How is the music scene in your area?

SpiritCrusherX

ManBearPig
Apr 5, 2003
Wilkes-Barre, PA
www.myspace.com
In my area (Northeastern Pennsylvania), the music scene is pretty bad. There are a lot of bands around and I give 'em credit for plugging away, but it it's so saturated with generic hardcore bands that it's disgusting. I don't like hardcore to begin with, but none of the bands are even doing anything different...they all sound the same, and it's so pathetic. My band just played a show with two of the better metal bands from my area though and I gotta say I enjoyed them, the three of us are really the only ones around here playing true, unique metal (not trying to brag about my own band here, it's just the truth). Two other bands also played, and I swear to God, every single song contained the same old chugged E5 chord, quarter note triplet pattern...that just made me sick.

Then of course you have the emo bands that just sound like New Found Glory rip offs...I hate that shit too but again, nothing even that original.

There are very few bands that do anything interesting around here, but this area kinda sucks, I'm sure you guys from New York, Florida, etc., can give me better reports. What about you guys?

Quebec rocks, we have some awesome bands, too bad I live 2h30 away from the biggest city, most of the shows are in Montreal... But most of the bands from the province come to Quebec city too.

I can't report well. I live in SE Pennsylvania.

Same deal.

We have our unique stuff. A few funk bands, some metal, a mix(my band), and that's it.

I just hate how none of them has a decent singer, and I am amazing. Such wasted potential...

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Philly's got a good hip-hop scene.

And some of the punks aren't so bad...but I like NFG so my good might be your bad.

All we have here is a bunch of latin shit and "modern rock" cover bands. The only metal bands really are Divination and Fatal Aggression, and they're both pretty much the same band now with shared members. Oh, and some guy I know has a one man band called Infernal Hammer.

I'd really like to start something of my own, but nobody will go along with my ideas.

northern california is terrible. its a bunch of radio rock. the venues for the most part are terrible with shifty promoters. the handfull of good bands in the area cant get a show at a decent venue and are stuck playing tuesdays.

norcal venues simply dont embrace metal, which is ironic considering the big thrash history in san fransisco. there are fans for metal, but no venue will let the bands play
~gR~

The music scene round my area is fucking shite, its all dull as fuck ska-punk and indie bands. The metal scene is pretty much dead in cambridgeshire, an occasional metal band pops up but they dont get anywhere because the large majority of gig goers in cambridgeshire are ska-punk and punk fans so they dont get any turn out to gigs. I say ska-punk because proper ska is nothing remotely related to punk.

Um yeah im done

I live in Perth, Western Australia. The metal scene isn't too bad, there's quite a few and they're all not bad... Extremely mediocre though. Barely of the bands are innovative, they seem to be stuck on the Swedish Melodic Death sound, typical Thrash/Death, Black/Thrash sounds etc. Nothing too interesting but not bad I guess. My band is planning to change it though, we're trying out alot of things with our music and other styles.

the scene in San Antonio, Texas is below average and sometimes can blow loads of ass. The city is largely dominated by bad punk rock. I mean the type of punk rock that makes you want to dig out your brains through your ear with a fork. This is the stereotypical 4-chord punk rock bands. Insanely bad... but there are a few good metal bands that keep that genre alive in San Antonio. The ones I like are LoKey, Doctura, Pitbull Daycare, and Structure. the two only places designed for gigging are the White Rabbit, www.sawhiterabbit.com/main.htm, and Sin 13, www.sin13.com. The White Rabbit is really the only one I go to since Sin 13 is home to most of the punk bands.

The music scene here in Boston sucks. There are a few signed hardcore bands from around here and that's about it. I think that The Red Chord and Agorophobic Nosebleed are from around here, but that's it in terms of metal. And Shadows Fall are from western Massachusetts.

NocturnalSun said:
the scene in San Antonio, Texas is below average and sometimes can blow loads of ass. The city is largely dominated by bad punk rock. I mean the type of punk rock that makes you want to dig out your brains through your ear with a fork. This is the stereotypical 4-chord punk rock bands. Insanely bad... but there are a few good metal bands that keep that genre alive in San Antonio. The ones I like are LoKey, Doctura, Pitbull Daycare, and Structure. the two only places designed for gigging are the White Rabbit, www.sawhiterabbit.com/main.htm, and Sin 13, www.sin13.com. The White Rabbit is really the only one I go to since Sin 13 is home to most of the punk bands.

Hm, I have a compilation CD(Staring At The Sun Vol. 4) that has some of those bands on it, picked it up from a cousin of mine who works at a bar in San Antonio. Just curious, you heard of Powderburn?

Life Sucks said:
The music scene here in Boston sucks. There are a few signed hardcore bands from around here and that's about it. I think that The Red Chord and Agorophobic Nosebleed are from around here, but that's it in terms of metal. And Shadows Fall are from western Massachusetts.
Boston isnt that bad. Isnt Maudlin of The Well here? Warhorse is from Worcester. Vital Remains are from Providence. Beyond The Embrace are from my hometown of New Bedford, MA. Isis are from MA. etc..

BloodStainedWalls said:
Boston isnt that bad. Isnt Maudlin of The Well here? Warhorse is from Worcester. Vital Remains are from Providence. Beyond The Embrace are from my hometown of New Bedford, MA. Isis are from MA. etc..
I didn't know about Beyond The Embrace, or Maudlin of the Well, I haven't really heard of them. I still think Boston is more of a hardcore town that a metal town: Diecast are from Boston, as are Converge. Poison The Well are from Boston too, but that's not a good thing, as I hate that band.

None_So_Vile said:
The music scene round my area is fucking shite, its all dull as fuck ska-punk and indie bands. The metal scene is pretty much dead in cambridgeshire, an occasional metal band pops up but they dont get anywhere because the large majority of gig goers in cambridgeshire are ska-punk and punk fans so they dont get any turn out to gigs. I say ska-punk because proper ska is nothing remotely related to punk.

Um yeah im done

EXACTLY like my area. Ska, Punk or Emo. Some NU metal, but not much that is any good.

One or 2 proper metal bands that I know of, but it sucks generally.

I live around 30 min away from Montréal (Québec) and there's good bands here...Cryptopsy, Martyr, Neuraxis, Kataklysm, Necronomicon, Quo Vadis...just to name a few. :)

In Montreal there's some really good shows once in a while. So I'm statisfied with the Montreal scene.

Yeah I live on the New York/Canada border. The scene here is pretty suck. Occasionally there are a few metal bands which are okay but they don't usually last too long. We also have a few local non-metal, funk/jazz/rock bands, some of which are decent. Besides that theres a lot of bad hardcore stuff.

Its pretty dismal here for metal but merely somewhat bad for music in general.

I live near the Houston area which has a rather mediocre scene. A few notable bands would be Gates of Enoch, Crimson Massacre, To Scale The Throne, and Adumus. I tend to stray towards the Austin area from time to time which is home to a few of the most brilliant, unique metal bands: Averse Sefira (black metal) and Acerbus (death metal).