Whats the difference between Heavy metal and Traditional heavy metal

slipnuts

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2011
Whats the difference? Some bands on the metal archives are labled as Heavy metal or traiditonal heavy metal.

Some people, generally none metalheads in the media and people very new to the scene see 90s numetal as heavy metal and refer to traditional metal as rock. That would not go down well on these boards though.

to me i hate the word traditional being used to describe the original genre. there is no difference, except people might call it trad if its newer. overall its a term used by dumbasses in my opinion who know nothing about what metal is.

For what it's worth, Encyclopaedia Metallum has stopped using "traditional" since this thread was started, which probably proves there's no difference that can reasonably be distinguished.

RateYourMusic just calls it another term for the same thing. However, they do use the word to distinguish between Doom Metal and Traditional Doom Metal, so I guess there's more of a line that can be drawn there.

i was discussing that the other day, is there even such a thing as 'doom metal' that isn't trad doom, death doom, funeral doom, gothic/peaceville doom etc? i'd say 'traditional doom metal' is redundant and the trad stuff should just be called doom metal.

i was discussing that the other day, is there even such a thing as 'doom metal' that isn't trad doom, death doom, funeral doom, gothic/peaceville doom etc?
A few are missing out on their own doom subgenre I suppose. The doom metal side of the stoner & sludge-leaning bands such as Bongripper, Eagle Twin and Whitehorse. Doom bands with growls that have somehow avoided getting pigeonholed as sludge or death. Black/doom.

The amount of albums just voted as both trad doom & doom metal is kinda funny though.