American Black Metal on the rise

I understand that point of view, although I don't share it. (Should Jimmy Page have not played the blues because he was not an ex-slave from rural Mississippi?) The way I see it, music transcends bloodlines and nationalism and all that. I understand, though that black metal is often based on heritage. It's also, often, based on nature worship, though, and that's where we agree, Marksveld. That's a major part of my point with the whole Injun thing. They were worshiping the nature in which we live for thousands of years. Even if you feel wrong about playing music with a Native American influence, researching the religions of the tribes and nations which once called where you live home should help to make a more American form of black metal.

Alot of the US is alot like northern Europe. We've got mountains(sort of), forests and snow up here in Michigan. We also have the best of the Great Lakes, though. Also, our woods are different from those of Ohio in many ways. They must be hugely different from those in Norway. We've got wetlands, rivers and smaller lakes... it's a different environment than anywhere I've been.

Another thought I've had along the pagan angle is that of Voodoo. Also, the southwestern angle holds boundless possibilities. Hey, how about a song (or better yet, a whole album) based in the old west where a German preacher, an escaped slave and a Mestizo find a kinship on a trip through the mountains headed for California? Sure sounds American to me.

metu said:
I understand that point of view, although I don't share it. (Should Jimmy Page have not played the blues because he was not an ex-slave from rural Mississippi?) The way I see it, music transcends bloodlines and nationalism and all that. I understand, though that black metal is often based on heritage. It's also, often, based on nature worship, though, and that's where we agree, Marksveld. That's a major part of my point with the whole Injun thing. They were worshiping the nature in which we live for thousands of years. Even if you feel wrong about playing music with a Native American influence, researching the religions of the tribes and nations which once called where you live home should help to make a more American form of black metal.

Alot of the US is alot like northern Europe. We've got mountains(sort of), forests and snow up here in Michigan. We also have the best of the Great Lakes, though. Also, our woods are different from those of Ohio in many ways. They must be hugely different from those in Norway. We've got wetlands, rivers and smaller lakes... it's a different environment than anywhere I've been.

Another thought I've had along the pagan angle is that of Voodoo. Also, the southwestern angle holds boundless possibilities. Hey, how about a song (or better yet, a whole album) based in the old west where a German preacher, an escaped slave and a Mestizo find a kinship on a trip through the mountains headed for California? Sure sounds American to me.

You've made some awesome awesome points. Thank you for posting, most of that stuff needed to be said, even if we don't agree on everything. I really want to see people embracing the idea of keeping US black metal unique.

On another note, I like to refer to a lot of "black metal" from the USA or Canada as "Forest Metal" basically because if you take the original definition of black metal, tons of new "black metal" bands don't fit the name. Forest Metal is a term that kind of unoffically exists, but its just another one of my ideas that can be used in creating an entirely different sound from Scandanavia. We've got our inspiration, now its time to start a new wave of Black/Folk/Forest/Viking metal, since they are all linked in one way or another.

Marksveld said:
How do you all think the US Black Metal scene is doing? Honestly if you think about it, many of the best black metal acts these days are coming out of the US (Noctuary, Leviathan, Goatwhore) among France and etc. I've noticed a little uprising here on the east coast. I'm in Connecticut, and my band Aegrimonia is beginning to slowly develop a tiny fanbase. (Download our mp3s now, they're the shitty unmastered ones but it'll give you an idea of what we're all about) I've noticed a lot more bands coming out, and me and a friend are talking about organizing a show for the local black/death metal bands to play and be heard. We want to get a scene started for demo trading and companionship.

Discuss

You're definitely right about the black metal scene rising. I'm also on the east coast, New York, and I started a black/death/thrash metal band in the wintertime, Godisdead, and we're also developing a small fan base. I also saw a few other bands emerge around my area, so this scene, and metal in general is on the rise once again. I like your idea about getting a scene going. I was thinking about linking up enough people so we can all pitch in and rent out a club devoted to one good metal night here in New York, and in the long run try to get a national scene going. If you find this interesting, drop me a line at alpha_faust_1984@yahoo.com, and hopefully we can give our ideas some substance.

I've been checking out Xasthur a bit... not as good as the hype would suggest, but CERTAINLY good USBM... one of the few bands that can convey a true feeling of melancholy, and I appreciate this.

@Marksveld: I live in Connecticut too, we should really get in touch, i've been trying to find some other people into the black metal stuff other than my few friends here.....very interested in trying to attack this "forest Black MEtal" haha, just seems funy, but is actually a great idea. I should start diving into my native American roots, 'cause they do exsist.

In an effort to make rare stuff more available to people in North America... a friend (Nicodemix) and I have started up a Distro/Label. Ancient Wind Records (www.ancientwind.tk) .... see my sig.

We've stocked some Leviathan, Nasheim, and Melechesh... and we have Taake, Pagan Hellfire, Nest, and October Falls stuff coming in.

"Rising Fog" is the Wind Through the Trees demo tape that we put out in September. Two more releases are scheduled by New Years.

Take a look, thanks!

Nice thread guys, I wish I was in a position to be part of a black metal band (guitar or drums). I've recently bought a house with a huge basement for my recording and jam space, but I've still not met anybody at all from this area who's even heard of black metal, much less interested in playing such music.

I'm completely surrounded by mountains so there's no shortage of inspiration from nature around here. ;)

Good luck to you all.

Finally some recorded material...

www.myspace.com/Noltem

I guess I'd call it Atmospheric Folk/Pagan Metal. Fans of Agalloch, Vintersorg, or Ulver might be interested. Take a listen and let me know what you think- demos are available for those who want them!

Almost the kiss of death, eh Izual?

These threads; "they never die: just multiply colors."

I'll check that out Marksveld.

I'm working on a broad concept. I'll fill y'all in when I get some conclusions.

OK. How about a musical statement about the influence of Calvinism in the US? What about the role of religion on our ethnic cleansing of the Native Americans? Perhaps a whole album based on the statement "his truth goes marching on." What about the role of religion in Cold War propaganda? What about the role of religion in the the current struggle? There are so many Christians certain that Judgement Day is near; perhaps a concept which addresses a history of such movements.

The best American black metal I've encountered yet is a band by the name of Judas Iscariot. It's essentially a one man project out of Illinois. And, boy does it slay. To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding is a must own album for black metal fans.