DEAD Music Scene, What to do?

Orlando has a pretty strong doomy/sludgy/stoner scene man, and there is some KILLER hardcore punk/powerviolence bands.

I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but it seems that most of the time the people complaining a lack of scene are the same ones that don't go out to any shows.
Also, a scene is not about getting online recognition. It is about people going to shows, becoming friends, helping each other out, and also about being open minded. If you're looking for a technnical djent scene or a female fronted power metal scene you probably won't have any luck (anywhere), but if you start going to hardcore shows you might find there's a lot of common ground a lot of people will dig the same shit you do.

While I'm at it, I think facebook is great for bands. It makes it so easy to organize and spread the word abuot gigs. If you want to listen to a band you're better off going to bandcamp than myspace anyway.

To the OP: You don't need to go to WPB, The Culture Room in Ft. Lauderdale is always having metal shows. always.
In Miami you have Churchill's (which has been open forever). While there isn't a lot of "metal" shows, they always have something going on and a lot of the bands are definitely on the heavy end of the scale. Grand Central is starting to have metal shows as well. A couple of weeks back Corrosion of Conformity played there and Obituary is playing in a week or two.

I'm sorry, i get super butthurt about this

Orlando has a pretty strong doomy/sludgy/stoner scene man, and there is some KILLER hardcore punk/powerviolence bands.

I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but it seems that most of the time the people complaining a lack of scene are the same ones that don't go out to any shows.
Also, a scene is not about getting online recognition. It is about people going to shows, becoming friends, helping each other out, and also about being open minded. If you're looking for a technnical djent scene or a female fronted power metal scene you probably won't have any luck (anywhere), but if you start going to hardcore shows you might find there's a lot of common ground a lot of people will dig the same shit you do.

While I'm at it, I think facebook is great for bands. It makes it so easy to organize and spread the word abuot gigs. If you want to listen to a band you're better off going to bandcamp than myspace anyway.

To the OP: You don't need to go to WPB, The Culture Room in Ft. Lauderdale is always having metal shows. always.
In Miami you have Churchill's (which has been open forever). While there isn't a lot of "metal" shows, they always have something going on and a lot of the bands are definitely on the heavy end of the scale. Grand Central is starting to have metal shows as well. A couple of weeks back Corrosion of Conformity played there and Obituary is playing in a week or two.

I'm sorry, i get super butthurt about this

Quoted for good measure, I get "the scene is dead" complaint from so many bands I record and I always ask them how many shows they go to. The scene has never been more crazy where I live, 2-3 shows every single weekend. Some of them aren't any good, but hey kids still go to them and have fun.

As you said man, a lot of people just don't go to shows and don't get it or are complaining that their post-technical-djent-doom-grind project can't find anyone to play with.

I am a little older than some of you, but when I was a kid scenes were built on and sustained by college radio, promoters and questionable venues. All ages was a necessity.

This is how it was when I was in high school. Show up to some hole in the wall made for 80 people and cram in 200, no stage and it was usually some bands rehearsal space.

Local college station could blast that the show was happening, shit was GREAT. First time I saw bury your dead was at one of these shows (this was when they had you had me at hello out).

I kind of miss that atmosphere. For some reason the new bread of heavy doesn't inspire that kind of show, or they don't run things the same. Seems like everyone is chomping at the bit to do pay to play now.

On the flip though, if I travel 40 mins to cuse, there are good ass shows all the time. All but 1 venue in my small city got shut down or closed due to fuck head owners. The "scene" was also stronger back in the early 2000s due to If Hope Dies coming out of this town. Lots of spark to do things when you get a band that "made it :lol:" (laughing because I'm pretty positive they came out of their deal owing lots o money to the label and didn't have much to show for the years of touring they did).