Metal News Thread

Originally posted by Symphony
From beginning until they reach Vienna, the support bands will be MASTERPLAN and NOSTRADAMEUS. From Langen (Germany) till the end the support acts will be MASTERPLAN and DREAM EVIL.
Now that's just not fair. How dare they have a lineup like that, and NOT do a UK date? If you didn't know, Masterplan is Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch's latest band after being kicked out of Helloween, which also features Jorn Lande (Ark and ex-Yngwie) on vocals. Nostradameus were awesome supporting Edguy/Gamma Ray, and Dream Evil had a strong first album, so I'd love to see them on stage too.

Just letting you know...GENOCIDE is having its first practise as a complete unit this Sunday! Taken six fucking months to get this far...our guitarist has some sick new songs, I've got a feeling I'll be letting everyone know what goes down after it's done... :)

Great to hear news of the Iced Earth album....thanks WW.

Some news I've picked up today is that Elvenking are going to announce their new line-up imminently...and the rumour is it'll be a 6 piece line-up.....I'll keep you all posted!

Sonata Arctica news:

The new keyboard player for Sonata Arctica has been chosen. The name of the keyboard player is Henrik Klingenberg. Henrik has earlier played in Silent Voices and Requiem.

Sonata Arctica thanks everyone who sent application for this position. We got applications from all over the world. Thank you all.

Recording of the upcoming album are now finished and it will include 10 tracks. Name of the tracks are (not in corrected order yet):

- Abandoned, Pleased, Brainwashed, Exploited
- Broken
- The Cage
- Champagne Bath
- Draw Me
- Gravenimage
- The Misery
- The Ruins of My Life
- Silver Tongue
- Victoria's Secret

IRON MAIDEN are preparing for a 2003 assault on the world's stage by announcing a few advance dates in what will be a spectacular tour next year. See Tourdates. The band have returned to London to commence writing for their next album due out sometime in 2003. Once again they will be enlisting the production talents of Kevin Shirley who also produced their "Brave New World" album. The studio recording of the new album should start in the New Year.

I'm for sure going to see Maiden live again. I saw them Live last time they were in Norway, and OMFG it was awesome! One hell of a night! :headbang:

Looking forward to their next studio album!

NP: Gamma Ray - The guardians of Mankind :headbang:

After a period of decisions, arrangemets and few news, Elvenking are finally proud to announce the setting of the new line-up.
Singer KLEID joined the elves after a long period of trial, during which he showed he had what it takes to do the job properly! He already recorded the preproduction demos of the NEW ALBUM, and the results are amazing!
More than this, the sound is enriched by ELYGHEN's violin and keyboards, which will define brand new folk atmospheres. Elyghen already helped the band in "Heathenreel", recording the violin tunes. Everyone in the group is happy to have these folks on board, we're sure they are totally fit for the band, both as musicians and as individuals.

Elvenking ended the songwriting process for the new album, which is truly what everyone in the band hoped for. Some titles are "Pathfinders", "Jigsaw Puzzle", "The prepetual knot", "Midnight Circus", "The moonchariot". Hopefully we will enter the studio in January. The new album shows the evolution of all the characteristics of our sound. The new material, which is a bit straighter than Heathenreel's, will have all the great melodies, the folk touch and the aggressiveness as trademarks of the elves, but the whole will be developed in more mature way, with a lot of different feelings and emotions.
After so much time spent in songwriting, we're completely satisfied of the songs as they are.

Ex Skyclad's frontman and actual singer of Return to the Sabbath Martin Walkyier wrote the lyrics for one song, and the collaboration in the album sure will not stop here, you'll see (or better, you'll hear.....)!
As in Heathenreel, Mr. Travis Smith will take care of the artwork; he will try to give it a very strong runic atmosphere, let's wait and see.
Stay tuned for further news, and may the winds blow fair at your back!!

Elvenking

Originally posted by Symphony
IRON MAIDEN are preparing for a 2003 assault on the world's stage by announcing a few advance dates in what will be a spectacular tour next year. See Tourdates. The band have returned to London to commence writing for their next album due out sometime in 2003. Once again they will be enlisting the production talents of Kevin Shirley who also produced their "Brave New World" album. The studio recording of the new album should start in the New Year.

Bruce Dickinson:
"We go out and do unfashionable things like having huge stage sets, explosions, fleets of trucks, hordes of crew and burn huge amounts of fossil fuel for a living."

:lol: Tell it as it is, Brucey!

I am a tad :mad: that these upcoming dates are in Europe and not here, but there is consolation...my memories of the Iron Maiden experience when Brave New World was released are precious, they were great fucking times. The Brixton shows back in March were a fucking godsend too - me and my mate waltzed out of school at lunchtime, got picked up by me dad and taken up for a night of MAIDEN, then back in school the next morning to tell everyone about it! Fuck, man, these were some of the best days of my life. The prospect of being able to live it all again....frankly, defies words :cry: :D :headbang:

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
I'm for sure going to see Maiden live again. I saw them Live last time they were in Norway, and OMFG it was awesome! One hell of a night!
Hmmm. Much as I like Maiden (and that's really quite a lot), they're far from the worlds greatest live band. I've seen them 5 or 6 times now, and if anything, they're getting worse each time. The best I've seen them was either on Bruce's farewell tour, or with Blaze. That said, the Brixton shows were at least better than the previous Shepherds Bush Empire show, so maybe they've bottomed out, and are improving again. Either way, if they play in London, I'll still go and see them.

Man, Maiden's one of the best live bands I've seen, along with BLAZE, Deep Purple and Seqouyah...love that shit! :D But oh well...

Here is some News - gig info stolen from my WayAhead ticket booking spam:

ANTHRAX Glasgow Garage Glasgow FRI 07/03/2003 19:30
ANTHRAX Manchester University Manchester THU 13/03/2003 19:30
ANTHRAX Astoria - Over 16's only London FRI 14/03/2003 19:30

BERZERKER Underworld Camden London WED 11/12/2002 19:30
BERZERKER Roadhouse Manchester SUN 15/12/2002 19:30

OPETH Mean Fiddler - Over 16's London WED 04/12/2002 19:30 OPETH Wedgewood Rooms Portsmouth MON 10/03/2003 20:00
OPETH Academy 2 Birmingham MON 17/03/2003 19:30

RAGING SPEEDHORN The Junction - Over 14's Cambridge WED 22/01/2003 19:00
RAGING SPEEDHORN Liverpool University Liverpool FRI 24/01/2003 19:30
RAGING SPEEDHORN Liquid Room Edinburgh SUN 26/01/2003 19:30
RAGING SPEEDHORN Wedgewood Rooms Portsmouth SUN 09/02/2003 19:30

STRAPPING YOUNG LAD Glasgow Garage Glasgow TUE 18/03/2003 19:30
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD Manchester University Manchester THU 20/03/2003 19:30

THE HAUNTED Mean Fiddler - Over 16's London THU 20/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED Cathouse Glasgow FRI 21/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED Oxford Zodiac Oxford SAT 22/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED The Cockpit Leeds SUN 23/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED Manchester University Manchester TUE 25/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED Academy 2 Birmingham WED 26/02/2003 19:30
THE HAUNTED Ifor Bach Cardiff THU 27/02/2003 19:30

WHOLE LOTTA LED Roadmender Northampton THU 06/02/2003 19:30
(this Led Zeppelin tribute band are doing a Whole Lotta More Gigs than this in the New Year - I'm looking to go to their Paignton one ;))

WISHBONE ASH Mean Fiddler - Over 16's London FRI 25/04/2003 19:30

This year's Wacken lineup may not be quite as stratospheric as 2001, but with Running Wild just confirmed to headline the Thursday, it's certainly shaping up nicely. I may have to reconsider my decision not to go...