How is your local music scene?

.... Just total shit. Not a single really great band around. All it is is extremely shitty indie, extremely shitty punk, and extremely shitty dethcore.... then there are the funk/fusion guys that no one cares about lol. that pretty much sums it up. feels bad man :/

thats why i strive not to sound like everyone else and not join their bands hehe ;)

Its shit around here. Like most other places in the world, its a combination of metalcore and deathcore. Most bands are middle aged wannabe tattoo biker dude, or grease heads, playing a stoner variation of death metal. Bunch of immature fags that think calling their music, crunk or hyphy mixing rap samples as breakdowns and songs about smoking weed is cool. All their recordings are shit, gutiars always sound like they used a crate SS amp, with no boost, muddy fizzy dull hunks of garbage.

Winter Snow, I actually think you guys have a pretty good Death Metal scene up there. I've enjoyed quite a few bands up there in the recent years. More probably from the surrounding areas and not Sac itself.

Winter Snow, I actually think you guys have a pretty good Death Metal scene up there. I've enjoyed quite a few bands up there in the recent years. More probably from the surrounding areas and not Sac itself.

In the core of sac its not too great. The biggest of the big around here are Damage over Time, Malevolent, Sexciety, Bell Tower Sniper, Music Membrane, Enemy Inside, Dismal Lapse.

While I enjoy enemy Inside as I have opened up for those guys, I was in the sister band of Malevolent, our rehearsal space was across the hall from Sexciety and not too far from Drop 7 which their front man is good friends with my uncle. Their recorded music however makes them sound like a Hatebreed copy. The only other band that stick out to me, other than Drop 7 is Soul Distortion, but they are similar to Alice in Chains. Honestly I liek Soul Distortion more than any other band around here.

Just listening to the top local bands, and actually liking Man Automatic, kinda generic 90's rock, but still pretty good.

Very saturated here - lots of bands. Drawback is that the vast majority are very average, and the rest who are good have absolutely nowhere to go. There is no 'next level' here, there is nobody that's going to scout your band, sign it, give you good tours etc. Such things are virtually non-existent here unless the bands tag along opening for one of the larger acts to come through from overseas.

So, to put it summarily, the local music scene is very much alive with ambition, but dead in professionalism.

Portal toured the US with Gorguts and Krallice, Ermz.
That's the next level, and they're one of the most obtuse and experimental death metal bands in history.
Good music finds an audience.

Near standstill.. only a bunch of 14 year olds playing bad Pantera covers and 40 year olds playing good Lady GaGa covers. :lol:

I thought Florida (Tampa had that covered)?

Sure, for the most straight up stuff.
My post earlier about Quebec being the death metal capital of the world is due to my love for the experimental.
Less good stuff from there OVERALL, but 2 of the 3 death metal bands that really made me step back and really re-examine my perception of death metal came from Quebec, and none of them from Florida.

Cryptopsy
Gorguts
Portal

Heard them in that order and they changed my perception of death metal in that order.

Morrisound was always the best for DM production though!

Progressive because it fucks the established order, questions the status quo and tries new shit or progressive in the usual manner people think of progressive?

Progressive because it fucks the established order, questions the status quo and tries new shit or progressive in the usual manner people think of progressive?

Both I suppose. There are bands like Augury, Unexpect, Gorguts, all bands that try extremely new sounds that have broken the status quo and make them work well. Then there are the more "conventional" progressive bands like Quo Vadis, Into Eternity, Neuraxis, Divinity. All great bands though.

Its great here.
The scene is small, but active with some awesome metal/rock DIY bars and venues .
People is mostly doing metalcore and tech death atm.. but there is also some death and black bands.

Only thing I get a bit tired of is how everybody knows everybody.. always the same "big" names doing shows with each other.

What Ermz said really.

Again, as with every scene, you've got the guys jumping on the super generic side of the metalcore and deathcore bandwagon.

I've jammed with the guitarist from 4Arm, a local thrash/groove metal band a few times. Not super innovative (but I don't think they're trying to be anyway), but some cool tunes and they recently opened for Testament, which is no surprise, because they're damn tight and a bunch of pros.

The band Laura is a cool post rock band, from Melbourne that's supported some heavy weights like Cult of Luna and Mono

I'd say Psycroptic is a band that seems to be doing quite well for themselves.
Bought their live CD/DVD set a little while ago, and watched their rehearsal video, and holy mother of fuck goddayum, they are tighter than tight.
They've become known in the international metal scene and they signed to Nuclear Blast in 2008, which definitely helps as far as getting European distribution goes.
So happy for the recognition they are getting on the international scene, because they truly do deserve it, because you know they just put so much hours in and made so much sacrifice to get there, and write some wicked songs, which just makes it more awesome.
Joe Haley is just a fucking god on the guitar.

The haley brothers are absolutely ridiculous.

But I wouldn't say it's that hard for Australasian bands to get noticed.
(i know you were talking about your local scene, but still)

Several bands have been critically recognized and had international tours because of it;

The Amenta
Psycroptic
Portal
Ulcerate
Wormrot
The Berzerker

and loads of metalcore bands if I'm not mistaken?