talk about YOUR music scene

triellan666

benmothafuckinyoung
Apr 28, 2005
vergennes vermont
hello all this thread is for talking about your local metal "scene", please dont spam or what not in here plz,

well I come from a small town in vermont so the the metal community is pretty weak but i live next to the biggest city in vermont so i go out there for shows gigs and what not, most of the bands from around here are pretty weak and hav an emo sound to them, but there are some diamonds in the roughf, most of the people from around here are a little behind in times in the sense of metal progression and thats all i have to say right now, im very curious to hear about all your "Scenes"

I live next to Joplin, MO. Not that big of a town but the scene is big enough cause of Springfield and Kansas City being pretty close. Most of the stuff around here is either punk, really lame screamo, classic rock wannabes still playing the same songs from Deep Purple and Pink Floyd every gig, or country singers. My band is trying to widen the spectrum a bit. We play a more alternative to hard rock(we play seven string guitars) added with some nu-metal and harcore, its really hard to describe, itd be like if Submersed met with Norma Jean. But yeah, the scene is alright. We had ZAO come through, Godsmack, Korn, Submersed, Breaking Benjamin, Atreu, Avanged Sevenfold, Fear Before the March of Flames, Linkin Park, and Ozzy. So weve had some pretty good shows.

EVERYTHING is emo here. There is one metalcore band and they are pretty good though.

Philadelphia and the surronding areas have a good deal of local death and black metal bands, I've yet to hear any Power Metal however. I have an up-start death metal band who isn't quite ready to play shows yet (still in search of a drummer) so I'm not 100% sure on how much support local metal bands get in the area. And just like everywhere else there's a shitload of emo bands.

Dozens of whiny kid bands, but apparently there are a few BM bands playing a show (at the hip coffee shop for some reason) in a few weeks, and at least some of them are local. I'm sure they're shit but they should be good for a laugh if nothing else.

Well...I live in a town in the middle of the rocky mountains thats an hour and a half from a movie theater...yeah pretty isolated. So basically theres some kids from my high school that I ocasionaly jam with, a bunch of kids dig metal but there arent any metal bands besides us, and like 2 death metal bands but they basically snort lines of coke together rather than actually rehearse. Some old guys have like a country band, and there are a few bands from the college. That's about it. :Spin:

I live in lisbon, portugal's capital and our whole scene is full of underground acts. A great part of them are mediocre and most of these acts play raw black metal. We don't have a lot of nice venues to play at, there is not much support to local bands and label's editing metal bands in here generally don't live longer than 2-3 years. Most of the "gig circuit" around here, is filled always by the same set of bands and is tad boring, our scene is all about friendship in the metal inner circles, I'd say. If you know the right guys and you happen to be friend or fall in their grace, you're lucky, otherwise you'll have that rather occasional gig once in a while. Our biggest band - in exposure - is Moonspell, but there're quite a few promising bands like Wright who plays a thrash/death metal with roots in the 80s thrash and with lots of technique. ShadowSphere who play melodic death/thrash metal, In Kairos who play prog. death metal with ethnic influences...I won't name more because that's not the point of this thread, but this is just personal taste. To sum up: Our scene is weak, mostly rbm bands and a few promising not-rbm bands and we don't gladly have a lot emo bands here, at least I only know of one and it's still underground.

sonofhendrix13 said:
Most of the popular music around my town (Gloucester, MA) is punk or emo. I haven't seen any really popular metal bands around here.

Beyond the Embrace? (theyre from new bedford)

Beyond The Embrace music is really tight and sick. I saw 'em open for Opeth last year or the year before.

My local scene is probably not that good here in Charlotte, NC. Most big bands skip Charlotte, altogether. I don't get out much anymore. There seems to be a lot of hip-hop crap around here, even the white kids are into it.

I am trying to get together with this drummer from Stonerrock.com and maybe bring in this guitar player that plays punk and hardcore. I play guitar, bass, and sing and am influenced by Sabbath, early Iron Maiden, other power Metal and doom bands and some progressive Metal and rock.

Around here in the LA/OC area, the major trend is biased towards tribute bands where Metal is concerned.

Sadly, there seems to be almost no OC Metal bands really worth mentioning since they all sound like everyone else. You've got bands that sound like they're still trying to make it with Korn's audience as well as those that sound like they're stuck in the mid-80's. :yuk: Those bands that I've seen that are from the LA area aren't doing that much better.

Around here, it is mostly cover bands (Iowa City area, or more specifically, a small town called solon), but there are a few great bands, for one, we have some blues singer who sings really well, but doesn't have much taste or an experimantal side, and we have a band that my phenomanal high-school drummer is in called the distinguished gentleman (my older sister went out with the lead singer), but I haven't heard much of them. We have a great funk band called the sprawl. Other then that, we have some more good bands, but I don't get out very much.

Feicht said:
Beyond the Embrace? (theyre from new bedford)

Well there are probably plenty of good metal bands in MA but as far as local bands go, most of our stuff sucks. I've never really looked into that far but there might be some good metal bands around here. I don't go to that many local shows.

Everything's rap here; the rest is punk shit. I don't think there's much of a metal scene since L'amour's shut down, except when major bands tour.

Yesterday at the local venue, a death metal band came in, to the surprise of many since the area is usually hardcore. I had high hopes, but they sucked ass. They did a cover of "roots, bloody roots" by sepultura, but they massacred it...

I live in East Alabama, right on the Georgia border. The metal scene is non-existant. Unfortunately, you would have to drag me away from here kicking and screaming. Why, I couldn't begin to explain.... but though I am a metal-head, I am pretty much a "redneck" metal-head. I couldn't imagine living outside of the SouthEast. I would be like a fish out of water out of The South.

Bryant

My "Scene" consists of some college kids who think they are really rockin out. They mostly play zepplin hendrix and other rock stuff you will hear on any rock station in America :erk:

Every now and then I drive up to DC (5 hours away) just to see a good show, I just wish some good metal bands would find their way to these parts, lol

-Cease