The Boundary between Rock and Metal

There are metal bands with pop 70's and rock influences.

All these things don't always clash or are so seperate in the music world. Some people think music they listen to is always so much different or disconnected from another style but it's not always true.

To be honest, there are plenty of bands that straddle that thin divide. I'm not trained in music theory, so I don't know how to define it, but bands which could be either i.m.o.

Early Judas Priest
AC/DC
Some latter period Black Sabbath
Witchcraft

Just one more comment to make here (Since I already explained my opinion)

Killbot you fucking crack me up. :p

Both rock and metal guitarists use distortion, but metal guitarists sometimes tend to have more, and the EQ settings for it are usually Low and High as high as they'll go, and Mid all the way down. Rock usually has a lot of mids.

definitely...i got the Death Metal Distortion Pedal and i got high Bass high High high Low no Mid...it gives me to much of a punkish sound.

Metal bands also use different instruments compared to the hard rock lineup of guitar, vocal/guitar, drums, bass

noitcefrepdewalf said:
no i mean like in progressive metal and experimental metal and symphonic black and melodic death an organ or keyboard or mellotron or a violin section is more common than in hard rock

I see. You are right, metal has more of a range of instruments used in that sense than rock.

The "catchy hook" theory for distinguishing rock doesn't really work - I mean you've got most metallica, megadeth, priest songs with catchy choruses and some rock bands with no choruses at all.

Isn't the main difference that in metal the instrument which provides the melody, the guitar, is also used percussively? Each beat or segment of a beat is occupied and emphasised by a note or chord of the guitar, while in rock the melodies are usually simply arranged or draped across a bar for melodic effect only. That's what makes metal "heavy"

cookiecutter said:
I see. You are right, metal has more of a range of instruments used in that sense than rock.
depends on what rock you are comparing, for example pink floyd, genesis, king crimson and a lot of the 70s rock bands use lots of instruments..

the same goes for song structure's etc, a lot of those 70s bands have complex melodies, odd time signatures, compositions that are not chorus oriented, long compositions, etc

the main difference nowdays is the agression and heaviness, but early metal and rock have a lot of similarities.
for example i think that king crimson's lark's tongues in aspic pt.2 is more metal than black sabbath's paranoid for instance, although paranoid has that palm muted metal riff, it sounds like pop to my ears lol, just an example...