How is the music scene in your area?

The scene here in Denver isn't bad at all. My band just did a six-band fesetival show with Cephalic Carnage last Saturday night to well over 400 metalheads. Jag Panzer is from the area, as well as Excommunion...the killer death metal band on Empire/WWIII. We also have Throcult (Crash/Pavement) and Mandrake whose debut will come out on the same label very soon. Some of you may remember Serberus (now defunct) who were from here too. Others of note would be Deadspeak, Drudgery & punk-thrashters Clusterfux to name a few. There are loads of other upstart death & heavy metal bands around as well.

Denver also does have a big nu-metal scene....but I don't follow it much although I do know some of the bands pretty well. A friend of mine just hired on to Motograter recently (their vocalist is from here originally too). Of the local nu-metal acts a couple are really good, the rest aren't my cup of tea. Every single week/weekend there are at least 3-4 metal shows of varying size & quality at any number of clubs or theaters in the area. Plus we're pretty lucky that most national tours of good underground metal stop in Denver as it's the biggest city/market between the midwest and the west coast.

Were I live Ostergotland, Sweden we had loads of hardcore bands but they seem to have left (hc isnt popular anymore...). We have some bands like Marduk(yes it´s THE Marduk), Satanic Slaughter(death/black), Roswell (Kind of raw Melodic Death), Corporation 187 (Slayer-worshipping thrash), Morifade (Power Metal about dragons and wizards)

The Austin "scene" is a lot like the national U.S. scene. It's falling apart. The critical event that started the decline for all ''music scenes'' (especailly heavy metal and hard stuff) in the United States was the repeal of the 18 year old drinking age.

It started during the Reagan Administration when religious groups joined forces with outfits like "Mothers Against Drunk Drivers". The changes took place in the first Bush Adminstration, when Elizabeth Dole (the U.S. Transportation Secretary) forced all of the states to raise their drinking ages to 21 (it had been 18 since the Vietnam War), or they would lose all federal highway funds.

The next killer was the Trial Lawyer's jihad against the tobacco companies. So, states have all put a gestapo in place to mae sure no one under 21 years old can drink without serious legal trouble. Same for Smoking if you're under 18 years old. It's a lot like the Puritan era, when religous morality made smoking and drinking "sinful" or "evil".

People need to voite out the incumbent politicians, and replace them with people who will change the drink ing and smoking laws. Until that happens, the police statism will keep growing. And the metal scenes will be effectively dead in more cities.

Nihilistic said:
Yeah, both are pretty good. Man Must Die especially, they are on the Maryland Death Fest =P

:headbang: YEAH MANG! Next weekend! The Baltimore (Maryland) scene is pretty good, thanks to all the bands and clubs that support the music. And the deathfest is gonna fucking CRUSH this year.

genocide roach said:
northern california is terrible. its a bunch of radio rock. the venues for the most part are terrible with shifty promoters. the handfull of good bands in the area cant get a show at a decent venue and are stuck playing tuesdays.

norcal venues simply dont embrace metal, which is ironic considering the big thrash history in san fransisco. there are fans for metal, but no venue will let the bands play
~gR~
Yeah exactly, I mean there is some really great bands around here really good black metal like Ludicra and Leviathan, some decent death metal like Impaled and Exhumed, and of then course we have Neurosis but the scene as a whole is rather dead. Definatley can't see a good metal show every weekend, but there are enough that if you know where to look you can see some good ones. I'd say all in all theres a very small elite set of bands which are awesome and then not much else- at least that I've been able to find...

Wandrail said:
All I have to say about Atlanta Georgia is that it is one of the rap/hip hop capitols of the world, and that tends to not bode well for heavy metal. There is...one band I know of worth a damn in this city, called Ender's Game (www.endersgametheband.com I think i stheir website) and I like them quite a bit, I was surprised to find em. The band I'm in no longer plays shows, living a couple states apart, so we're no scenesters anyhoo.

I thought you guys had ion dissonance as well...

The Seattle scene isn't great, but it's not the worst either. We have some ok bands here, and some pretty exceptional ones as well. As for metal- Himsa and Hellpromise come to mind.

None_So_Vile said:
We now have a death metal band called Necro Fucksaw and some supposedly (i reckon wannabe after hearing some of their riffs tbh) black metal band called Dark Divinity

mmmm

:lol: that name fuckin owns.

Life Sucks said:
The music scene here in Boston sucks. There are a few signed hardcore bands from around here and that's about it. I think that The Red Chord and Agorophobic Nosebleed are from around here, but that's it in terms of metal. And Shadows Fall are from western Massachusetts.

What about Terminally Your Aborted Ghost, Scattered Remnants, Leukorrhea, Maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, Watchmaker, Acephalus, etc.

BOSTON IST KRIEG

Rock cover bands.....then a bunch of radiohead wannabes, pop-punk bands, and emo shit.

Then i go into a guitar store, read the bands wanted thing and most say "Looking for Guitarist(or vocalist, or drummer, or bassist but bassist is rare) with influences from Alice In Chains, Godsmack, System of a Down, Adema, Linkin Park, or some other faggot band" i have never found one person around here who's that into The Death Metal Scene or Black Metal Scene so i'm out here plugging away attempting a black metal project, oh well, Massachusettes has a lot of metalheads, i'll go down there.

in richmond, va the metal scene isnt anything to brag about. lamb of god is from here, but they dont play here anymore. there are 3 metal bands that just always play shows together. they are battlemaster, which is like deathish/powerish/amon amarthish kind of, war-torn who are death metal, and immortal avenger, who are awesome power metal.

there's a waning hardcore scene. it used to rule. still a few bands left.

there's a little bit of a metalcore scene, but the only good band, scarlet, doesn't play here much anymore because they are getting bigger and touring and shit.