Megadeth vs Metallica: Album by Album

I've listened to three songs. They rule. I had little to no hope for this, even after hearing the sample on the website awhile back (the "hello my droogies" bit), but those feelings are gone. This shit rules.

:kickass:

Demonspell said:
I've still only heard two tracks partly in fear of succumbing to comeback hype and having my expectations deflated, but I trust everyone and welcome a return to near-peak quality...
It depends on what you would call a 'comeback'. People expecting RiP or Peace Sells part 2 are just being moronic. However, if you would agree that a new album possibly surpassing Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings, and perhaps matching Countdown would consitute as a 'comeback' (as I would), then prepare to be nicely surprised.

Oh and don't get me wrong, as with ALL Megadeth albums (except for RiP), there are 1 or 2 clunkers on the album, no doubt about it. You just need to put it all into perspective for what was, and what will be...

Listening to the new Megadeth now. It's decent, but nothing to crap your pants about. 5 years ago I would've been all over this, but now I'm pretty sure I won't be buying it. I'd put it on par with Cryptic Writings, not as good as Youthanasia, and certainly not as good as anything earlier than that. But that's just on first listen; I'll give it more time.

jimbobhickville said:
Listening to the new Megadeth now. It's decent, but nothing to crap your pants about. 5 years ago I would've been all over this, but now I'm pretty sure I won't be buying it. I'd put it on par with Cryptic Writings
I would rank it higher than Cryptic Writings for sure. I think I just crapped my pants too. :tickled:

Thing is, I went into this automatically assuming that Megadeth wouldn't surpass RiP, Peace Sells, or So Far So Good. I think some other people's expectations here are way too high considering 12 months ago, Megadeth no longer even existed. It's like disillusioned Iron Maiden fans still waiting for another Powerslave. Pfft, they need to get a life and rock out to teh Dance of Death! :kickass:

Killing is my Business vs. Kill 'em All - KIMB remaster
Peace Sells vs. Ride the Lightning - RTL
So Far So Good So What vs. Master of Puppets - MOP
Rust in Peace vs. And Justice for All - RIP
Countdown to Extinction vs. Black Album - Countdown
Youthanasia vs. Load - Both suck can't decide :puke:
Cryptic Writings vs. Reload - CW
Risk vs. Garage Inc - Garage Inc ~ It doesn't get any worse than Risk
The World Needs a Hero vs St Anger - TWNAH ~ Correction Risk isn't worse than St. Crap:yuk:

i just got my hands on the new Megadeth promo also and after a few listens I am not sure what to think. While it is good, musically, there is not one song on it that grabbed me instantly. The songs just go all over the place ...

BACK IN THE DAY, is a cool song ... some Maidenish things in it of all things. Some good riffs.

Will give it some more spins. Definetelly their best since Cryptic, but as of now I like Cryptic better.

lurch70 said:
i just got my hands on the new Megadeth promo also and after a few listens I am not sure what to think. While it is good, musically, there is not one song on it that grabbed me instantly. The songs just go all over the place ...

BACK IN THE DAY, is a cool song ... some Maidenish things in it of all things. Some good riffs.

Will give it some more spins. Definetelly their best since Cryptic, but as of now I like Cryptic better.
Aurel - some songs are a little more instant than others. Check out Blackmail the Universe and Kick the Chair (both going back to the days of riffs of old) and then check out The Scorpion for the typical CW-style Megadeth chorus. Those songs should kick your ass.

The playing is tight as fuck, and give it a few spins - after a while, Chris Poland's magic starts to seep through, and you can really hear his mature playing. He doesn't sound like a typical heavy metal guitarist if you get what I mean. And I think the drummer used to play with Frank Zappa, so overall you get this kinda "improv" feel to the album, which is why you probably thought it was 'all over the place'.

Like all good Megadeth, it gets better over time. I dunno, but this album just seems to be a little more 'intellectual' than anything since CTE. I like when Mustaine is on a political trip (it brings out his anger) and less concerned about singing Wrestling anthems or psycho bikers.

I noticed that other than Blackmail the Universe, they've reordered the tracks on the actual release compared to the MP3 leak so I'll have to get back to you since I can't remember the other song titles, just the numbers, heh.

1. Rust in Peace
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Master of Puppets
4. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
5. Kill 'em All
6. ...and Justice for All
7. Killing is my Business... and Business is Good!
8. i don't really give a shit after this
9. I SAID I DON'T REALLY GIVE A SHIT
10. okay fine Garage Inc whatever the Mercyful Fate medley is pretty kool

Killing is my Business vs. Kill 'em All (But Megadeth still wins cause Mustaine Wrote 'Em All)
Peace Sells vs. Ride the Lightning (I need to listen to Peace Sells more but I lean towards RtL)
So Far So Good So What vs. Master of Puppets (need to listen to both more)
Rust in Peace vs. And Justice for All
Countdown to Extinction vs. Black Album
Youthanasia vs. Load
The System Has Failed
United Abominations
Endgame
Dystopia