Power metal with balls

Lies and Perfidy

Gentleman of the Road
Nov 27, 2002
Washington, Washing-Ton
thefinger.wordpress.com
So this is a thread for people who like power metal, but hate wussy music. Sound like a contradiction? Sadly, yes, but here is where we find bands that defy that stereotype. I'll start.

Fates Warning–before they turned into a mediocre prog metal wank-party, Fates Warning produced some of the greatest old-school power metal albums known to man. "The Apparition" is THE fucking power metal song. Check out Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian.

Wuthering Heights–really well done speed/power, despite being named after the second most boring English Literature requirement of all time. They'll occasionally wander off on a keyboard-driven trip through the daisies ("Lament for Lorien"), but songs like "The Road Goes Ever On" and the "Longing for the Woods" trilogy combine an excellent sense of traditional melody and an ability to riff with homicidal intensity. Far From the Madding Crowd pwns thee.

Manticora–OH FUCK YEAH! The best power metal band since Helstar, even since Helloween–epic and loaded with speed metal riffage, with some fucking great vocals. Keyboards used for atmosphere and occasional effects, drums that are fast and heavy without straying into flower metal double-bass overload, solos from hell...you want this, friends and neighbors. Hyperion is one of the best albums of the past five years.

Samples from these bands can be found at their official websites (go to metal-archives for links).

Your turn, folks.

Pyrus said:
Fates Warning–before they turned into a mediocre prog metal wank-party, Fates Warning produced some of the greatest old-school power metal albums known to man. "The Apparition" is THE fucking power metal song. Check out Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian.

I’ve recently acquired “Awaken The Guardian” and I absolutely love it. Is there any bands/albums that are in the vain of early Fates Warning?

Pyrus said:
Helstar is pretty similar–they even throw in random thrash breaks like FW does in "The Apparition." Check out Remnants of War.
I have heard about Fates Warning for a long time but haven't bothered to pick any up because I am not really big on Power metal. Might give them a try.

Yea I will be purchasing that one in a couple weeks. What's the endymonia Dan Simmons Books about? I know its a city in Hyperion. But I'm not too sure if it has any relationship at all with the 2 Hyperion novels.

FUCK, I was literally seconds away from making a thread just like this! DAMN YOU, JEWSPAWN. :p

No one on this board even knows what the fuck Power Metal is. Listen the Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction:

1. It's Power Fucking Metal. Not this fake modern shit with the flowery double bass, harmless singers, and wanky solos without any riffwork whatsoever.

2. If you don't like it, I don't understand how you can say you're into Metal.

EDIT: AllWithinMyMonster - It is based on the book, but names and places were changed to avoid legal bullshit.

I bought Fate's Warning "Disconnected" a little bit ago and it didn't grab my attention at all... It also didn't sound very power-metal-like to me. *shrugs* Maybe I picked up the wrong album.

Tool said:
I bought Fate's Warning "Disconnected" a little bit ago and it didn't grab my attention at all... It also didn't sound very power-metal-like to me. *shrugs* Maybe I picked up the wrong album.

You picked up the wrong fucking album! Holy shit, you couldn't have picked up something worse.

Here's a hint: READ the album name next to the recommended band.

Pyrus: Thane and Decade. Mecahinized Warfare is catchy, but really formulaic.

EDIT: Also to Pyrus: The singer on No Exit was Ray Alder. He was pretty damn good, then got boring along with the rest of the band.

Another Edit: To J: Yeah, Neurosis and The Haunted are Heavy Fucking Metal. Rock on, dude. :headbang:

Pyrus said:
There we go, that's what I'll leech next. Some Jag Panzer.

My options are Decade of the Nail-Spiked Bat, Mechanized Warfare and Thane To the Throne. Which do I want?

From what little I have heard from those albums I'd definetaly go with Mechanized Warfare. Reminded me a little of Control Denied. The other 2 albums you mentioned reminded me of something I'd hear off the album "Holy Diver". Go with jean-pierres advice though. He's the jag panzer fanboy :D

Jean-Pierre said:
Another Edit: To J: Yeah, Neurosis and The Haunted are Heavy Fucking Metal. Rock on, dude. :headbang:
Neurosis, I don't consider them metal at all. Their roots are in hardcore.

The Haunted, meh.