Metallica = Miley Cirus? (ticket price rant)

Thank you.
There are over 100 people who tour with Metallica to put on their production. Guess what? Each one needs to get paid!
A large production show is going to cost money.
Also, keep in mind that the venues Metallica are playing obviously cost the promoters a LOT more to rent out for the evening than an underground club.

Would it be great if Metallica played 1000 capacity clubs for $25?
Sure!

Though I have to tell you.
At least here in Chicago, most touring power metal bands are charging more in the $30 to $35 range themselves these days.

Yeah, sure, sometimes the ticket prices suck.
Though hell. If it's something you really want to go to and see, you will be willing to pay the price.

Agreed 100%. I usually attend concerts in the NYC area. Over here, it's common for power and prog metal bands to charge at least that (30-35). You also gotta remember that tours are becoming more and more expensive, bands are getting more popular and can book bigger shows. There's a reason for the ticket prices most of the times, people just need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's reality. That being said, I still disagree 100% with the ticketmaster and livenation fees, that's absolutely ridiculous...

I got tickets for the Minneapolis show for about $75. Being a fan of underground metal and rarely paying more than $25 makes it much easier to plop down this kind of money occasionally.

Personally, I think they've cut us some slack. I believe the Minneapolis show sold out very quickly, in a venue that holds 25,000 people. They could have charged $125+ and still sold out, IMO. I was really surprised they priced them this low, given their draw.

Yeah, I mean it's simple economics.
Supply and Demand!
Metallica could EASILY charge a LOT more than $75.
Given their production, they may not make as much of a profit as some might think (Though I am sure they do quite well!!!)

I paid appx. $60 per ticket w/convenience charges for nosebleed seats in my town. It's been years upon years since I've seen them (Justice tour) so I wanted to see them again. I was going to purchase floor tix which were selling for about $100 per ticket w/convenience charges but they sold out before I could get them. The new album is good, they're coming right into my hometown, I have a group of friends going along with (none of which are metalheads and would be lost at the mention of bands as say, Iced Earth or Opeth), and I don't expect to see them again after this tour so I figured what the hell, the stars were aligned, I'll pay the higher amount to catch 'em this time around. As for the shit openers, I didn't have any expectations as Metallica hasn't picked good opening acts in years.

That's why I don't complain. I just don't bother going.

I have the same attitude as you...
Would I like to see Metallica live? Hell yeah. but I won't even bother checking out the prices... and the experience itself won't be that great either.

To be honest, it's not just Metallica... I just got tired of seeing shows in Arenas/HUGE venues. It has no atmosphere on the seats and the floor tickets are ridiculously expensive.. and you have to pay MORE for that.
I can't remember the last big concert I went to.. I just skip them all because I know I won't enjoy it...
Thank god most of my favorite bands play clubs...

I did go see Maiden in Ft. Lauderdake a couple months ago.. The show itself was incredible.. Hated the overall experence... Watching Maiden from a seat in the upper bowl is not how you are supposed to watch maiden...

I also think that the ticketmaster charges are getting so out of hand that it is starting to affect demand.
The Coldplay show here in West Palm Beach for example: They had a nice little promotion: Buy a 4-pack of lawn tickets for 100 bucks.. 25 a piece, not bad... With all the taxes it went to 160!!!!! 15 bucks per ticket on a 25 dollar ticket! My friends and I gave up... 40 bucks for lawn tickets and coldplay? No way..

Metallica is still huge, so they keep playing arenas/stadiums around the world, not a surprise. I paid $55 to see them in the lower bowl of Van Andel Arena (13000 concert capacity) back in 2004, and they put on a great show with nice pyro and other production value, so I was quite satisfied. However, that's about the upper limit of what I would pay to see any band.

The other aspect to paying this kind of money for an arena show is... it's an arena show. Since I've grown accustomed to seeing bands at club-sized venues, arena shows seem dull by comparison.

Zod

The other aspect to paying this kind of money for an arena show is... it's an arena show. Since I've grown accustomed to seeing bands at club-sized venues, arena shows seem dull by comparison.

Zod

I feel the same way. I like being an active participant in a show. I probably wouldn't mind a GA ticket but not at that price. I generally don't like sitting on my ass and watching a light show and a video screen. I could get better use of my money by just buying a live DVD. I'd prefer to see big name artists at a large outdoor festival over an arena but there's few artists that play these things that I want to see anyway so I'm usually not missing out.

Zod

Agreed completely, I personally don't like arena shows either, unfortunately some of the ones I'm interested in seeing this summer are playing at places like that (such as the Dream Theater tour and Behemoth at Mayhem Fest).

But when people start bitching about Metallica charging too much for a ticket and/or not playing smaller sized-clubs like they did in the 80's, it's just beyond ridiculous.

Agreed completely, I personally don't like arena shows either, unfortunately some of the ones I'm interested in seeing this summer are playing at places like that (such as the Dream Theater tour and Behemoth at Mayhem Fest).

But when people start bitching about Metallica charging too much for a ticket and/or not playing smaller sized-clubs like they did in the 80's, it's just beyond ridiculous.

Yea. Seriously, someone brought up why they should stop playing 10,000 seat venues @ 75/ticket and instead play 3,000 capacity for $30 a ticket. Hmmm. Do I want to make 750,000 tonight, or 90,000.... Hmmmm.....

Sorry. Would you like to make $7/hr at Dunkin Donuts, or make $58.31/hr (and yes, thats the same ratio as the ratio of arena>club scenario above which isn't farfetched.) at Starbucks making a more upscale cup of coffee.

Bitching on forums doesn't lower ticket prices. It took mass boycotts for the Yankees to even Think about adjusting their ticket pricing.

Yea. Seriously, someone brought up why they should stop playing 10,000 seat venues @ 75/ticket and instead play 3,000 capacity for $30 a ticket. Hmmm. Do I want to make 750,000 tonight, or 90,000.... Hmmmm.....

Sorry. Would you like to make $7/hr at Dunkin Donuts, or make $58.31/hr (and yes, thats the same ratio as the ratio of arena>club scenario above which isn't farfetched.) at Starbucks making a more upscale cup of coffee.

Bitching on forums doesn't lower ticket prices. It took mass boycotts for the Yankees to even Think about adjusting their ticket pricing.

Remember, some people in the forum lack common sense and business sense. :lol:

Zod
Same here. I feel so disconnected at arena shows. I find myself spacing out, watching the people around me instead of the show, contemplating the mass of humanity and how would we all get out if a bomb went off, wondering how early they're going to close the beer concession.....

I only go if someone gets me a free ticket. Saw Metallica at the Nassau Coliseum, in the dreaded state of Long Island. Really didn't like the attitudes and the commute, for me, was hellish. They had a huge, rectangular stage surrounded by the floor, and the band members stood on opposite sides, easily 30 or more feet from each other facing the crowd. Now, they too, were totally disconnected and it showed in the performance, imo. I kept wondering what songs they would play at the end and how many I'd have to miss in order to catch the first bus and beat the crowd. Rather an empty experience. Won't do that again, even for free.

Actually, they did recently play in a 2000 person venue outside of Stubbs BBQ in Austin Texas for SXSW. That was mainly to promote Guitar Hero though.

I know. I was being sarcastic, since Queensryche plays smaller venues now basically because they know they have no chance at playing at a big arena, not to mention the lynching would be smaller at a club in the case enraged fans decide to give them what they deserve for the past few albums :lol: They have a show booked at a venue in Poughkeepsie, NY, for instance, that barely holds 500 people.

Metallica may be a little sucky nowadays, but they're still more relevant than Queensryche. And will always be.

Remember, some people in the forum lack common sense and business sense. :lol:

Exactly.
This has been a disturbing thread to read.
It's actually surprising how people who claim to be so "knowledgable about the underground" are extremely clueless about the business.

I understand that many of the comments are simply an extention of "take a cheap shot at Metallica" Those will never go away. That is fine if it is warranted (IE - "St Anger should have never been released", "Lars should keep his mouth shut more", etc, etc.)

Metallica has always set themselves apart from many of their early peers when it comes to their live show. This dates back to when they were playing clubs. It has extended into their commercial successful years. They put on an amazing production which costs mucho $$$$ in expenses to put on. Probably over 100 people travel with the band to make it happen.

Metallica in the past has done a number of smaller shows, primarily for Metclub members. Also, they did the Garage Inc tour about 10 years ago or whatever, where they played clubs / theaters.

They do plenty to keep in contact with the band, esp if you are a Metclub member.

Even though the ticket revenue for a sold out $75 / ticket show exceeds $1,000,000, think about the extremely large percentage of that which goes to expenses for the evening. This is why, for the most part, t-shirts at bigger shows are $35 - $45, as the band receives the majority of this, after the venue takes it's cut.