Metal, socially unacceptable for its values?

Your school = the world

Not true. I get shit for it. Metalheads doesn't get messed with as much as they might, because metal is associated with violence, death, hate, etc. However, I've encountered what I would call discrimination - people who avoid or ignore you, stare, etc. As far as people not knowing what metal is, that's true...a lot of people don't. That doesn't stop them from forming opinions about it.

Very true, I thought the rest of the world might be not as against Metal because I live in a place with a lot of preppy kids and me and other Metalheads get no shit for listening to Metal, but then again I don't really wear band shirts and I'm very social.

The Metalheads that do get shit from my experience are ones that do wear band shirts and aren't very social.

The Metalheads that do get shit from my experience are ones that do wear band shirts and aren't very social.

Which would pretty much describe me - 6'3, long hair, band shirts, etc. Not that I sit in the back of the classroom and mutter slayer lyrics under my breath, but I don't usually hang out with the preppy kids...

In terms of how the music industry works, it is kind of like a huge conspiracy. The artists themselves also can be pretty cynical - releasing vacant power ballads in the winter, pretending to care about shit, publicity stunts, etc... This actually seems to be the main way in which metal is really pure. No publicity stunts, no bullshit, nobody pretends to care about orphans (some of them do, but nobody lies about it) or whatever, and the metal record labels don't conspire to only release European thrash metal or anything. Although some artists that have achieved mainstream success (Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth come to mind) have pulled some real bullshit.

I agree, Metal is more honest then a lot of other music today. Pretty much all the Rappers around today are probably not even from run down places. They're probably from lower middle class suburbs or something. The mainstream is just more popular so the artists have to make up for what they lack in music with image. But some artists do care about the starving children in Africa. If you're really rich you would probably see the world in a different way, and if you had more money to give you would give more.

Which would pretty much describe me - 6'3, long hair, band shirts, etc. Not that I sit in the back of the classroom and mutter slayer lyrics under my breath, but I don't usually hang out with the preppy kids...

I don't really hang out with preppy kids either. I hate a lot of them, especially preppy girls. They are always bashing Emos saying they're too dramatic and shit. Yet they cry about their boyfriends leaving them after going out with them for two days.

But back on topic. I wouldn't say Metal is socially unacceptable for its values, since most people don't know anything about Metal, I think its more image. Most Metalheads get associated with Goths and Emos. Basically Hardcore people, Metalheads, and Goths are all considered Emo. Which I think is retarded. In English class we picked different labels and listed the characteristics, and someone put "listens to Metal" for Emo. And when I heard it I said "Emos don't listen to Metal!" pretty loud. But anyone who wears black or something dark is grouped into the Emo category which is pretty much universally hated and also misunderstood by many people.

Well I agree with feathers and flames. Like any other genre metal has its own assholes who only want money and seem to care but don't, but not because you don't like other genres you bash them. Where I live like 90% or more are "preppy kids". Most of them do bash other genres with knowing nothing. Once some guy describe rocker with the characteristics of emo when theres no huge not even a small relationship with both things. I didn't argued that because the problem is that they ignore truth but they don't want to open their minds to other possibilities than the ones that are popular just because the don't want to lose their social status. But I have friends which are "preppy kids" a lot of them I'd say because those are the big majority of people here. Maybe they don't know shit but metal or think its only screams but they wont bash it like the before mentioned guy did that say its "ugly" music and bad for people when they most music they hear its about sex, bitches and money. Some other even if they are in this social status even accept the genre. Once some girls borrowed my mp3 player and they didn't start saying this sucks its bad, etc. the accepted it and even liked it. The difference this girls made is the tried something else instead of just following mainstream. They didn't get into metal or something like it but that's not the point. Also like I've said before, I'm friend of a some of these kids and all of them know I like metal hear it, play it, etc. and don't seem to care. At first, some group of guys do tried to bust my balls talking shit and bothering and things like that. You teach the fuckers a lesson and its over but this doesn't mean you must get violent or anything maybe its its the first thing we all make but you just have to show them how things are, that not because someone is onto metal he worships devil making human sacrifices rapping corpses and slaugthering virgins or some sort of shit people nowdays believe. People need to open their minds and not only thinking on what they like or that things they say or most people say are the ones that are correct. Sometimes there IS shit with no talent or meaning, just a bunch of assholes wanting money but if they are getting what they want they won't change it because some people don't like it so just ignore them instead of fucking your own life and others near to you by always thinkig negative about it.

just a bunch of assholes wanting money but if they are getting what they want they won't change it because some people don't like it so just ignore them instead of fucking your own life and others near to you by always thinkig negative about it.

+ 1

So many people need to realize constant bashing of a band is not going to stop them from making music, it will just irritate you more. I use to bash Fall Out Boy all the time, and ever since I stopped their sound has become less irritating to me. There are tons of people who need to realize music is a form of entertainment and not take it so fucking seriously. Some people would defend a band with much more force than they would defend a family member or friend.

So many people need to realize constant bashing of a band is not going to stop them from making music, it will just irritate you more.
You got that right. When I went to see Amon Amarth, Sonic Syndicate opened, and they sucked. But even though the whole mosh pit was sitting down and giving them the finger, they played the whole set. I got to admire their balls...although they did really suck.

Wow, thats gotta suck. For the band. I don't really hate much music, lots of people say music irritates them, nothing really irritates me unless its a constant annoying noise or a frequency which hurts my ears.

Wow, thats gotta suck. For the band. I don't really hate much music, lots of people say music irritates them, nothing really irritates me unless its a constant annoying noise or a frequency which hurts my ears.

Actually, it sucked for everyone. They never should have been on that tour. While I don't feel that people should randomly hate on bands, if you get up on stage and people boo you, it's your fault. The bassist was kinda hot, though.

This is a trivial thread anyway. We can let some less intelligent comments pass as long as they are not offensive. We don't want to be too fascistic do we?

No moderation, though seemingly contradictory, is itself a component to successful moderation.

An intelligent person however, might have instead used a little creative energy to either (a) serve the thread or at least (b) use a more appropriate channel to express his discontent, instead of bringing this discussion to a screeching halt.