume somewhere like Taree would give a bigger turnout as it's a bigger town and there's more of a youth/music scene there.

Taree is basically the only place in my area where you can buy metal cd's, and guitars, and the cd shops really do seem to be selling a few, so who knows? with the right promotion, you might get a hundred people 'round on a frid'y night.