metal songs that could be #1 on the pop charts

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
In preparing for the Maiden gig next week, I brought some Maiden CDs to work and, of course, blasted them in the early morning hours....long before anyone else arrives at the office (I;m an early bird).

Anyway, a young co-worker (approx 23-24 years) comes running over and says "What the hell is that? That's awesome!!!". He was referring to the godly RAINMAKER. The guy was "floored" (his words!). After I told him who the band was, he was in a state of disbelief. If I recall correctly, his words were "Iron Maiden? Isn't that some cheesy 80s hair band?" LOL

Anyway, this coworker wants me to burn a 'best of' Maiden for him! And it's my pleasure to fulfill his wish!

It's ocurred to me that there are plenty of metal tunes that the "general public" would LOVE if they were exposed to them and if they didn't buy into the (incorrect) steretypes.

Rainmaker is one such song. The infectious chorus and melody could have been penned by McCartney & Lennon, IMO.

What other metal tracks do you feel are so melodic that even the wimpiest of pop fans would dig it?

Edge Of Thorns by Savatage is definitely one. I think. Can't say I know anyone who doesn't like it!

Gamma Ray's Send Me A Sign is another fine example, actually many power metal bands would sell millions in a perfect world. Helloween usually has at least one mainstreamy gem on each album.

Oh yeah, definitely Slough Feg's Hiberno-Latin Invasion! I know they're the absolute last band to top any charts but damn if that's not one catchy tune!

Platinum Maze said:
Impellitteri - Propaganda Mind
Yeah, that and "Punk"!

Here's a few off the top of my head:
Skid Row - 18 and Life (How can you NOT love this song?)
Maiden - Run to the Hills (Catchy as phuck)
Edguy - King of Fools (I've gotten a few non-metal fans to like this song :kickass:)
Ratt - Shame Shame Shame (Just downright catchy)
Fozzy - End of Days
Dream Theater - Another Day (A metal jazz song? Shyaa!)
Fates Warning - Life in Still Water
Dream Evil - Chasing the Dragon

.....I could go on and on. This city is filled with pop/punk/alternative/casual rock fans but very few metal heads. :cry:

The first that come to mind

Crimson Glory - Lonely
Fates Warning - Eye to Eye & Life In Still Water
Judas Priest - Touch of Evil
Loudness - Crazy Nights

There are so many...:)

Motorhead - 'Born To Raise Hell'
Black Sabbath - 'Never Say Die'
Taraxacum - 'Dark Sunglasses'
Judas Priest - 'Turbo Lover'
Dream Evil - 'H.M.J.'
Amorphis - 'Day Of Your Beliefs'
Angra - 'Holy Land'
Jorn - 'Christine'
Axe - 'Jennifer'
Ayreon - 'Valley Of The Queens'
Blind Guardian - Mordred's Song
Cathedral - 'Midnight Mountain'
Alice Cooper - 'Poison'
Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin' For You
Deep Purple - I've Got Your Number
Riot - 'Santa Maria'
Freedom Call - 'Turn Back Time'
Helloween - Anything My Mama Don't Like
Pink Cream 69 - 'Burn Your Soul' (ultimate dancing song)
Nightwish - 'Angels Fall First'
Thin Lizzy - Baby Please Don't Go
Rainbow - 'I Surrender'
Rush - 'Losing It'

etc.

poundingmetal74 said:
Yeah, that and "Punk"!

Here's a few off the top of my head:
Skid Row - 18 and Life (How can you NOT love this song?)

I guess you were too young or weren't born back then but this was a pop hit song back when it came out.. god I feel old lol ... :erk:

Metal Dog said:
Yep Alice at his poptastic best in fact I think some dire dance band covered this a couple of years ago? Also hear it coming from the trendy night club next door now and then.

Well actually some of what we call classic rock was "pop enough" in its own time: Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, B.O.C., Lynyrd Skynyrd, B.T.O., Uriah Heep, etc.

And the definition of "pop enough" is also questionable. I used to attend a disco here that had King Crimson, Saxon, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin as regular for dancing!

Nowdays we have a guy from Frankfurt who used to be a DJ there (moved to live in CR, some people are nuts) and he specializes in metal.

The only metal radio show in here today plays on a station that specializes in reggaeton :puke: , but for 2 h on Thursday metal rules the airwaves.

And finally pop comes from popular and metal is quite popular among ourselves, the bands involved try to make a buck out of it so there's commerce involved, websites and magazines are devoted to it and thus if someone objectively examine us as a collective how will we look? ;)

Wyvern said:
Nowdays we have a guy from Frankfurt who used to be a DJ there (moved to live in CR, some people are nuts) and he specializes in metal.

Who wouldn't want to move there? it's a beautiful country... :kickass: but I'm not going back to CR any time soon... family problems and rather not see anyone in my family that is involved in the problem... if i were to go back would be to visit you and another friend in CR... :cool:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I guess you were too young or weren't born back then but this was a pop hit song back when it came out.. god I feel old lol ... :erk:

I thought Remember and/or Youth were. Many songs people are listing were "pop" songs as well, even though most classify as hard rock or metal.

Hell, you could name any songs from Pyromania / Hysteria.

poundingmetal74 said:
I thought Remember and/or Youth were. Many songs people are listing were "pop" songs as well, even though most classify as hard rock or metal.

Hell, you could name any songs from Pyromania / Hysteria.

Yup those two songs as well along with 18 and life... and yup Pyromania's songs as well (it is what got me into metal in the first place back in 1983 along with Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister)... Hysteria was/is a pop album.. nothing metal or hard rock about that album at all ...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Who wouldn't want to move there?

Me! It's easy to like the place when you are just visiting it, but I won't recommend to anyone to live here more than a year much less 33 :erk: