What's the "scene" like where you are?

AndrewB

That Darn Kid
Jul 21, 2011
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Read the title again.

There's a pretty good blues scene where I live, we actually have a "Bluesfest" every summer here. And I think the DIY punk scene is starting to grow. But nothing heavier than classic rock that I've seen here. Btw, I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

in chicago, the metal scene sucks and pretty much has for the last 6 or 7 years as far as im concerned. sure there is a good band every now and again but that doesnt mean there is a good scene. the same for every genre. people like whats popular. its hard to get people to go out to shows. REAL hard.

Trigger the Bloodshed are probably my favorite current British band (even though I wasn't too keen on their last record) along with these guys:

Dyscarnate
Anaal Nathrakh
Ingested (sort of)
Oblivionized (has potential)
Embryonic Depravity (were good but split up)
Grave Miasma are kind of cool, but I've yet to check them out properly

Obviously that's "new" bands, I'm not counting Napalm Death and the like.
There is just a shitload of dull, blast-filled, gore obsessed DM with very little ambition.
Genuine talent is like Gold-dust. That's according to my taste, but I don't think very many people from around here would disagree with me?

Montreal here, Kickass, Brought By Pain released party happened Saturday, Vengeful is releasing a double album on December 3rd (Which is going to be album of the fuckin year btw), First Fragment, Augury, Beyond Creation and many more, Healthy healthy :p

Shit son, I'm in the bible belt here. Lots of country, country rock, very few actual metal bands out and about. Mostly post hardcore fags " I was at a pierce the veil/ mis may I show last week. There's going to be winds of plague and whatever tour they're on coming through. That'll be fun. The underground rap is taking a hook and seems to be progressing nicely. Every now and again I hear one of my boys on about his new rhymes, and apparently there are shows that I'm obviously missing. Then weekends I spend my time whiskey'd out at the clubs with the dubstep kids who were into black veil brides last year. The DJ scene is kicking ass. Then my day job has some hipster jams every now and again, and the hipsters know how to kick it out down here.

Yeah, my town is really cool. Ask Harvey, he's based here.

This is the biggest thing right now here:

rock/metal concerts are just a few and with not much public.

Last edited by a moderator:
The past 5 years or so there has been an increase in indie/folk/pop. Lots of subpar acoustic acts with typically at least one chick that cranks the mic up and whispers into it softly and a random folk instrument thrown in (banjo, fiddle, whatever).

Then there is the punk/metal/hardcore stuff. I fall mostly into this category because i love house shows. There's some good stuff, but most of the 'punk' crowd is this here:

Which is not really my bag.

here's a video i put together a while back of a typical basement type of show. a few local acts to support touring acts.

When i moved back to TN about two years ago, most of the dudes i knew that were in punk/whatever bands had started hooking up ipods to decks and were playing dance parties. dubstep shit on everything and all the kool kids love it.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7EhldGTY0&feature=related[/ame]

overall it's a very cliquey type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine the "scene" differs all that much from major city to major city across the Western world.
I imagine it's just the same old gay Parkway Drive rip offs and probably an increasing number of autotune-core Attack Attack type stuff.
The scene kids may have moved on somewhat from Atreyu and Greenday (at least from my experience, those were the t shirts the scene kids seemed to wear most around here), but there will always be scene kids looking for the latest thing to latch on to.
As far as heavy music goes, if you'll at all interested in doing something genuinely different with some creativity and real heart, something that will actually stand out, you're fucked really.
As Ermz was saying a while ago, Australia is an absolute black hole for serious metal bands.
Even if you don't think so, you guys in the US and Europe have it a lot better and have a much better chance of really 'breaking out'.

Shit.

Not for the bands, so much as for the scene being entirely unable to support them making any sort of professional career for themselves. Most look abroad, and sign to meager mid-sized independent labels if they're lucky.