Metalcore stuff with some vocals (PodXT + DFHS)

Zool2107

Jul 4, 2007
Hungary, Salgótarján
Hi!
I've made a recording for a local band, here is a short sample (they've asked me to not share the complete track until we finish the whole stuff):
http://www.esnips.com/doc/c9a8221e-206d-4b94-8801-033f2b0f25a5/Presage-of-Insanity---Demo-Track-1

There is 6 guitar tracks (3-3 takes on both guitar), I've used PodXT for the tone (the cabinet modelling is with the pod too, but I will try to make it with impulses later), bass double tracked (Ampeg SVX + impulse), the drum is DFHS (the kick drum is one of Andy's sample) since I don't have the equipment to record drums so I've recorded the drummer's performance with a videocam and edited the drum track based on the recording :cool: , vocal is recorded with a Shure SM58.
Opinions, suggestions?

holy shit awesome tunes!
who are they? glad to hear some killer riffs from homeland!:)
the mix is uncritizable!

Thanks for the feedback :)
They are some young guys from my city (their average age is around 21-22 years I think - only the drummer is around 35). The band's name is "Presage of Insanity" here is an interview with one of their guitarist (Hungarian language): passzio.hu

I've checked the mix on multiple systems and I think the low end should be boosted a bit. Could this lacking low end caused by the fact that I've usually mix in headphones?
I know that mixing in cans is not the best solution, but I have to do this at night (daytime job) and my bride isn't really happy to hear the same song/riff/scream over and over again :rolleyes:

Great tone and mix! Mind share the PODxt patch? And how did you panned the doubletracked bass? Congratulations.

Thx :)

Here are the patches (I hope that the links will work):
Patch 1
Patch 2

I've used patch 1 on 4 tracks panned 100% and 80% left/right, and "patch 2" is on 2 tracks panned 50% l/r.

There is a low pass filter on all guitar tracks at 10kHz. On the guitar bus track there is a C4 with Andy's settings, an EQ with Colin's settings, a compressor with 4:1 ratio 20 ms attack and release time, and a treshold to have about 1-2 dB of gain reduction, after these I've used another eq with a hpf at 80Hz and lpf at 12kHz and a 6dB cut at 5300Hz with a narrow Q setting.

There is some other plugins on the 2track (hpf, multiband compressor, eq, compressor, tape saturation plugin, clipper, limiter).

Both of the bass tracks are panned center, one of the bass tracks has a clean setting in the Ampeg SVX plugin, and an eq with the highs rolled off at 5kHz. The other bass track is slightly distorted/overdriven (Ampeg SVX too), there is a hpf@280Hz and a wide boost around 4500Hz - this track is mixed 6dB below the clean bass. Then I've routed both of them to a bus, and added compression and some eq (hpf@50Hz, boost at 2100Hz and lpf@6200Hz).

Cracking job - the song sounds good, and the mix sounds great. All I'd say is that the vocals sound a little dry - some subtle delay/reverb might help blend them into the mix a little more fully.

A couple of tips I found online regarding vocal processing (not saying these apply to your mix particularly, just that they might be of interest):

"Vocal reverb sounding muddy? Don't send so much bass to the reverb. Use EQ before the reverb and take out everything below 3,000 Hz. This gives a nice, bright splash on the plosives and hard consonant sounds. This can make the words more intelligible in a busy mix, too.

Put a delay before your reverb and set it to a 100% short delay with no feedback. Send a vocal line to the delay and then on to the reverb. In the mix, you'll first hear the dry vocal. The delay line then creates a gap before the reverb begins. This makes the room seem bigger, without needing a long (read: muddy) reverb time. Adjust the delay time to fit your music. On choppy vocals it's cool. Dry sound . . . silence . . . reverb splash."

Thank you very much for the patches and all the info man! Awesome. BTW, the Colin´s EQ settings that you are talking about is that
around
8-10 khz for the air 4-6 khz for the bite area, usually 1.5 khz for the in your face effect, 400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab.
?

Thank you very much for the patches and all the info man! Awesome. BTW, the Colin´s EQ settings that you are talking about is that ?

Yes that's it. I've ended up to boost those frequencies about 3-4 dB.

dill_the_devil:
Thanks for the tip ;) I've just realized after checking the project last night, that I've forgot to unmute the reverb send :rolleyes: Btw I'm always in trouble when trying to find a good reverb setting, and usually ending up using presets.

Other thing I will experiment with (I've read about this here in the forums), is to copy the main vocal track to 2 other tracks, and pan those left and right and apply some pitch shifting to them (few cents up on one side, and few cents down on the other). I've quickly tried this during the vocal tracking (when we listened back the takes) and it was a pretty decent effect.