American Black Metal on the rise

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
How do you all think the US Black Metal scene is doing? Honestly if you think about it, many of the best black metal acts these days are coming out of the US (Noctuary, Leviathan, Goatwhore) among France and etc. I've noticed a little uprising here on the east coast. I'm in Connecticut, and my band Aegrimonia is beginning to slowly develop a tiny fanbase. (Download our mp3s now, they're the shitty unmastered ones but it'll give you an idea of what we're all about) I've noticed a lot more bands coming out, and me and a friend are talking about organizing a show for the local black/death metal bands to play and be heard. We want to get a scene started for demo trading and companionship.

Discuss

Absu, Averse Sefira, Demoncy, Grand Belial's Key, Havohej, Krieg, Nachtmystium, rehtaF ruO, Velvet Cacoon, Yamatu

All good USBM bands.

Absu, Averse Sefira, Demoncy, Grand Belial's Key, Havohej, Krieg, Nachtmystium, rehtaF ruO, Velvet Cacoon, Yamatu

All good USBM bands.

dont forget Kult ov Azaeal, Bloodstorm, Everwinter, Xasthur

wooo!

and my band will be coming soon..actually its probably going to be a one man project..called...Funeral Eclipse?

mwhahaha

Finding out... yes I must admit that I'm a newbie to USBM.. I'd only be exposed to Noctuary, and since I've been playing in a USBM band for a while, I've gotten to hear other bands, but there are hundreds more. Its frustrating

I think that the internet is doing a world of good for US metal in general. Black metal is no exception. I didn't even know about black metal until I started researching music on the internet. I have a feeling that most US folks are in the same boat.

We have to stop trying to sound like the Norge and Ustereichen, though. We need to find the American folk angle and make it our own. We not only have our own concept of nature, we have our own history of nature worship. American black metal should be, in my oppionion, a gateway to the wide variety of Native American religions.

don't really know if anyone has heard of us or not (ALGOL). we've just put up a new website so if anyone wants to check us out, here's the address.
www.algolnine.com
we have a new split coming out w/ Shroud of Despondency on Paragon Records out of NY. we've also played w/ bloodstorm and a host of other US bands in and around NY/NJ area.

cheers!

@the guy who said we should add american angle to it:

dude, do you really want american folk mixed with black metal? i mean, thats like playing old mcdonald melody with blast beats...bad idea

Old McDonald is nowhere near my point.

I'm talkin' nature worship at the pure American level.

Wolf said to bear... bom bom bom bom bom bom bom bom.....

oooh so you mean native american stuff? cuz otherwise old macdonal is the best example of an american folk song i can think of.

Well, American Folk Metal would not be only limited to Native Indian influence, but it could also revolve around nature (or whats left of it) in the USA and other things in the like. There is no native blood in my AT ALL, so I'd feel cheap and weird making native metal.

I'm in a U.S Black Metal band. We've been around for about two years now. We're slowly working on our debut album. I don't think we're going to release it though until we find a label to get signed to. Here's a link to our website www.freewebs.com/cvlt/entrance.html. In there should be a link to hearing some mp3's. They sound like shit though on that website so if you listen to it just no that the actual music on cd does not sound like its being played in a tincan.

That whole American folk Black Metal idea I disagree to. Its pointless because our heritage is not from American, its from Europe. Now if you're indian than thats different.

Verdilak said:
I'm in a U.S Black Metal band. We've been around for about two years now. We're slowly working on our debut album. I don't think we're going to release it though until we find a label to get signed to. Here's a link to our website www.freewebs.com/cvlt/entrance.html. In there should be a link to hearing some mp3's. They sound like shit though on that website so if you listen to it just no that the actual music on cd does not sound like its being played in a tincan.

That whole American folk Black Metal idea I disagree to. Its pointless because our heritage is not from American, its from Europe. Now if you're indian than thats different.

Yeah thats where my problem is... I mean- I'm like almost entirely german. Its just I know that when a lot of bands write lyrics (in the US) they are focusing on the "grimness and cold" of for example Norway. I know this isn't always the case, but I also know that in some instances it is. People should spend more time in American woods and see that at times it doesn't make too much of a difference.

I'm just supporting the idea that we have to stop trying to be Emperor and Darkthrone.