Metal Maniacs subscription

jageorge72

Dec 13, 2001
Altoona, PA
Visit site
I'm torn. I've been a subscriber to that mag for probably 8 or 9 years, but I'm thinking about NOT renewing my subscription. I still think it's a decent magazine, but........ What else is out there that might be a better purchase? Are there any other monthly metal magazines that are better? .....and have reviews that you can actually trust?!

I like Metal Maniacs and I think it does a decent mainstream job but if you're looking for another monthly mainstream magazine with some credibility, I would recommend Terrorrizer. Covers more underground than Maniacs and has more reviews. Could be better but it's probably the best on the regular market.

:headbang:

Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles is probably the best regularly published 'big' mag.

Metal Maniacs I page through at the newsstand but after 6 years of buying every issue, Mike G and Liz C have completely killed it for me and I stopped buying this past summer.

Terrorizer is too hardcore/industrial/whatthehell and seem to have this condescending attitude towards all the damned metal I like, unless its popular, in which case they'll not shitcan it. Can't stand it. heh

I think I just might subscribe to BWBK. (....along with my LotFP Weekly, of course!)
It "looks" very impressive, but I really just care about the content. Especially at that price. The content of MM has diminished. On the bright side......MM is 120 pages, and cheaper.
Hmmm.

Holy shit, I don't know why I forgot about BW. Definitely take that over Terrorizer. Just got their new issue yesterday, Dream theater on the cover. Plus you get an awesome sampler cd with each issue. New Carnal Forge and Entombed were the highlights on it for me. Terrorizer definitely covers more extreme and not so metal genres but I like to stay up on all things extreme. I think they're fair enough overall but BW does cover all metal and hard rock scenes. Blows away Maniacs.

Metal Maniacs I page through at the newsstand but after 6 years of buying every issue, Mike G and Liz C have completely killed it for me and I stopped buying this past summer.

same here....piss of shit rag now....

I've seen Metal Maniacs at regular convenience stores or at pretty much all regular magazine/book stores. BW has only been found at The Metalfest show in Jersey and occasionally in Tower Records. I usually get it now through a small metal shop in the area. I would advise subscribing to it. Terrorizer is usually found at Tower Records or Barnes and Noble. Probably not in the smaller shops.

I decided to give up my MM subscription, check out BW&BK, and just perpetually renew my LotFP sub--period.

At this point, I feel like I've had enough MM bullshit to last several lifetimes....

Maniacs is still a good magazine, I think. It's definately seen it's better days, but it's still worth $30.00 a year.

I might try to find an issue of BW&BK first, before I subscribe. I got a lot of good feedback about it, though.

for me, the time it takes me to read what i still like in Metal Maniacs doesn't warrant its cover price. B & N usually have MM, along with Kerrang, Terrorizer, and BW&BK. fuck buying the cow when i can get the milk for free.

i'll save my dough for CD's as recommended by friends and good ol' Jim R.