Power metal with balls

It's funny, because it is pretty damn trendy to call Power/Speed Metal cheesy. I happen to find much more cheese in the realm of Black Metal.

Immortal, anyone?

If you want to get more kvlt, how bout Burzum? His first two albums are pretty much third tier Bathory worship with assraped vocals. Sounds like cheese to me, especially in the lyrical department.

Anyway, if you guys want the strongest Power Metal of all time, go for Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction. Metal with a vocalist who gives 110% (some of the most powerful vocals I've ever heard in my life, Harry Conklin is a vocal god), riffs of sheer explosive power, and all the lyrics have to do with either kicking ass or being awesome. That's Heavy Metal to me, folks.

DIE! FALL ON YOUR KNEES! FALL ON YOUR SWORD!

Virgin fucking Steele. Good stuff. I recommend Invictus a lot.

I checked out Lost Horizon. A bit cheesy for my taste, I'll try again later. And I continue to be owned by Agent Steel, who are somewhat more speed/thrash-y but still excellent.

And AJ–#1 do you like post-Baloff Exodus? Cause the possibly annoying traits of Blitz's voice as the same as those of Zetro's. #2 get over the vocals, you sound like one of those guys who refuses to listen to Metallica cause "he's just yelling." RIFFWORK, CHUM. #3 the riffwork rules and you cannot deny that.

That's all.

Fates Warning is good but Symphony X is better. Symphony X's latest album "The Odyssey" is in my favorites of all time and it is the perfect blend of power and prog. This band really delivers live as I have seen them three times the latest opening for Queensryche. As far as Fates Warning they were a great band turned to an ok band. I like some of their today stuff but it does get boring and I really have to be in a certain mood to listen to A Pleasant Shade of Gray or Disconnected. I also own Parallels which is ok but a bit too Queensryche. Aside from those three I own the first two albums which just fucking kill and everyone should own them.

Edguy is a great band and one of my favorites in power metal. They get cheesy but they also make some killer stuff and they are all about having a good time. Mandrake is a phenomenal album but their latest effort Hellfire Club is my favorite and probably my number one of this year so far. Some of the stuff they come up with is just so brilliant and you don't have to take it all seriously. Listen to "King Of Fools". Delievers a great message but its a fun song. Even more fun listen to "Lavatory Love Machine" rather than being a typical power metal band and making a cheesy songa bout having sex with dragons and holding the almighty sword of steel they are talking about an airplane going down and fucking the living shit out of the stewardist before they die... now thats metal.

Tad Morose - fucking killer. I was turned on to them with their latest album Modus Vivendi. They are original and have elements of Queensryche, Savatage, and WASP in them. The only thing from WASP is that lead singer Urban Breed has some similair vocals to Blackie Lawless. The music kicks ass, the vocals arent high pitch or cheesy more aggressive. Get the new album and listen to songs like "No Mercy", "Clearly Insane", "Take On The World", and "Life In A Lonley Grave" and tell me this band isnt good.

Edguy and Tad Morose are doing a one off show together at BB Kings in New York City September 15. I can't fucking wait.

Grave Digger - Possibly my number 1 favorite power metal band. I flew from New Jersey to Cleveland, Ohio in June to see them perform at the Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles Festival which marked their first ever show in America. The vocals are rough, the music kicks ass, you can't ask for more. Their only weak album which is still close to above average is War Games. You can't go wrong with anything by them though especially The Reaper, Heart Of Darkness, and The Grave Digger.

Running Wild - This band falls right behind Grave Digger for me. Yo ucan't make cheesier topics than pirate ship and hidden treasure but you can't make more kick ass music than this band. They are very good and long overdue to come to America. Their a perfect blend of speed and power. Under Jolly Roger is essential "Raise Your Fist" is a metal anthem.

Stratovarius - Was a great band, what they are now? God only knows. Very positive messages in music really some of the greatest stuff I have ever heard comes from Visions, Destiny, and Episode. Three amazing albums. "I Walk To My Own Song" off their latest album Elements 2 is one of the most uplifting motivational songs I have ever listened to. While Elements 1 and 2 werent the greatest they have their moments. Get their mid to late 90's stuff.

Rage - Killer band. One of the German power metal pioneers with Helloween, Sinner, Grave Digger, and Running Wild. Thrashy at times, speedy at times, never a dull moment with this band. Listen to Execution Guaranteed and you will be floored.

Brainstorm - I can't say enough good shit about this band. Their latest album Soul Temptation was among my top three for 2003 and it just fucking kills. The vocals are aggressive and the song topics are not your traditional stuff. They do get epic and they totally deliver when they do. Listen to the first three songs off the latest album "Highs Without Lows", "Doorway To Survive", and "The Leading" it doesn't get much better than that. Saw them do their first American show at the BWBK 6 Pack Weekend and was blown away, stood front row for them.

There are many other great power metal bands such as Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Metal Church, Attacker, Zandelle, Sonata Arctica, Jag Panzer, Helstar, Savatage, Seven Witches, Rhapsody and Hammerfall (yeah Hammerfall and Rhapsody are rather cheesy but they do kick ass and when im working out in the gym their music can really give me a rush to keep going and finish my set).

Right fucking on. I do in fact own Soul Temptation, and it's fucking cool...I've heard one song off of Unholy, that being "Holy War," which absolutely fucking rules to the Nth degree. Is the rest of the album anything like that?

Symphony X is pretty cool, though they're generally more chill-out music for me. And as I may have stated, fuck post-No Exit Fates Warning in its anus. It's not Alder, it's the crap songwriting.

Pyrus said:
So this is a thread for people who like power metal, but hate wussy music. Sound like a contradiction? Sadly, yes, but here is where we find bands that defy that stereotype. I'll start.

Fates Warning?before they turned into a mediocre prog metal wank-party, Fates Warning produced some of the greatest old-school power metal albums known to man. "The Apparition" is THE fucking power metal song. Check out Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian.

Wuthering Heights?really well done speed/power, despite being named after the second most boring English Literature requirement of all time. They'll occasionally wander off on a keyboard-driven trip through the daisies ("Lament for Lorien"), but songs like "The Road Goes Ever On" and the "Longing for the Woods" trilogy combine an excellent sense of traditional melody and an ability to riff with homicidal intensity. Far From the Madding Crowd pwns thee.

Manticora?OH FUCK YEAH! The best power metal band since Helstar, even since Helloween?epic and loaded with speed metal riffage, with some fucking great vocals. Keyboards used for atmosphere and occasional effects, drums that are fast and heavy without straying into flower metal double-bass overload, solos from hell...you want this, friends and neighbors. Hyperion is one of the best albums of the past five years.

Samples from these bands can be found at their official websites (go to metal-archives for links).

Your turn, folks.

I think Fates warning is more Prog than power.

I think the bands that really rip that are power metal are Metal Church (especially Howe era.... oldschool stuff,) Angel Dust and Tad Morose.

Bryant

Pyrus said:
DIE!
I checked out Lost Horizon. A bit cheesy for my taste, I'll try again later. And I continue to be owned by Agent Steel, who are somewhat more speed/thrash-y but still excellent.

And AJ–#1 do you like post-Baloff Exodus? Cause the possibly annoying traits of Blitz's voice as the same as those of Zetro's. #2 get over the vocals, you sound like one of those guys who refuses to listen to Metallica cause "he's just yelling." RIFFWORK, CHUM. #3 the riffwork rules and you cannot deny that.

That's all.
I enjoy Lost Horizon from time to time, not what I want to hear all the time, but not the worst. As I said, power metal really lost it's magic for me. I like darker music.

@Pyrus-I do not like Zetro. And as I said before, I prefer the more intense style of vocals. I used to hate growling, but then it grew on me, the louder the better, more screams, please. Go figure?

I saw Jag Panzer opening for Helloween last year. I really didn't like it. Never in my life have I saw a singer make such a demonstration of gayness. Cool voice, but fucking non stop fag moves...I just couldn't stand him...The lead guitarist did impress me however.

I think that Primal Fear is definetly a power metal band with big ballz. Songs like Black Sun, Angel in Black, Cold Day in Hell comes to mind. Soaring vocals, pounding drums and bad ass riffage. Satisfaction garanteed.
There also are the prog/power bands like Symphony X, Adagio and Evergrey that are almost completly cheese-free. Nice shit.
Obviously I think that Helloween and Stratovarius are ultimate power metal bands.

By the way, dude, this is exactly the thread where you should not mention names like Rhapsody and Hammerfall....these to are arguably the cheesiest (which meens worst in my opinion) power metal bands ever.

This may make me sound like a dumbass but are nevermore/sanctuary considered powermetal. I don't know because when i call them thrash or heavy metal i get called a dumbass and when i call them power metal i get called a dumbass so i'm a dumbass no matter what i do. either way i think they have balls. thank you and goodday.

Dusk said:
This may make me sound like a dumbass but are nevermore/sanctuary considered powermetal. I don't know because when i call them thrash or heavy metal i get called a dumbass and when i call them power metal i get called a dumbass so i'm a dumbass no matter what i do. either way i think they have balls. thank you and goodday.
Sanctuary was power metal. Nevermore is not.

Dodens Grav said:
It seems that the situation is reversed now. How pleasant. I find that Blut Aus Nord is trite, and has limited musical value.

What've you heard, because you're surely looking at it wrong.

Bleh, I can't stand Primal Fear. Ralf Scheepers's voice isn't exactly horrible, but the melodies he sings are god-awful annoying, and musically, they're not much better than Hammerfall.

Nevermore is indefinable, but Sanctuary is definitely POWAR METAL WITH BALLS that all should hear (the first LP, at least).

I've heard everything from power metal to grunge/thrash to death metal with clean vocals to "another modern abomination." I sorta like the grunge/thrash thing myself.

Of course, their style has changed quite a bit over the five albums...the debut is rather close to power metal, Politics is thrashy, Dead Heart is modern Machine Head-sounding, and I dunno what the fuck DNB and EoR are.

You really think EoR is better than DHiaDW? That's weird, everyone else I've spoken to thinks that DHiaDW is better. The production job, I think, on EoR was lackluster. But, yeah, I can't agree more about the riffs. They make some of Mesuggah's riffs look like a carnival.

DHiaDW is a fucking awesome album. I don't find the riffs monotone at all... The River Dragon Has Come is tha shit dude. Haven't heard the other albums yet though.