What type of music do you host at your parties?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
What type of music do you host at your parties?

I highly doubt that we host cradle of filth, dimmu borgir, or other music we normally listen to at our parties. What do you guys do? Please the crowd and put on some popular music? Or stick to what you listen to?

(And I'm not really talking about music you'd host at a party with your band mates, more of like, music you'd host at your wedding or music you'd host at your son's/daugther's first bday. )

-Reason I'm asking this is because the other day I was thinking, what type of music am I going to host whenever I get married? Rock/Metal? Or do I want please the crowd and put on what you typically hear: Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, music people like to dance to, or cultural music (if most of the attendees are from a certain culture i.e. if I come from indian descent, listen to music w sitars).

It'd be awkward for me to put on Korn, Lamb of god, or slayer especially here in Orange County where just about everyone listens to mainstream music.

So, what do you guys do?

I would never play anything i dont like.
I tend to land a compromize and play classic rock/heavy metal.. everything from zz-top to guns'n'roses to metallica, it seems to please even the mainstream crowd(As long as you play songs "everyone" knows and loves.).

Maybe not on a wedding or my son's/daughter's first birthday though. :lol:

Light classical music, like a string quartet is pretty nice and stylish too. You could even go for quartets that play interpretations of pop music. Often sounds better than the original :D

Depending on your own tastes and those of the crowd, stuff like Sigur Ros is pretty nice too.

Or you leave a computer with youtube on and let people pick something in turns. That has been popular on my family meetings lately. Everyone gets to hear something they like, and you get to hear some stuff from different sub-cultures.

Most of my friends all listen to the same music.. so I like to have all the stuff I enjoy, and then the random shit I still love. Like stupidly catchy top 40 songs too haha! I have no shame, and neither should anyone else :p

Wedding wise.. I always imagine I'lll have 80's rock ballads etc. Suitable and emotionally uplifting :D

One time I was at a Halloween party and they were letting anyone put CD's on the stereo, and I chose to play Andy's only Cathedral album mix, Caravan Beyond Redemption. Some punk rock asshole got all pissy and took it off a minute later, put on some crappy punk band and said something to me about it sucking and that I wasnt allowed to put anything on. Just being a total dick.

Well about three years later, my roomates and I threw a big party at our house, and he was friends with one of my roomates, and showed up. I saw this, went straight to my room and grabbed the same album, put that shit on LOUD AS FUCK. Happy times indeed. No one said shit that time and we listened to the whole damn album. bitch

I only listen to metal during shows or while being alone actually, so most of the time
I play stuff like Jamiroquai, Jan Delay (German funk/hip hop/soul thing) soundtracks
from Tarantino movies or some older blues/rock things.
Frank Sinatra is great everywhere, everytime, but from time to time, a Skrillex song
might fit too, even Slayer might be a good choice during a party with non-metalheads ;)

Thievery Corporation, Bonobo, Fat Freddy's Drop, bossa, house, jazz... If it's a chilling party. :Smokin:

If it's a drinking party or it's not just getting baked in my living room, then I usually play Pendulum, Knife Party, Infected Mushroom, Hadouken and all kinds of electronic/DnB and that stuff

I listen to a heap of non-metal stuff so I don't really have to worry about offending people. The biggest pain in my arse is when people don't want to listen to stuff they haven't heard before, even if it should be up their alley.... I don't get that mentality and it's one plenty of my friends share.

usually start it off light with some old suffocation or cannibal corpse. from there smooth it over with some iron monkey. if it is a classy affair like a wine and cheese party i might throw on some blut aus nord for ambiance.