Metallica - Kill 'Em All

IWP

80s freak
Apr 30, 2006
Philly
This was the album that got me into metal, and it's still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Discuss.

Killemall.jpg

It's a highly underrated album. If it's true that technically for Metallica standards MOP is their best, KEA is one I enjoy much more. Reminds me big time of Motorhead and I can compare it a lot with Tank debut. Is fast, energetic and extremely METAL. I mean, it has that flavor of uncompromised, in-your-face, no holds barred, simple straightforward metal.

Songs like 'Motorbreath', 'Seek And Destroy', 'Phantom Lord', the great 'The Four Horsemen' and the astounding 'Whiplash' will have a place in eternity IMO.

NP: Tuatha De Danann - The Land's Revenge

I like all of the tracks, but my favorites are The Four Horsemen, Motorbreath, Jump In The Fire, Whiplash, and No Remorse.

Oh yeah, and Kill 'Em All > Master Of Puppets. :)

Kill em All is so far my favourite Metallica cd, although I don't have them all yet The only thing is I find the album as a whole isn't the best but there are outstanding songs on there like : Hit the Lights, Motorbreath and others. Those songs are my favourite Metallica songs but like I said I don't find the album as a whole a perfect 10 out of 10 album.

Hearing "Kill 'Em All" for the first time was a religious experience for me. When it came out I was into Maiden, Sabbath/Ozzy, Scorpions, Priest, Motorhead and the like and when I heard this it was everything I loved about Metal...only magnified in almost every way - faster, crunchier, louder, harsher! It really was one of those "never look back" moments. I believe I was 14 when I first heard it...I'm nearly 38 and still get a rush listening to that album - "Motorbreath" and "The Four Horsemen" or "No Remorse" they just never get old for me...never.
Oddly, when I hear folks compare "Master..." favorably, or even claim it better than "Kill Em..." I just cannot relate. To put it perspective, by the time "Master..." came out Metallica was already growing stale for me - thrash and proto-black metal of a more aggressive and violent variety was more my thing by then. Still, "Kill Em All" will always hold a special place on my classic album list!

Kill 'em All is definitely a classic album, a solid-gold pedastal in my Hallowed Hall of Fame. It remains my fave Metallica to this day and one of my favorite "road trip" cds because you can play it twice and not blink. The riffidge on that album is just godly. I know they wrote better tunes with better production on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but it's Kill 'em All that I keep going back to over and over thru the years.

I agree. Together with MOP the best Metallica. I don´t think it underrated though, it is well taken by most of the people who know the album.

It's a highly underrated album. If it's true that technically for Metallica standards MOP is their best, KEA is one I enjoy much more. Reminds me big time of Motorhead and I can compare it a lot with Tank debut. Is fast, energetic and extremely METAL. I mean, it has that flavor of uncompromised, in-your-face, no holds barred, simple straightforward metal.

Songs like 'Motorbreath', 'Seek And Destroy', 'Phantom Lord', the great 'The Four Horsemen' and the astounding 'Whiplash' will have a place in eternity IMO.

NP: Tuatha De Danann - The Land's Revenge

Technically by higher standards best >>> Ride The Lightning... RTL imo is the more underrated album and the best Metallica album by far....

is that you Wyv as Satan clause? ...

Technically by higher standards best >>> Ride The Lightning... RTL imo is the more underrated album and the best Metallica album by far....

is that you Wyv as Satan clause? ...

RTL is also an astounding album and yes I like it more than MOP but still lack some of the technicallity they achieved (and never reproduced) in MOP. Still as pure metal I enjoy more KEM.

And not is not me as SC, wish I could look that cool :lol:

NP: Angra - 'The Voice Commanding You'

I don't think Kill em All is the most underrated album, IMO ...and Justie for all is the most underrated album! The songwriting is a superbe as on MOP, the albums only weak point is the screwed up sound (but there are some repaired bass-versions floating around youtube, they nearly sound like MOP)

AJFA can't be considered an oldschool album, and many people dislike it because everything after Cliffs death is shit in their opinion, but according to a 40 year old tapetrader I met, Cliff was involved in half of the songwriting for AJFA.

Beside, it was the first Metallica album I heard/got, so its a rather unusual start to get into Metallica (the entrypoints are usually MOP, Black Album or St. Anger...-.-)

AJFA can't be considered an oldschool album, and many people dislike it because everything after Cliffs death is shit in their opinion, but according to a 40 year old tapetrader I met, Cliff was involved in half of the songwriting for AJFA.

AJFA was their last good album and it have very good songs. Sadly also has the distant early warning of the crap of things to come: 'One'. I admit I like the song, and yes Metallica had ballads before, only 'Fade To Black' is awsome while 'One' is mediocre (just the end is fine). Not to mention the video for a band that promised never to make videos (somebody should have noticed the symptoms then). As a matter of fact if 'One' would have been a B-side and not part of the album will have rise many more points for AJFA at least for me :D

NP: Crescent Shield - 'The Path Once Chosen'

I don't think Kill em All is the most underrated album, IMO ...and Justie for all is the most underrated album! The songwriting is a superbe as on MOP, the albums only weak point is the screwed up sound (but there are some repaired bass-versions floating around youtube, they nearly sound like MOP)

Beside, it was the first Metallica album I heard/got, so its a rather unusual start to get into Metallica (the entrypoints are usually MOP, Black Album or St. Anger...-.-)

1. As superb as MOP? Not even close

2. I'm 34 and grew up in the era & yes cliff wrote perhaps 2 or 3 songs to that album including Dyer's Eve but definetly not half the album especially when Lars and James usually take control of the songwriting on their albums.

3. St Anger a entry point album for new fans? :erk:

1. Well maybe not equally as superb as MOP (=outstanding), but on the same (if not at an higher level than) RTL, and AJFA easily leaves the followups and KEA behind...

The songs just are not that rememberable since they are, well, underrated,

3. yes...yes it is...very 'special' fans...I know some of them...
load and reload is metallica at its best, quantity meets quality!

1. Well maybe not equally as superb as MOP (=outstanding), but on the same (if not at an higher level than) RTL, and AJFA easily leaves the followups and KEA behind...

The songs just are not that rememberable since they are, well, underrated,

3. yes...yes it is...very 'special' fans...I know some of them...

1. Not at same level as RTL and not above KEA. RTL was total perfection in each song: Creeping Death, For Whom the Bell Tolls etc. ballad wise: Fade to Black, Instrumental wise: Call of Ktulu... foughetboutit (yes i'm from NY lol) ... AFJA is no where near RTL for rawness and power. AFJA is where i first noticed where they were heading. And this was back in 1988 before the Black album that I knew where they were heading. I could just feel it and hear hints of it. I saw them 2 or 3 times in concert in 1988 and they were great shows but i told myself that the next album I would bet would get more commercial and stray further away from their 1980's albums and i was right. After the Black album i never bought another album again. And KEA is behind and beneath AFJA? not even close again. Though the songs on KEA were less complex that didn't make them any less memorable. They made more impact and impression in it's rawness and simplicity then AFJA ever would. When you go to a concert of theirs everyone wants to hear Four horsemen, Jump in the Fire as well as all other songs on the album including Am I Evil over any song from AFJA (at least my generation from that era). AFJA was a mediocre album where the beginning of the end started and me as well as other fans back in 1988 were right about their downfall when we heard this album and the one after it. Don't get me wrong I like the album but it's the bottom album of their 80's albums (of original material and not cover songs)

2. "Special" indeed to like that album and taking "special" things into their bodies for endure listening to that album.....

to be honest I don't see how one could say AJFA was the sign of things to come

we're talking about an album here with poor production, with 6-10+ minute songs revolving around themes of social injustice, mental illness, child abuse, the media, politics, etc...

I think AJFA is the least mainstream and least accessible album out of their 1st 4