how's your underground metal scene?

Aug 27, 2002
Riverside, CA
Visit site
out here in southern california, the underground metal scene is non-existent... everybody's hardcored out... tough guy style... i have found some guys out here with whom i share many good ideas and we decided to start a pure death metal band... sounding abit like a mix of at the gates and ebony tears... our sole purpose is to play the best we can, and keep the music alive and hopefully get some people to get out of this indie/hardcore scene and more into the death metal scene. I'll keep you all posted for mp3s and shows in your area.

The underground metal scene in the Bay Area is alive and flourishing.

Old metal acts have reformed and are doing things again... Vio-Lence, Exodus, and Sadus is even going back on tour.

As for the unsigned music, there is lots of variety, from Thash to Hardcore to Death Metal and all sorts of stuff in between....

It seems like the Death Metal scene is up on the rise. Severed Savior just got signed to a record deal, we have Exhumed and Impaled, as well as Vile and a few other lesser known bands.

I think things are starting to look good again, with more places opening up to extreme metal shows.

NP= Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

i should move to the bay area then... all the shows my band plays/will be playing is with hardcore bands... as much as the hardcore scene has done for alot of kids here... i'd still like to see some long hair up in front of the stage sticking their arms in the air and banging their heads...as i play a solo... you know? Ill have to wait and see... it's frustrating.

I son't know what your talking about redsky...the SoCal scene is HUGE....my god, we have shows ALL the damn time, you just have to be willing to drive a bit and support local bands...in the last 2 months I've seen Opus Majestic, Noctuary, Rise, nema, Infernal Chaos, Stormbringer, Fortress, Under the Stone, Dodecameron, Sumeria, Exhausted Prayer, Sanctus, Gutrot, Hate Eternal, nile, Origin, Artisan, Bloodstained Dusk, Monstrosity, Dark Faith, Under Threat, and am going to see Stormbringer again on Sunday with Sumeria.......no scene my ass....soCal is one of the bigger underground markets I've seen.

where the fuck have I been?? I live in hollywood, and I admit I dont get out much, but even in the local music papers I rarely see anything worth going to.
a bunch of out of work actors trying to out fashion each other and fight off asslicking labels tossing contracts at thier feet (everyone wonders why the current music industry sucks, spend a month on sunset and youll figure it out) and if you go away from the disco clubs and the lip-injected whores..you find nu metal everywhere, infesting the valley. which is another clue that its on its deathbed (thank satan!) unfortunately I fear whatever is the Next Big Thing that they have planned.

so...obviously if these bands are playing the scene doesnt suck, but it sure is hiding good.

yeah i mean, if all these bands (who are worth the drive) would make an effort to publicize their shows and stuff... more and more people would be sticking to the DM scene. Your area might be flourishing with all these bands and stuff... but my area (orange county, corona, riverside) is infested with tough guy hardcore who want to (TURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER INTO A WARZONE!! JUD JUD) it's kinda pathetic that the hardcore scene is so huge, but the DM scene is virtually non-existent... but at least someone in so-cal is getting to go to some good shows...

I live about 3 hours north of San Fransisco. There are about 10 metal bands in 100 miles. It's difficult to become part of a "scene" because we live so far north. We don't know many people that are part of the thriving scene... so... sucks for us.

Originally posted by theredintheskyismine
yeah i mean, if all these bands (who are worth the drive) would make an effort to publicize their shows and stuff... more and more people would be sticking to the DM scene. Your area might be flourishing with all these bands and stuff... but my area (orange county, corona, riverside) is infested with tough guy hardcore who want to (TURN THIS MOTHERFUCKER INTO A WARZONE!! JUD JUD) it's kinda pathetic that the hardcore scene is so huge, but the DM scene is virtually non-existent... but at least someone in so-cal is getting to go to some good shows...

No what I was trying to say is HALF THESE SHOWS ARE IN LA/CORONA/RIVERSIDE AREA!

The showcase has had KATAKLYSM, MONSTROSITY, BLOODSTAINED DUSK, STORMBRINGER, Dark Faith, Exhumed, Impaled, Decapitated, and a shitload more in just the last 2 months. And Downey has had: Sol evil, Sumeria, Stormbringer, Legions, Infernal Chaos, Willow Wisp, Michtluti, Exhausted Prayer and Noctuary, and more. Just stay on top of the clubs like the Showcase and The Hully Gully (Downey)...

I try to mention as many soCal shows on here as possible, so keep an eye out for my posts! Stay metal man!

Unfortunately I live in southwest Virginia, and the metal scene in general sucks, and well, that sucks... I often find myself driving 5 or 6 hours to find a good show, but hell, Its Metal, and that's the important Part. :devil:

i enjoyed milwaukee, WI. saw katatonia, anathema,
and fukking opeth during the same weekend.
Raleigh has a lot going on there as well. travel people,
it will open your eyes to a lot of things:
-> lots of metal
-> freedom to think!!

With LA, I scan the LA weekly and see, as Sadistik points out, thousands of bands playing all the time. Problem is, as an outsider, I don't know most of of those bands mentioned. Hard to know what shows to go to, if at all.

Bay Area is great. Sacramento has booked some good shit lately, too.

Saw a show last week in Dallas, looks like they might have a decent scene. Same with Portland, but again, I've only seen a show or two in these cities, so I'm guessing.

wow lots of west coast people here.

im from the east coast (massachsuetts) and i think there is a great scene here. and of course we have the New England Hardcore and Metal festival every year.....

i think over all im spoiled most of the time as there is usually shows just minutes from me :)

I live about an hour south of San Jose, in California...which is just about out of range of that Bay Area scene...although I try to get up there to see bands like Impaled whenever possible. There are only a few good metal bands around here, it's mostly like the guy from SoCal said...a bunch of "tough guy" metalcore bands...who are mostly obsessed with looking like the guys from 18 Visions and being very "O.C" *gags*...anyway, most of the guys in those bands are nice guys in general...and there are other hard bands...but only a couple real metal bands. I've been trying to get a death metal or grindcore band going on down here for a while...but it's pretty difficult, especially finding drummers. I do know one really fantastic drummer who's into metal, but he's tired of playing drums and went back to guitar.

So yeah, a few of us around here have been trying to boost the metal scene here...we're finally getting a Relapse band playing this weekend. I'm trying to get Impaled to play the cd release show of this metal band I'm putting out...we'll see.

Anyway, yeah....ours is pretty lifeless, but there's potential.

The scene around Austin and Houston is quite good, but I need to learn more about it before I post more.:) But we have Coffin Grinder! Funeral Rites. And more when I do my research!

HAVE MOST OF YOU FORGOTTEN THE DOOM METAL BABND TROUBLE??!!!

they actually formed again about a year ago. did a small tour earlier this year, and are working on a new album.

but, locally you mean?? well, around rochester ny, it ain't too good. it's all punk:mad:

Originally posted by theredintheskyismine
out here in southern california, the underground metal scene is non-existent... everybody's hardcored out... tough guy style... i have found some guys out here with whom i share many good ideas and we decided to start a pure death metal band... sounding abit like a mix of at the gates and ebony tears... our sole purpose is to play the best we can, and keep the music alive and hopefully get some people to get out of this indie/hardcore scene and more into the death metal scene. I'll keep you all posted for mp3s and shows in your area.

i know your pain all too well man thats practicly my same situation,i'm one guy,trying to play pure metal in a emo/indie/hardcore world, and its so bad i play shows by my self with no other members!!!!!!!!!!!! thats how dry the scene is!!!!!!

Originally posted by hendrixfreak
Hey Sadistik, would you perhaps be one of the guys from sadistic intent by any chance?

hehehehee no! I wish! I am a college student from SanDiego, but I frequent shows al over SoCal....hehehe

SI are great guys, though!

Ya Redsky, LA has the best metal scene in any part of the country, and I've been to almost every state. There is a ton of metal there, but most of it sucks. Especially in riverside, you're not going to see much unless to go to SD or LA. Painkiller I can't believe you say you have nothing, you have Rain Fell Within, one of the coolest underground metal bands in the US now (they're from VA right? Although they might be breaking up soon I hear)
I have to say the worst "good" metal scene is in New Orleans, Louisiana. I've lived here for 3 years now and haven't seen a single good metal show, except for Gwar, and you don't really go to that for the music. God Forbid played here once with gwar, that was decent, but that's it.