ride the lightning- 194,087
master of puppets- 242,489
and justice for all- 221,141
black album- 459,091
load- 72,922
reload- 91,616
garage inc- 73,207
s&m- 83,416

Holy shit. The black album just about goes platinum and Puppets/Justic/RTL just about go gold every two years! STILL.

Cripes. Metallica must wipe their arse with money.

Poor Dave, its gotta suck when KEA will probably outsell TSHF in 2004 :) Actually, it probably doesnt because he would be getting royalties...

What the hell are you doing up Coops? It must be 3am 1985 over in Perth right now :)

I know Dave claims he wrote that riff, but im skeptical about that, I dont know why Metallica would credit him on a lot of the RTL and KEA stuff and then not do it on MOP. Maybe he did, who knows, it obviously didnt bother him too much if he never sued them about it or anything, he was probably busy making his own millions anyway :)

You know, I really wish Metallica didnt suck so much now, they used to rock :( (They are still great live though :worship: )

Dave Mustaine must be so happy about St. Anger, even Risk and TWNAH are better by a considerable margin than St. Anger, he finally got one up on the bastards :)

Yeah, but Metallica's a no-brainer. If you're "into" thrash you pretty much have to own a Metallica album. And a lot of the back catalogue sales have probably come from latter-day Metallica fans going back to complete their collections. They would be Metallica fans first, and thrash fans second. Also, you can get Metallica albums just about anywhere. It's harder to get some other early thrash albums. Some of them aren't even pressed anymore.

What about the dude who wrote Motorbreat and Hit The Lights and got no credit at all? Hugh Tanner or something?

I doubt Dave had much to do with Leper Messiah. The riff doesn't sound very Mustaine like, where as something like Ride The Lightning, which he did have a hand in, has 'Deth written all over it.

That sure is a fuckload of sales.

Ever since seeing Some Kind Of Monster, I have gotten back into Metallica again in a big way. Seeing them this year and reading setlists that they are playing recently has impressed me a lot. They have started mixing it up heaps and playing some really left field choices, which is great. Call of Ktulu, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Damage Inc, Dyers Eve have all been thrown into the set list as of late, as well as less recent introductions as Hit The Lights, Ride The Lightning and Blackened. And they are also mixing it up with some Load/Re-Load era stuff (just the odd song here and there) that they hadn't played before too, like Wasting My Hate, which is cool. St Anger material sounds heaps better when played live too, and I have gotten back into St Anger a bit as of late. I really look forward to seeing what they come up with on the next album, which is due out around November 2005 I think.

Also, the release of the SKOM DVD has been put forward to January I think. :headbang:

No idea, but in Daves case, why would they credit him with the stuff he wrote for the first two albums and then not that song?

/me shits his pants

It still surprises me that people say Metallica sold out with the Loads.

*looks at sales*

Yep, definately made those albums purely for money.

as Lars often said in interviews... he wasn't making a stand solely for Metallica, he was also doing it for the up and coming band who can't afford to have everyone downloading their songs instead of buying their CDs.

And with regards to how it affected Metallica, he said it was a general rights issue. They owned the songs and if they should have control over them. It's not like you can walk into a shop and just take a TV...

well he was in a big band that was able to take the actions they did, so he went for it. It looked bad for the band, but when you think about it, it was a big risk to take and he was pretty brave for doing it.

I agree with Lars also. That was a rather sarcastic post really. It's giving the Lars-knockers fuel for the fire when figures like that come out, though. Lars' stand on downloaders was really not that different to the stand Led Zeppelin took on bootleggers, except that Zeppelin's minders and crew used to actually bash people they found recording their gigs. I'm not sure if Metallica has gone that far. No, Metallica was totally right taking a stand against illegal downloads, but I don't agree with the way they did it.

ceydn said:
well he was in a big band that was able to take the actions they did, so he went for it. It looked bad for the band, but when you think about it, it was a big risk to take and he was pretty brave for doing it.
Actually, if Metallica weren't as big a band as what they are, he probably would have been completely ignored. It was only because they are one of the biggest bands in the world that anyone even listened to him.

Metallica actually let people record their live gigs, they even have sections for tapers on some of their tours :headbang: