Local music heroes

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey!

Bands around the world inspire people, you and me, a lot. Some of them inspire us GREATLY, and we develop a strong bond to them in some way. But for me, the world is divided in 2 parts; the local area where I live, and the rest of the world. I see both of these as equally important when it comes to music. Just as I love for example SikTh, SYL, Devin Townsend etc, that have inspired me greatly, I also love this little local band from my town which I thought I'd promote a little and make known to all the metal heads around here... because it's not metal, haha. I played drums along with one of their songs today, and I got reminded of how much I love their music. It gives me this awesome feeling that I can't find in metal, although metal gives me alot of everything else.

The band is Baron Bane. I hope you check 'em out atleast, who knows, you might get that little kick of inspiration you were looking for. I know I sometimes get this urge to make some death metal after listening to them... can't explain why, but they give me awesome inspiration :)

Soooo, to take the thread further, promote your local music heroes that you look up to, and that have shaped you into what you are today! There is just something special about local bands, and I'd love to find out about yours =)

SDS

they are a local band that just have something awesome to them. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the rescue mix I did for their cd and they've already said they want to work closely with me as a producer/engineer for their next one cause they love my ideas. Very Bad Religion-ish (the fast stuff) but mix in some sweet thrash parts, some stuff that sounds like the Police and a touch of Pantera ... thats these guys. Just some home-grown local Philly boys and I totally support them 100%. I don't think their Myspace page is up just yet so I have no link to post unfortunately except a sample of their music

this song is called "Dare Devils"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/Dare Devils Final Mix.mp3

this one is called "Good Times, Fat Lines"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/GTFL Final Mix.mp3

SDS

they are a local band that just have something awesome to them. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the rescue mix I did for their cd and they've already said they want to work closely with me as a producer/engineer for their next one cause they love my ideas. Very Bad Religion-ish (the fast stuff) but mix in some sweet thrash parts, some stuff that sounds like the Police and a touch of Pantera ... thats these guys. Just some home-grown local Philly boys and I totally support them 100%. I don't think their Myspace page is up just yet so I have no link to post unfortunately except a sample of their music

this song is called "Dare Devils"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/Dare Devils Final Mix.mp3

this one is called "Good Times, Fat Lines"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/GTFL Final Mix.mp3

Duuuude, that was awesome! What an awesome blend of music genres! Shit, it's sort of on the genious side of music if you ask me :)

I'd love to hear more of them when they have a MySpace up or something like that.

There is a funk/jam band near me that is so phenomenal it hurts. I go see them at every possible opportunity. Here is their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/postjunction

But the recordings do not do them justice. The energy and fun at their live performances is amazing.

Hahahaha, I'm such a sucker for funk music... if you didn't know already, I love Jamiroquai ;) So, as soon as the first song started on their MySpace, I got goose bumps! This is good stuff! I don't know what, but there is something about funk that is just sooooooooo warm, and it makes me feel like everything's just fine, and the world is a great place... even though we know it's not haha (Fuck the world! Yeah met000lz!!).

I don't care about the recording actually, I think it sounds just fine. Funk music is really one of few genres I can listen to without thinking of the production.

Around here there are few bands that rock, but my buddies in

End It All
Revocation
Graveheart

kick asss.

Link their MySpace etc if they have any! :)

Currently checking out Baron Bane - GOOD. I like.

Aye, I strongly encourage everyone here who is not buried in metal to check Baron Bane out. Around here, locally, they are a phenomenon. They always play with visual stuff accompanying the music, projected on a big screen behind them and they always wear costumes and masks. It's almost as if they're doing theatre, it's magical. They're often in the newspaper and stuff.

BTW, the guitarist in Baron Bane (Stefan Aronsson) also plays in Terminal Function, so if you check Terminal Function out, you'll see how varied Stefan's music taste is :)

Duuuude, that was awesome! What an awesome blend of music genres! Shit, it's sort of on the genious side of music if you ask me :)

I'd love to hear more of them when they have a MySpace up or something like that.

those 2 are from the cd I'm mixing ... there are 7 more and I'm not kidding, if you dig these you would totally be into the other ones as well. I would say in all honesty there is only one tune out of the batch that is not as strong as these two but I would still never call it a "filler" track .. its still really cool

here are a couple more if you feel like checkin them out. They're just low quality mp3s of my 1st draft rough mixes for each tune

"Problematic"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/Problematic_Mix_1.mp3

"Some Day Soon"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/594184/Some_Day_Soon_Mix1.mp3

I won't be mastering the cd because I'm the 1st to admit I have almost no idea how to do a good job with mastering but I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Mixes will all be finished in the next week or so and then it'll be off to get mastered

Skinny Viking,

that is redicilously cool dude! I usually don't listen to reggae or punk, but when the two are blended like these guys do, it's GREAT! I wasn't analyzing everything while listening but I think it sounds really good! Very clean and not fatiguing at all.

I can't believe those guys are just a local band from your place... they need to get out there and play! I'd love to see 'em live :)

Skinny Viking,

that is redicilously cool dude! I usually don't listen to reggae or punk, but when the two are blended like these guys do, it's GREAT! I wasn't analyzing everything while listening but I think it sounds really good! Very clean and not fatiguing at all.

I can't believe those guys are just a local band from your place... they need to get out there and play! I'd love to see 'em live :)

they were a total surprise man ... my other guitarist and I just went to the pub one night and these guys just happened to be playing. Caught my attention right away. Funny thing was it turned out the singer is the younger brother of a guy I used to be in a death metal band with like 14 years ago :p

They're great live ... I swear that rhythm section is one of the most badass of any band I've seen. The whole band is great man, just fuckin intense on stage but totally loving it and having fun with it ... its pretty refreshing actually

BTW, checkin the Baron Bane at the moment, about 4 songs into the stuff on their page ... REALLY cool stuff! The way you said how they have a weird stage show and all, probably a blast to see them live.:headbang:

Haha coincidences rule don't they? :) Death metal band 14 years ago... damn, what a coincidence =)

Yea, I bet they are great live. I get so happy when I see a good band live, I mean not just playing well but the whole picture, the music genre and everything. Most bands around here play just some generic metal or hardcore/punk, and they all do it pretty much the same way. But then, there are a few that really break out, and it just makes me so happy when I see 'em live :D Baron Bane is one of them, and I've recently discovered Beardfish. Beardfish are going on the north american prog tour or whatever it's called, with Dream Theatre. We all rehearse in the same building, me, Baron Bane, Beardfish, and lots of other bands.

I think Baron Bane's MySpace has mostly newer songs though. While they're good, their old songs are totally kick ass too. I'd love to link 'em up but I'm afraid I can't :(

I remember getting an invite from an friend who liked my music and wanted me to come check out his new band at their practice. I was totally blown away even though it wasn't exactly my genre of choice, and they almost instantly became one of my favorite bands, even out of famous bands. Everything was just so catchy and fun.

Unfortunately they only lasted a short while and everyone went their separate ways. Makes me sad. All they have is a few demo songs as their gift to the world. Anyway, they were called Unother. Their myspace is in dire need of updates, so I wouldn't trust any info on it, but it has some good tunes. Damn I miss them. I almost had a chance to record some stuff for them but I was working on my own band's record at the time and by the time I was free they were broken up. :cry:

Edit: The singer is bit different, but he has a certain freshness that kicks ass. Really cool guy. He's now singing for my old guitarist's new band in L.A. called Eat The Crow if anyone wants to hear more of his stuff.

Unother was really good Uladyne!

The last song on their MySpace kinda reminded me of The Fall of Troy, which I like a lot. Too bad these guys broke up, because I think they would have some success if they had continued! Pretty diverse music... exactly the way I want to do music too, maybe not in that style 100%, but the way they do it... it's nice.