Metallica = Miley Cirus? (ticket price rant)

Good Lord, how the mighty have fallen.

My thoughts exactly when I read about that. Obviously, laughter followed.:lol:

Jasonic said:
Exactly.
This has been a disturbing thread to read.
It's actually surprising how people who claim to be so "knowledgable about the underground" are extremely clueless about the business.

Well, I think that is also because they still have that underground mentality, meaning "The underground scene is NOT supposed to be a business, ever" and "if it's metal, it should be underground." Guess what, Metallica is not underground, and they haven't been for almost two decades.

Or does it have to do with the fact that people feel "special" or "better" than others for knowing about/listening to an "underground" metal band? Are they pissy that they are going to lose the one thing in life that "made them better"? :lol:

Yeah, I certainly get that.
We all want to see our favorite underground bands remain underground and play our local watering hole down the street for $5.

Guess what though? In order for our fav bands to be able to tour all year and record, they give up other careers and time with their family. Therefore, they aren't going to do it for nothing.

As much as it sucks, that is why many bands, even US ones, play more overseas shows than here in the States. Take MANOWAR for example. They could play a local bar and draw 200 people, or play Croatia to 10,000 people. Which option will enable them to remain a going concern as a band?

Unfortunately (but reality) is that "Business" is the operative term of "music business"

I saw that Gojira and Volbeat were added to the upcoming Metallica tour of North America. Pretty cool, I dig all bands involved. Curious as to how much tickets cost, I went to Ticketmaster where they're sold. Tickets for the upper bowl at Phillips Arena for Metallica are $73.50 plus that stupid "convenience charge." Staying on Ticketmaster, I saw that they were advertising Miley Cyrus concerts as well. I wanted to compare ticket prices, thinking that if Metallica, a band far past its stadium prime, tickets were in the mid 70s, then Miley Cyrus tickets must be around 100. Nope. MC tickets were about 79.50, only a few dollars more than Metallica.

What the fuck? Is Metallica just as popular in demand as Miley Cyrus? How many fans do they still have? Is it because of these fans that they still play "Enter Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters" live? Fuck all that. Give me some House of Blues-esque club dates, Metallica! That would be fucking cool, and hopefully much less expensive. As long as 'tallica concerts cost about as much as the average pop star, I'm gonna have to say no thanks.

What say you forum?

Metallica ARE Pop Stars....

nothing wrong with that, i loved Death Magnetic.

Metallica in the past has done a number of smaller shows, primarily for Metclub members. Also, they did the Garage Inc tour about 10 years ago or whatever, where they played clubs / theaters.

They do plenty to keep in contact with the band, esp if you are a Metclub member.

Meh. I was a charter member of the Metallica Club and it went steadily downhill after Tony Smith left as president. I eventually left it.

Alot of good points being made in this thread. Jasonic and some others seem to be wired into the reality of how much it costs to tour these days. I for one have no problem paying min. $20 to see a club show. Why would anyone tour, only to go home broke? We all have lives... girlfriends/boyfriends and/or wives/husbands/kids, mortgages, car payments etc. It's flat out expensive to live these days. In the early 70s, my rent was $65 a month, elec. bill $3 a month, phone $2 a month. Those days are long gone. Having said that, I would no more go see Metallica these days as I would go see Coldplay. But then, I haven't been into mainstream bands since the 70s. Having said that, my ladyfriend wanted to see Dido a couple years back. Fine with me. Expensive, not my favorite band, but yeah I'm fine with it. It's a date. Take the ladies where they wanna go. No worries. Expensive restaurant afterwards. Fine. Sign me up. She's happy, I'm happy.

Metallica ARE Pop Stars....

I've said that for years. No one ever agreed with me.

I would love to see Gojira twice in a year! However, I don't want to pay 70 dollars for it. (I don't even know if the dates Gojira is on the tour are for the Bay Area).

For as much as I love Gojira and Volbeat now being my TOP live performance EVER, I still wouldn't pay $75 (rounded) to see Metallica. Hell I wouldn't even pay that amount if Peter Steele were playing on stage, naked, dripping wet.

-Metal