Prog and Power

One is playing Journey cover songs the other is playing Journey cover songs with more notes and 11/64 time on the snare but 23/128 on the toms, hth

Yeah, the two can potentially be simultaneous, although it's rare.

Unless, by "progressive," he meant "prog" in which case even more often than above, i.e. Symphony X.potentially

Progressive means moving music forward, which is doing new things, having a unique sound, etc.

"Prog" is copying Dream Theater.

Power is another subgenre of metal.

The difference is in how overt their homosexuality is. If it's embarrasingly overt and has half-naked guys on the cover it's power metal; if it's only somewhat overt in an "art-fag" manner, it's prog.

I hate the term "prog," because metal of every genre can be progressive, including power metal, thrash, death metal, etc. But, sadly, the term is usually used to refer to such schlock as Suck Theater. I do like Nevermore and Symphony X; two bands referred to as "prog" more often than not.

"Power metal" is strictly about "power", in this sense not aggressiveness but speed, unbridled enthusiasm and uplifting emotive energy, often expressed through fantastic (not to say "Dungeons And Dragons-ish") themes, since they allow for the kind of absurdly exaggerated heroic stylings that power metal seeks.

"Prog Metal" is a bit of a catch-all term for metal that, while still being recognisable as metal, seeks to experiment with the format. Usually it means taking trad, NWOBHM and "neoclassical" metal styles and making them more complicated by using weirder instruments, scales, rhythms and song structures. You can stretch the term to include things like Blut Aus Nord which have "progged" newer streams of metal, although the bands themselves would probably prefer it if you didn't.

Or something.

Cynical said:
The difference is in how overt their homosexuality is. If it's embarrasingly overt and has half-naked guys on the cover it's power metal; if it's only somewhat overt in an "art-fag" manner, it's prog.
Profanatica are not half naked on the cover of one of their demos, because they are completely naked. ;) (don't get me wrong, I like them and Havohej. I prefer Havohej though)

Ok, with the way some of you monkeys define progressive.... Seriously, Progressive =/= something completely whacked out and avant-garde.

You could call Dark Angel a progressive band, since some of the riffs they created were obviously never played before by another band, making the music progressive for the time. Progressive is in no way a completely tangible genre title...

EDIT: Now, Power Metal, I can't stand the modern definition of. Ususally used to describe endless double bass, non-stop one string picking, wanky 'neo-classical' solos, and high vocals with absolutely no strength whatsoever; I can easily state that the modern vision of power metal sucks some serious ass. Bands such as this are Rhapsody, Stratovarius, and a million other bands from both Finland and Italy.

Now, there is REAL Power Metal, such as Crimson Glory, Jag Panzer and early Fates Warning, and this Power Metal showcases creative lead work, heavy, thick riffwork, and for the most part, excellent vocalists who can evoke heaps of power in both high and lower registers. It's good eatin'.

^

Agreed. My statement on progressive power still stands. I mean, Helloween, anyone? Blind Guardian? WOJ and TFTTW were both landmarks, respectively.