Your Local Metal Scene

killedbydeath9184

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2013
I just recently came to the depressing realization that the metal scene where I live (Chicago area) is pretty limited, so I figured I'd take that thought to the boards and see how it is for other people.

So, what's the metal scene currently like in your hometown/state/etc.?

Where I am it kinda sucks, alot of black metal, which I don't really care for on the whole, the other bands are generally not that good either.

Scene in Windsor is pretty small usually. There are quite a few styles of music going on but most of the shows only attract a handful of people. The metal is mostly Southern influenced which isn't really my thing but sometimes it draws a decent crowd. I really wish there were more fans or at least fans that go to shows around here. On the plus side the people that do go are usually enthusiastic.

The Las Vegas local metal scene is somewhat active. There are a lot of local death and thrash metal bands, as well as a few black and doom metal bands. Support and attendance at the local metal shows is inconsistent. I don't go to a show anymore unless there is major band on tour playing the show. The business model for small and medium sized metal shows sucks in this town. The shows start too late and there are too many local bands playing. I can understand a show running late on the weekends, but a show shouldn't end at 2 AM Sunday through Thursday.

Woah now, the Chicago scene is fucking kick ass dude. High Spirits, Bones, Ancient Dreams, Cianide, Superchrist, etc

From Peoria, IL

Angelust (Evil Black Rock n Roll)

Altered Existence (Old School Death Metal)

Akashah (Pagan Black Metal)

Olórin (True Khazad Doom Metal)

Last edited by a moderator:
From the DFW area here, with Absu, Rigor Mortis, Solitude Aeturnus, and Divine Eve, among others. I think Devourment is also from around here but I try to ignore that fact.

As far as I'm aware of, there is no local metal scene in NJ. However, I will always take pride in the fact that Overkill are from here which is pretty cool.

Socal is pretty good. We have a decent selection of newer thrash bands always doing shows around here. We have big venues for world touring bands to visit once a year or so too.

More of Hard Rock and stuff here. Some kinda nu-ish metal. Very samey, Drop-D shit, kinda generic, but fun at a show I guess. Called Buried in Black, just broke up.

P.s. I'm in that music video. 3:12, I hold up the horns and windmill lol.

Some decent hard rock stuff called Deep 6, much better than this video shows.

A guy at a local guitar store showed us this band he's in, old traditional heavy metal. EDIT: Yoda, didn't even see you mention High Spirits, met their guitarist in my town lol.

Then as we left, he gave us a demo of this: Kinda blackened thrash called Oblong Box.

Master Yoda, I didn't know you were so close to me, or that Peoria had such a cool scene. And Kriglosh, same to you. Saw the Vile Impurity at CIM last year and one of my friend's almost played bass for Suffer the Wrath. My other friend played a show with them when he drummed for Carpathian Funeral. Guys from VI were really cool.

Southwest Ohio's metal scene has grown a lot in the past few years. There are a LOT more bands in Cincinnati (used to be mainly nu metal, metalcore, and deathcore) and Dayton has some really killer stuff. A lot of what's in Dayton, however, has one or two of the same guys in it. Fortunately, they're extremely talented, so it works out. Much of what's in both cities is stoner/doom metal or stoner-influenced, which seems to be the case in most places now. There's not much death metal in Cincy, but there are some killer young thrash bands and a couple new black metal ones that are really good. Dayton has some death and black metal, but I'm not aware of any thrash. There's a few grindcore bands up in Dayton, but Cincinnati only has one grindcore and one powerviolence band right now.

I put twelve years of various work into trying to get the Cincinnati underground metal scene going and it's finally paying off. I do a solo drone metal act under my nickname, but I've only played a handful of shows and most of it was doing something else. Hopefully I can get a drum machine going. Or a tape loop of drum beats...

So I scrolled through the list of bands playing in my area in the next few months. Here are some of the band names that I saw:
Wayne Is So Sad
Tight Tight Crotch
Liger Attack
The Ever So Friendlies
Magician Cameron Brtnik
The Oddsome Band
TheJUNK
Sonic Deadhorse
Elephant Gym
Sugar Plum Ferry
Vast & Hazy
New Sunglasses
Mary See the Future
BearBabes
PUMPKINney Fan Club
Super Tortoise
The Girl And The Robots
Miss Stocking
Acid Peeping Tom
Fun People
Eyeball Killer
Until Seeing Whale's Eyes

There are many great bands here but the ones I could think of right now are anion and my friend's band Eyes of the Sun.

Here's a video of Eyes of the Sun, the drummer is a great friend of mine and he's very talented. The recording sucks though. :/ They play a fusion of doom with black metal influences.

song starts at 5:52