What's the "scene" like where you are?

You and ermz need to get out more then. Unless your definition of metal is bogan/kvlt/shitty brutal death metal? I know there's alot of shit shows with shit bands, but there's been a few of us really pushing to get the quality of australian heavy music up there. Unfortunately the close minded, old school promoters (I won't name names) have really held it back which is unfortunate.

I'm not remarking on the quality of the bands. Only the quality of the industry which is unable to sustain them doing anything worthwhile nationally. All my clients look abroad as soon as we finish a record.

Haven't seen much brutal death around these parts for a while. Melbourne is mostly saturated with thrash. I'm aware that there are a ton of bands looking to push the boundaries on the quality of metal available here. I'm fortunate to work with a great many of them. It just breaks your heart every time you see them hit dead ends in this black hole industry, which isn't ready nor capable of supporting their ambition.

Nashville has an interesting scene. Not all country as some will assume. Not too much metal here now and it used to seem more bands would come through (booking here is like playing with fire!). Some great rock, indie blues, and jazz though!

To be honest I don't really know since I don't listen to radio but the latest ones I'm aware of:

This is basically about drinking. As most of this artist's songs.

I don't even know what those lyrics mean but seems like they speak about drinking too.

And propably the biggest ones in a while. (Reagge truck?)

And the saddest thing is all those are finnish. Shame on us.

Last edited by a moderator:
The metal scene here consists of a bunch of bands where every member is in 2-4 bands. There hasn't been fresh blood here in probably 15 years, and the few new bands that do pop up are either attack attack style scene bands or bland hardcore bands that just repeat themselves over and over. Pretty much what Harry Hughes said actually.

I do understand why there are close to no new metal bands around here. Metal listeners here (Paderborn, Germany) are extremely prejudiced against anything remotely new. I often get the impression that people only come to shows as curiosity seekers, staring like retarted kids at the bands on stage, except for maybe 1-2 local hero kind of bands who have really gathered a considerable local fanbase and put on great shows.

Sounds pretty bad, but it's actually something I can live with. You just have to figure out who the idiots are and who's OK.

Apart from that, singer/songwriter is one the rise here big time and it fucking sucks ass.

We still have many metalheads over here, taverns and live shows with the best metal bands of the moment. You can walk the street and see iron maiden t-shirts, long hairs... There are many fantasy power metal teenagers fans wearing clothes of Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody and stuff like that.

Of course there is also crap, and more crap, like spanish pop and latin music.
Not many hiphopers and no crabcores at all.

Generally the only people who go to metal shows in Spokane already play in other metal bands. Dubstep, scene/core bands, hipster bands from Seattle/Portland/Olympia, radio rock, and juggalo rappers all seem to do pretty well here. We have a lot of talented jazz players but it's like the metal scene; you don't see a lot of people at their shows that they don't already jam with.

I'm doing FOH in a venue, this venue is the only place in the whole municipality (31,000 people) which plays alternative music (all kinds of rock, metal, punk, etc) and organizes concerts. How many people show up at a evening:
Regular evening: 10/20 people (all regulars).
Band evening: 40/50 people (30/40 regulars).

But whenever i walk around in the city i see shitloads of scene kids/alternative people ... WTF are those kids doing in the weekends?
It almost look like all those kids are busy with youtube and facebook on saturdaynight and only go to one BFMV concert a year.

Anyone else notices the same problem (Europe, Netherlands)?

Lots of different stuff going on here in general, metal-wise.
Death metal still seems to be pretty popular around here.
I've seen deathcore bands popping up here, and some of them incorporate that trance/techno elements in their songs...altho those are from further out in the "country", not really that much around the "big" city here, from what
I gather at least. Not that much autotuneage thingies going on tho...that is maybe because of lack of producers (who want to do so things too, maybe).
Scene around here is somewhat strange, but defenitly not dead I'd say...
With strange I mean that I feel like the majority of bands/ppl dig the less melodic stuff (death, black, grindcoreish, deathcorish) but we have some pretty good (imo) bands that do a lot of melodic stuff overall.
Always something to see around here, and sometimes I allready was pretty amazed by some younger dudes pulling off quite a good show (with young I mean 16-18yrs).

What I don't like here tho is that the place were the most metal concerts are has the shittiest PA system of all. Sounds like it is even more fucked now then it was a couple of years ago when I played there for the first time.
It's really a pitty.

For other stuff I don't really know that much, but I guess there's nothing that is too popular, or more popular then other things...quite like in the metal scene overall I guess. Pretty good jazz going on, but I don't really know much about that I must confess.
I dunno if that is to change more with the "modern hardcore" or whatever they call it stuff, and that the kids are only jumping on the train right now....havent seen a lot of scene kids around here yet tho.

Since there are always concerts I guess most of them are also with enough people...at least everytime we play or when I'm at a concert around here it certainly isn't "empty"..not always full, but enough to have fun I'd say.

Scene here is pretty small but I guess there are a few decent bands. Been out of the loop for about a year though since lineup changes have been plaguing us.

Ten thousand metalcore bands, 9,999 thousand are imitations of For The Fallen Dreams or whatever shitty Rise band is in the spotlight.

We have standout bands that come around rarely, there's 3 of them that really stand out the rest fall apart.
They've survived over the years, back when the scene actually had a lot of people going to shows.
Now due to the lack of talent and show opportunities out there the scene is kinda falling apart.

I hear North Carolina it's starting to get big, can anyone vouch for that?

I hear North Carolina it's starting to get big, can anyone vouch for that?

Its pretty cool here. Theres some awesome bands. Obviously the big boys being Between The Buried And Me, but honestly they don't do as well here as they do in other places. In our home town and some of the surrounding region we tend to pull anywhere between 200 and 400 kids depending on the time of year. Weird that the time of year matters, but it def does.

We do have a lot of the "crabcore" bands out here which is unfortunate. There are also a lot of competitive bands around here and I absolutely loathe that shit. I could careless who is better than who. I just figure all of us are doing this for the same reason so that bullshit gets old fast.

There are also a lot of competitive bands around here and I absolutely loathe that shit. I could careless who is better than who. I just figure all of us are doing this for the same reason so that bullshit gets old fast.

Same here, I hate it. Especially with cover bands, shit is lame (we can all work together and make much more money instead of undercutting y'all!). I love working with other bands, but it seems like they all try to fuck you over whenever they can. Also, it fucking SUCKS when a band is not willing to share equipment for the sake of the show. I share my shit almost every show because it's faster than everyone moving a bunch of shit, and i get to hear what my amp really sounds like out there!

There are a lot of issues I have with typical live music in general, but I'll hold off on that.

I'm doing FOH in a venue, this venue is the only place in the whole municipality (31,000 people) which plays alternative music (all kinds of rock, metal, punk, etc) and organizes concerts. How many people show up at a evening:
Regular evening: 10/20 people (all regulars).
Band evening: 40/50 people (30/40 regulars).

But whenever i walk around in the city i see shitloads of scene kids/alternative people ... WTF are those kids doing in the weekends?
It almost look like all those kids are busy with youtube and facebook on saturdaynight and only go to one BFMV concert a year.

Anyone else notices the same problem (Europe, Netherlands)?

Sounds very familiar. Then again: I live in the Netherlands as well... Worst thing is that when I have a show in the neighbourhood, every one I talk to says he'll come see us, but in the end no one shows up because they forgot, or it was cold or whatever lame reason...

Posting the locals:

(I actually recorded this band, not to thrilled with how it came out but that's ok):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lafh3dLIw6Y&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY9BfbbrQY&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWwFSsNGTOo&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN0CrmKV3E&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3IpI9B1evk&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE52HeAbIIQ&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

Yeah there are more, but this is a good sampling of the "scene" around here.

Then there are these guys... they are fucking horrid live. :lol: Drugs don't fucking mix well in a live setting.

The local scene in Hamburg germany is quite awsome at the moment.
There is no metal anymore in my honest opinion.
Everything has a hardcore backround or at least the kids think is has.

I realy like it because the kids supporting each other these days and realy try to live the family lifestyle hardcore means

This is a band I produced and recorded.
I also co-wrote that song so this makes me even prouder ;)