How is the music scene in your area?

I am also in Northern California(Sonoma county)..and there is JACK for music.

Unless, of course, you like pop-punk, Emo or other crappy corporate style rock.

I am going to try to get some people to jam with on my days off in the area..hopefully I can find ONE person who actually likes METAL.

I can only speak of Ft. lauderdale, this shit pretty much sucks, 4 friends that listen to real metal, but the vast majority of my friends don't even know Iron maiden.

Florida is supposed to be like the metal heaven since the sunshine state gave birth to many renowned bands (specially death metal) like:
Death
Cynic
Atheist
Kamelot
Iced earth
Obituary
Morbid angel
Deicide
savatage

...to name a few, *sighs* good ol' times

Local bands dont exist any more. We used to have a great deal of extreme bands in thrash, death and a bit of black. No longer.

I've started a zine to promote metal in my area, and to try to get bands started (see sig). One small step at a time.

My area in north of NYC is pretty damn cool...a fair amount of talented Prog bands, some thrash bands doing some original and challenging things...a fair amount of Death and Black metal stuff...then you have all your punk and hardcore bands...definitely a lot going on...NYC is even better, but I spend so much time in the city working, I never come down here when I'm off...

Around Los Angeles (and it's neighboring cities) I've begun to hear a rather large amount of metal coming around. It's weird, but alot are coming from some "poor" areas.

Well... Here in SW Finland there are tons of MeloDeath, Goth and other lighter metal bands but none really good. My big brother and my sisters boyfriend have an awesome deathly heavy band and few of the guys i know here have an ok band. There are lots of metal around here but so few of them are actually good or succesfully around the world.

Giles said:
Hmm.....Norfolk..... Well let's see.....

Well that about wraps things up.
Yeah, here in Norfolk sucks. The only good band is mine, Drear (see sig). [/shameless self-promotion :D]

I live in south Texas so I'm surrounded by Tejano and Country music! aaarrrggghhhh!!
SAVE ME PLEASE!!! Very few metal listeners down here.

There isn't ONE single metal station down here. There's one rock station that plays crappy mainstream music.

zombie havoc said:
in richmond, va the metal scene isnt anything to brag about. lamb of god is from here, but they dont play here anymore. there are 3 metal bands that just always play shows together. they are battlemaster, which is like deathish/powerish/amon amarthish kind of, war-torn who are death metal, and immortal avenger, who are awesome power metal.

there's a waning hardcore scene. it used to rule. still a few bands left.

there's a little bit of a metalcore scene, but the only good band, scarlet, doesn't play here much anymore because they are getting bigger and touring and shit.
Yeah, metal is pretty underrepresented here. I was pretty pissed when Narsilion broke up. Battlemaster is the shit, though.

I riegn from Michigan. The metal scene is getting better. We don't have many venues that have live bands in the towns that I live by, so usually I have to travel and hour or more to see any good, live bands. Most venues around here have moved to DJ's o_O We have a few death metal bands around, and maybe a black metal band here or there, but the main make-up is the nu-metal genre.