The divide between acceptable and unacceptable metal to admit to listening to.

this_thread_again.jpg

Oh look, metallicdistort is being a fucking asshole AGAIN

I'll have no part in threads like this, though I'll happily lurk and laugh my ass off at people's stupidity. Every single time someone starts threads like this it ends in people whining because their favourite band got 'dissed', and to top that all off a lot of people (not all) have a habit of fluffing the facts somewhat - an action usually referred to as 'bullshitting', 'lying through your fucking teeth' or most commonly, 'not doing your research, saying the wrong thing, getting corrected and being too much of a dick to admit that you're stupid'. Then you get the endless chains of 'yeah but- yeah but-' etc. which does nothing to maintain conversation, and to top it all off you get people like metallicdistort up there who just act like a absolute shithead for the duration of the thread until it either gets locked or everyone decides to not bother making anymore threads that're just screaming out to cause trouble and/or get trolled into oblivion.

I've been your host Dave Ingram, allow me to play you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it very strange when the so-called metal 'purists' lash out every now and then, not only in the general discussion forum on this forum, or across the internet at large, about what constitutes acceptable metal to listen to and what is considered 'sell-out, unacceptable' metal, whether it be from the degenerate, naive twats at ANUS, or what have you.

The reason I bring this up was because I bore witness to a discussion recently between a younger metal fan who stated that he enjoyed the last two Machine Head albums because they had very nicely done thrash influences to their material and a lot of the riffs were well put together. Now, he caught a lot of flack from some of the older members who screamed about how Machien Head constituted one of the members of the 'nu-metal' crowd, abloobloobloo. Now, this brings up a genuine and serious question I have you for your lot:

What is your take on this apparent backlash that's taken place lately by certain groups of metalheads against bands such as Machine Head, Lamb of God and Pantera. Do you find it justified? Not justified?

I find it amusing how people can jump on other people over what they listen to.

you asked for it:

yes there is a definite backlash. when I was 15 I went to the local shows, and there were always these whiny Emo bands that thought they were metal because they had a guy screaming like Randy Blithe, or Pumel-the-drop-C-String, Sweep-And-Nothing-Else hardcore bands. none of them knew shit about any other metal bands. I got kicked out of 2 bands because 1. I prefered to stay in a standard tuning, 2. my mantra was always "Faster, Louder, Harder." If we're not scaring the parents and making people want to mosh, we're not doing it right. 3. I didn't kiss Dimebag's ass 4.they'd say they wanted to be "melodic" so I'd write melodies, then I come to find out what they mean by melodic is to Play the same three major chords so the little Emo fags could two-step. YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT THERE'S A BACKLASH. I hate the vast majority of the music that they inspired. I spent about 2 years daydreaming about a new wave of thrash bands that would come through, kick all the little guy-liner waring pissants off of the magazines, kick ass and take names LIKE FUCKING METAL WAS MEANT TO. And then It started to happen.

Everybody is probably an elitist in some way or other. Elitist is just something that gets shouted at somebody for their opinions and tastes. So what?

And Machine Head suck balls. Worst band to ever step foot on this earth. I never hate a band for cool factor. There's just generally shite bands out there.

I would say I'm a rare breed, I'm what's called a 'considerate metal elitist'. :lol:

I'm not going to lie though, I probably am an 'elitist'. I just don't feel the need to put people down for what they listen to. If I put down a band, I'll always be able to explain why I feel that way towards them. Maybe that's just being opinionated and not caring what people think rather than being 'elitist'? I don't know.

Everybody is probably an elitist in some way or other. Elitist is just something that gets shouted at somebody for their opinions and tastes. So what?

And Machine Head suck balls. Worst band to ever step foot on this earth. I never hate a band for cool factor. There's just generally shite bands out there.

It's more so when they can't back up their opinion & think that the view they provide is one which everyone should follow & believe. Shit like that fucking pisses me off to no end, aye, you are allowed an opinion & are free to voice that opinion, don't think your word is fucking holier than thou & that only that opinion is 'correct', smarmy little self righteous fuckers when it comes to music actually make me fucking rage.

Oh & in regards to Machine Head, for every hater, there is a fan.