The Boundary between Rock and Metal

i think the the past the line between metal and rock was less clear (see early Judas Priest for example). so what it ended up boiling down to was ultimate delivery, attitude and intention.

these days its more clearly defined through ideals, structures, sound etc.

well pop music developed alongside rock, and metal came from rock & roll as it was called, so metal is really quite new compared to pop and rock. Metal is better than pop though, FAR better.

no, look, my friend TOM took music tech, not Decadent, so just what are you on about? lol. Anyway, as I was saying, no, I won't guess because I have no idea

Xeroth u been smoking it up??

Anyway for me what differentiates Rock from Metal is the tuning all the way baby! If i hear that deep lowtuned crunch of a guitar I can put my finger on it and say its Metal..now probably im wrong 80% of time when I call a band metal :p like Black Stone Cherry (what fucking genre are they anyway?) because metal is much more than just low-tuned guitar..

Then again rock today doesn't use low-tuned guitars..mostly because all the rock you'll hear is Britpop :S :S and trust me, I didnt know quite how bad Britpop is until you are locked up in a room with a bunch of drunk british people playing horrible songs and singing (screaming) along to the shittiest song with the shittiest voices! I dont know how the fuck I ended up there, and I cant remember how I got out..I just remember it was one of the worst experiences of my life!

Xeroth said:
yep, my friend does music tech, and so got to know the history of metal and rock and pop and so on... is cool

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Your friend's a music tech?? And so got to know the history of metal and rock and pop and so on...??

That's way cool. If your friend gives you any other historical nuggets, be sure to pass them on right away, for those of us unfortunates who don't have a friend on the inside!