Metal Music Scene in your Country

Oct 22, 2008
Turkey
www.soundcloud.com
I was wondering about this today, when i finally have little to none hope of making it (and by making it I don't mean getting super rich, just to keep it going) playing metal music in my country. Since we have people all around the world, I'm interested in the situation in your country/state. How many venues are there? How many followers as in audiences? What about live situations? - the most important factor imo. How many gigs you play in a year? When you look at your band or the bands you produce/mix, are they swimming against the current or is there some light at the end of the tunnel?

I know some places will be different than others (california maybe for US or Scandinavia for Europe), but still, it would be cool to hear some perspective.

Discuss!

I live in the Oklahoma (midwest U.S.) and the metal scene is hit and miss. I have a friend who is in a metal band who gets some pretty good opening metal shows. Recently they where going to open for Fear Factory but the show was cancelled, but even though they get those types of shows they definately don't make enough money for it to be a self sustaining profession. I've been to some great shows with mega talented bands who where somewhat famous and they where asking for a place to shower and sleep after the show because their production company couldn't afford to pay anyone, and those where some big name bands so what does that tell you about the metal scene? People play metal because they love the music not because it pays or is the hip thing todo. So what you should ask yourself is do I really love this? If the answer is yes then by all means man keep it up. Just my 2 cents \m/

Two points:

1. 20 years ago, a band like Arch Enemy would have drawn 200 people at an SF Bay Area show. Today they'll draw 10 times as many people and play a much bigger venue like the Warfield. In this sense, the metal scene is a lot better than it was.

2. 20 years ago, mosh pits were mosh pits and the live show was about going crazy and drinking and smoking. See video below. Today you have less active crowds. In this sense, the metal scene was a lot better than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in germany Metal is as popular as ever. There was a time in the mid-90's where Metal lost a bit of its popularity, but then In Flames, Dimmu Borgir and Hammerfall gave the scene a push and since then Metal has become even more popular.

The face of our scene changes from time to time, but that's not a bad thing. I like it just like it is and I hope we can go on this way for another 10 years.

Montreal. One of the best places in America for metal I have to say. It's probably because we're pretty much fanatical about bands that come from here and just generally dig the European scene too.

Berlin, CT (North East) is pretty weak on metal shows. There is only 1 venue playing metal that I am aware. The nearest place that has better shows is Palladium at MA and it is like 1 hour drive on a good day with a few tolls. NYC is around 2 hours away if there is no traffic, what is almost never. So, it is hell to get there, from there and find parking. A trip could be easy between $100-200. Before I was around Chicago for a few years. There are a few venues Empty Bottle, Double Doors, HOB, Bottom Lounge. Last year was kind of slow. May be it will pick up this year. There are a few bands around Chicago, but non of them can live from playing metal for sure. In a whole state of Indiana, there is only Indianapolis having national acts once in a while and some local bands going around. The biggest is probably Gorgasm, since Leski moved to Lafayette.

The 80's in Australia for me were great, I recall and certain vibe that isnt there today - except for places like Geelong or Albury, Metal for the Brain in Canberra was also a great event. There are still metal gigs in Melbourne, ACT, Brizzy and Sydney but not like it used to be,....every weekend we were out seeing a metal band in Sydney - then the poker machines moved in and killed most of the live venues..

Chicago's doing alright man!! Motorhead the 19th ---Cradle of Fileth the 20th--Manevolent the 22nd Kataklysm that friday. Deicide Saturday and fucking ACACIA strain with whitechapel sunday!!!!! Two days later...As blood runs black!:yow: There's always a decent show in the Chicago area, just gotta deal with all the damn traffic:mad:

Yeah theres
1. 'the house of blues'
2.'metro'
3.'the bottom lounge'
4.'reggies'
5.'bada brew' and 6.'mojoes' in joliet(about 30minutes away). All these places have the heaviest of heavy bands play constantly.:headbang:

one venue pays crazy good money to local bands. CRAZY GOOD. upper three figures.:OMG:
and oh yeah Crowbar and helmet are coming in march!!:kickass:

I think it is easier to list the countries with big/moderate metal scenes than the ones without them. Such countries should be: Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, maybe The Netherlands, USA (on some cities) and I can't think of any other. Canada has a moderate metal scene, contrary to what I thought, at least that's what the guys from Neuraxis told me once. Oh, and maybe Japan, they seem to enjoy metal too.