Recommend some Power/Prog.

Tri-6

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2005
Lately I discovered a few power/prog albums that have really captured my interest. I haven't been a big power metal fan or into prog that much so I was suprised by this, of course my exposure to both genres is limited. The albums I found were Kamelot - The Black Halo, Stratovarius - Visions, and Symphony X - The Damnation Game. I'm not as big on the ballads as the speedy songs but overall these albums are quite good. The Kamelot album especially is kicking my ass. Other Power and prog albums I already own.

Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys I & II - Good but not great IMO.
Conception - Flow - Good vocals but a bit light for my normal tastes.
Hollow - Modern Cathedral - Not bad but I don't listen to it often.
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth, Imaginations From The Other Side, Somewhere Far Beyond - Excellent albums, but NIME is way better than the previous stuff, being a slab of amazingly grandious and overblown fantasy power metal.
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory - Hate, Hate, HATE the vocalist. Ok music but I can't really get into this.
Angel Dust - Enlighten The Darkness - Boring and uninspiried stuff

I like the "power" more than the "prog" elements so what should I check out next?

Thanks

Symphony X
Dragonforce
Heavenly ( though you will hate the singer )
Savage Circus (sounds a lot like BG)
Elvenking (very cheesy power metal but the first album is excellent)

AsModEe said:
Symphony X
Dragonforce
Heavenly ( though you will hate the singer )
Savage Circus (sounds a lot like BG)
Elvenking (very cheesy power metal but the first album is excellent)

Yeah, get more stuff by Symphony X, they're just about the only power metal I can stand listening to.

10 best power metal bands
Helstar
Helloween (first 3 albums)
Liege Lord
Crimson Glory
early Queensryche
Metal Church
early Fates Warning
Jag Panzer
Sanctuary
Vicious Rumors

10 best prog metal bands
Queensryche
Psychotic Waltz
Fates Warning
Sieges Even (hardly metal but ..whatever)
Watchtower
Shadow Gallery
Symphony X
Depressive Age
Mayfair (the same as Sieges Even)
Power Of Omens (i could put many others in this 10th place, but since the band is no more, they have to get the praise they deserve. Especially for their debut which is a rare masterpiece).

Enjoy, and when you buy these bands' discographies, ask for more.

Varg Vikernes said:
Jag fucking Panzer

Doh, I forgot I already have Age of Mastery by JP. I don't really like it that much. Is any of thier other material different or a lot better than that album? Of course I haven't listened to Age in a long time so maybe I should bust it out again...

not into much prog or power but bands i like are The persuader, evergrey, sinergy, rising force, savage circus, silent scythe, insania, old blind guardian.

Tri-6 said:
Doh, I forgot I already have Age of Mastery by JP. I don't really like it that much. Is any of thier other material different or a lot better than that album? Of course I haven't listened to Age in a long time so maybe I should bust it out again...

It's not that great. Get their new one "Casting The Stones," and "Thane to the Throne." Or, if you really like Liege Lord or other older stuff, get "Ample Destruction."

Elvenking utterly rule. And Fates Warning can do you no wrong. Grab the Arch albums and No Exit. Hell, grab Perfect Symmetry, too.