Do metal shows thrive in your town/city?

Vore

New Metal Member
Dec 11, 2006
Do metal shows have good turnouts in your town? And how well are they advertised? And why do you think metal does or doesn't succeed in your town?

its just a survey because my town has a big metal scene but we now only have 1 venue that is metal friendly and its a 21 and over venue. it sux and on top of that, the shows that are booked get poor turnouts. the owners and supporters of the venue are brainstorming ways to help the venue from closing down and find a way to get better turnout at shows so we can book better bands. Before we decide to go to neighboring cities where metal does thrive and start getting ideas from the owners of venues in those areas I thought I'd ask you guys on your opinions on the metal scene in your town. Any advice and suggestions are welcome.
thanks!

Not a very big metal scene, But the two reliable venues around here that had weekly local shows recently closed down, and it's really sucks. It's much harder for up-and-coming local bands to get shows now.

Not a very big metal scene, But the two reliable venues around here that had weekly local shows recently closed down, and it's really sucks. It's much harder for up-and-coming local bands to get shows now.

you going to the 9:30 this friday?

Yes, metal thrives and has been thriving for the past 20 or so years here. There are concerts every weekend in a 50 mile radius of where I live. Too many, in fact. I have to choose which one to go to sometimes.

there is actually a pritty big metal fanbase here in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
we get alot of good bands passing threw.
just this week ive been to 2 big metal shows...

No, I think I'm the only one in this area of rural Tennessee that listens to death and black metal, way too small here anyways.

The answer is "no" I live in a frikin chav hole I don't know that many people around here who like metal so bands don't come here. Don't think we got any decent venues anyway east london has changed so much since Maiden stormed the pub scene in the late 70s :|

So I have to go into central london which takes about an hour to see anyone. I saw Maiden at Earl's Court Arena and got standing tickets near the front so I do survive :D but I don't get local gigs noooo. The closest thing to metal here is indie, and most people around here can't distinguish between the two :|:|:|:|:| that pisses me off the most

Yea. I live in NYC. The scene is pretty good. A lot of bands play at venues like BB King's so it's easy to catch a show... The crowd is nice too.

There isn't much of a metal scene in my area of the maritimes. The only bands that have come around here in my lifetime were slayer, kataklysm, skinless and martyr. With local bands there is the occasional good band, but most of them are punk and emo.

Bascially right now, the only bands other than hardcore and metalcore bands that get a good turn out around here are battle metal bands gaining moment off the back of the ever growing dragonforce monstrosity.

Vader got a very dissapointing turn out where Amon Amarth was packed! This isn't right to be honest (although amon amarth was fecking mint). There's not enough support for deathmetal bands anymore.