Metallica news

Lord of Delusions said:
Let me get this right. Metallica sold out by going "mainstream". Now, you say we should stop buying their albums, and maybe they would go back to thrash. Wouldn't that be selling out as well? Certainly sounds like it to me.

Say what you will about Metallica, but I just can't seem to understand how so many people are still all ass hurt about something that happened 10 years ago. Get over it. Move on with your life. Go find some pretty one hit wonder pop stars to kick, cause this horse is way past dead...

No absolutely NOT. Its not about being Mainstream its about CHANGING your over all music and image to a more comercial vibe to appeal to the mainstream to sell more records. If they continued to play Metal and became "mainstream" there is nothing wrong with that. Metallica completely changed their sound, look, even band logo to sell records PERIOD. You can try to justify it and say 'they are just growing and changing naturally' BULLSHIT is what that is. I give them credit for brainwashing people into believing that. They are great businessmen but a SELL OUT band and have no respect in the true metal community. They are everything against what METAL is all about.

UP THE IRONS

IRON MAIDEN > METALLICA

I am not trying to justify anything. I have no control nor any responsibility for Metallica's behavior. I could care less who likes them and who doesn't and why. They had their reasons for changing or evolving or selling out, whatever the case may be. There really is no point in arguing this matter any further, as it never has and probably never will be resolved to anyones satisfaction. Opinions are opinions and the only people that know for sure why things are the way they are is the band. So lets do everyone here a favor and get on with more entertaining matters (not that watching people argue over stuff doesn't have its high points :p) and drop this. I don't come here to bash other bands and talk about why they suck. Why don't we all just agree to disagree and call it even? Deal?

Haha, I love it how people just LOVE to bash Metallica about them "selling out". God, it's like sheep. Baa baa Metallica sold out, baa baa St Anger has no solos, baa baa they cut their hair, baa baa I want them to be trash again baa baa. People seriously need to come up with some better arguements than using the ones that others have used over the past however many years. I really don't care if people bash Metallica - bash away, cos I'll be standing by my boys laughing at you all as they continue to sell millions of albums and have sell out tours!!

Metallicat180 said:
I really don't care if people bash Metallica - bash away, cos I'll be standing by my boys laughing at you all as they continue to sell millions of albums and have sell out tours!!

Actually the laugh is on you as you continue to waste your money on them! :D

Okay I see what's going on, for some reason; I don't how it got to this point, but some how, people making money has become perceived as Evil! This school of thought is just plain wrong.

Rented the Metallica dvd "Some Kind of Monster" the other night. While I never really followed Metallica's career or saw them in many interviews, the dvd sure was an eye opener. The realness and sensitivity of the guys was very interesting.

Okay I'll throw in my 2 cents beeing from San Francisco,a 20 year veteran of the thrash metal scene & once a huge Metallica fan.Metallica are a FUCKING DISGRACE!! They've turned their backs on the very scene & people that put them where they are in the first place.I'd followed them since "Kill 'em All" came out.No one knew who they were,they were as obscure as today's extreme Death & Black metal bands.I didn't live in S.F. at the time but I got freinds here that saw them in the days when Dave Mustaine & Ron Mcgovney were in the band & they can vouch for me on this.
Metallica blatantly altered their sound and image to conform with what's hip and cool.When "Load" came out,if they still had long hair,stretch pants,Bullet Belts,& wore Misfits t-shirts do you think MTV would've played their videos?HELL NO! They used to not care about radio or video airplay before why are they now?
The last time I went to A Metallica show was New Year's Eve '96-97.Korn opened & tickets were like $50 & it didn't even feel like a Metal show.I felt out of place among all the clean cut yuppies & Nu Metal Wigger Faggots in the crowd.Shit, New year's Eve '85-86 paid $15.00 to see Metallica headline with Exodus,Metal Church,& Megadeth,now that was a show!
For me the final nail in the coffin was that disgraceful MTV Icon show!NO ONE from Metallica's past was brought out to celebrate.I can't believe Lar$ reffered to these artists as their "peers".What does Avril Lavine,& Snoop Dog have to do with Metal??I would've respected them so more if they'd paid homage to their heritage & roots & brought out bands like Motorhead,Mercyful Fate,Venom,The Misfits,Raven,Basicaly anyone on that Dave Grohl metal project.Even bring out some of the local bay area boys like Death Angel & Heathen!Instead it was all about ratings & feature MTV flava of the month bands.Their peers are now platinum selling pop stars.They could've been the saviors of true Metal.Instead of taking great new school metal bands like Arch
Enemy or Strapping Young Lad,they're catering to the rapcore garbage.makes me sick!
I'm in an unauthorized Metallica DVD documentary called "Dark Souls"wich eatures alot of the old school bay area people telling the true story of Metallica & I'm in another forthcoming Metallica documentary from "Music Reviews LTD" talking alot of the same trash I am in this post.

Sorry, Danny. This topic has been inactive for a while. Like I've said earlier, I never really cared for Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, or any thrash metal band. I was a pop metal fan from way back. Then it was Judas Priest, Scorpions, AC/DC, Krokus, Triumph, Zebra, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, etc. I also listen to AOR bands like Heart, Foreigner, Aerosmith, Styx, Journey, Night Ranger, et al. I loved the hair band stuff too. I'm aware of Metallica's earlier stuff, in fact "Seek & Destroy" was used for WCW Sting's theme music! The only album I have of theirs is the Black Album. But I can see what you mean, neither Metallica nor Queensryche made a video until '88. You gotta remember that in '92-93 MTV wasn't playing any metal videos, 'cept for Ozzy, Metallica, White Zombie and a couple others. Hell, if they didn't, we wouldn't have any metal to speak of now at all! Yeah, I know it sucks to see someone "sell out". The Who even released an album with that title! Things change, priorities change, it's part of growing older and maturity.

neither Metallica nor Queensryche made a video until '88
Correction!Queensryche did a video for "Queen of the Reich" when the EP came out.Also "Take hold of the Flame" from their "Live in Japan" home video from the "Warning" tour was also played as a video on MTV.
in '92-93 MTV wasn't playing any metal videos
"Headbanger's Ball" was still on up to this point.The Seattle craze was killing everything but MTV still played way more rock & metal back then than they do now,that's for sure!
"Seek & Destroy" was used for Sting's theme music!
You like wrestling too?Cool!I'm a fanatic.I do video for a local wrestling promotion "Big Time Wrestling"(BTW) We get alot of big name WWE guys to headline our shows.You can check out the site at www.btwrestling.com trivia note about Sting:In '88 he appeared in the music video "Fire in the Hole" by my freinds in Laaz Rockit.Rumor has it Sting used that song for his ring entrance when ever he wrestled in Japan.
As for Metallica, I've known those guys for years(being from the bay area & all) & they are not the same people they used to be.It's like aliens took their brains or something.I know what you mean about growing and maturing.But look at all the other great bay area metal bands like Exodus,Testament,Death Angel,Machine Head etc. We've all gotten a little older but didn't stop being Metal or abandon our roots & heritage.Shit when ever I see an interview with Metallica when they talk about the early days they act like they were the only band around doing what they were doing.Remember Lar$' acceptance speech from the '92 Grammies?"Special thanks to MTV with out whom all of this was possible anyways!!" Remember?They used to not rely on air play or play that corporate game by conforming etc. now they're all about that & swing from MTV's nutsack!Everything they swore they'd never do they've done!Pathetic!

Danny rctv said:
Okay I'll throw in my 2 cents beeing from San Francisco,a 20 year veteran of the thrash metal scene & once a huge Metallica fan.Metallica are a FUCKING DISGRACE!! They've turned their backs on the very scene & people that put them where they are in the first place.I'd followed them since "Kill 'em All" came out.No one knew who they were,they were as obscure as today's extreme Death & Black metal bands.I didn't live in S.F. at the time but I got freinds here that saw them in the days when Dave Mustaine & Ron Mcgovney were in the band & they can vouch for me on this.
Metallica blatantly altered their sound and image to conform with what's hip and cool.When "Load" came out,if they still had long hair,stretch pants,Bullet Belts,& wore Misfits t-shirts do you think MTV would've played their videos?HELL NO! They used to not care about radio or video airplay before why are they now?
The last time I went to A Metallica show was New Year's Eve '96-97.Korn opened & tickets were like $50 & it didn't even feel like a Metal show.I felt out of place among all the clean cut yuppies & Nu Metal Wigger Faggots in the crowd.Shit, New year's Eve '85-86 paid $15.00 to see Metallica headline with Exodus,Metal Church,& Megadeth,now that was a show!
For me the final nail in the coffin was that disgraceful MTV Icon show!NO ONE from Metallica's past was brought out to celebrate.I can't believe Lar$ reffered to these artists as their "peers".What does Avril Lavine,& Snoop Dog have to do with Metal??I would've respected them so more if they'd paid homage to their heritage & roots & brought out bands like Motorhead,Mercyful Fate,Venom,The Misfits,Raven,Basicaly anyone on that Dave Grohl metal project.Even bring out some of the local bay area boys like Death Angel & Heathen!Instead it was all about ratings & feature MTV flava of the month bands.Their peers are now platinum selling pop stars.They could've been the saviors of true Metal.Instead of taking great new school metal bands like Arch
Enemy or Strapping Young Lad,they're catering to the rapcore garbage.makes me sick!
I'm in an unauthorized Metallica DVD documentary called "Dark Souls"wich eatures alot of the old school bay area people telling the true story of Metallica & I'm in another forthcoming Metallica documentary from "Music Reviews LTD" talking alot of the same trash I am in this post.

Amen, and just watch next year when Metallica is the new Headliner for $haron Osbournes "Ozzfest"

I hate Metallica just as much as $haron Osbourne. I am very very suprised their hasn't been a Metallica reality show already.

Its a heated subject, some don't believe Metallica sold out, I will always boycott anything Metallica and EVERYTHING Sharon Osbourne!

You won't see them on Ozz fest.Too Metal for them.Even though Ozz fest has some retchedly GAY bands in between the decent ones.They're beyond redemption.Could you really take them seriously if all of a suddden they got all heavy again & started playing withe Metal bands in an effort to regain their former glory?Too late they should've done it in '96 or at the very least for the St. Anger tour.I'm completely done with them & I'll say it to their faces the first chance I get everything I've said in the above posts.
About 3 years ago I saw Lar$ at a club & we ended up talking.Recently at this underground Metal club called "Lucifer's Hammer" they had a Metallica Karaoke jam night.I told him about it(I actually sang a couple tunes at this)He asked me if they did anything off "Reload" & I told him "No just the first 3 albums were all anyone wanted to do." and he paused & was all "Ahh... okay just asking." he seemed very disheartened by this & I hopped it would be a kick in the ass but nope we got "St. Anger."

I am very very suprised their hasn't been a Metallica reality show already.

Oh, yes there has! What do you think "Some Kind of Monster" was? A documentary? Yeah, right! Anyway, I forgot about "Queen of the Ryche", I've got that on Kerrang's Metal Monsters video! Seems that the good rock'n'roll stopped around '94, huh? I never did really like grunge, but everything went alternative by then, so ya had to tolerate it, more or less. Just like I did thrash. I always liked passion and energy, rather than hate and aggression. So if that means listening to Whitesnake, Lita Ford, Def Leppard, Dokken, and such makes me wimpy, then I'll gladly pay ya Tuesday! BTW, I like VH1 Classic's "Metal Mania"! It has all the good old s**t on there!

WillyKing said:
Oh, yes there has! What do you think "Some Kind of Monster" was? A documentary? Yeah, right!

My bad, I wouldn't know, like I said I haven't spent a dime on anything Metallica has done in at least 5 years probably longer. So none the less I never saw that "Some Kind of Monster" :loco:

Lord of Delusions said:
So are you guys going to rant on for days every time someone mentions Metallica here? I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but some of us that do still like them could do without the trash talking.

I'm trying to keep my opnions mellow, in all fairness this is an Iron Maiden forum so unless people are trashing Iron Maiden I don't see a problem with being anti-Metallica and voicing your opinion about it on a Non-Metallica forum. Its a touchy subject so I am trying to not offend anyone with personal attacks though I know I have been guilty of that from time to time

Really, I think Metallica should thank Maiden for their success! As well as Motorhead, Priest, and Scorpions! I think the last two altered their sound and style for their US record companies too, if I'm not mistaken!

ironmaidenfan09 said:
No absolutely NOT. Its not about being Mainstream its about CHANGING your over all music and image to a more comercial vibe to appeal to the mainstream to sell more records. If they continued to play Metal and became "mainstream" there is nothing wrong with that. Metallica completely changed their sound, look, even band logo to sell records PERIOD. You can try to justify it and say 'they are just growing and changing naturally' BULLSHIT is what that is. I give them credit for brainwashing people into believing that. They are great businessmen but a SELL OUT band and have no respect in the true metal community. They are everything against what METAL is all about.

UP THE IRONS

IRON MAIDEN > METALLICA

Always felt the same way. Sold out. Became amazingly rich. But ya know what? In the same position, I just might have done the same thing.. that kinda money can look very appealing.

Like the new stuff and what they did? No. Respect the fact they turned their music into a money making machine? Hell yes.

-Hobbes

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I'm trying to keep my opnions mellow, in all fairness this is an Iron Maiden forum so unless people are trashing Iron Maiden I don't see a problem with being anti-Metallica and voicing your opinion about it on a Non-Metallica forum. Its a touchy subject so I am trying to not offend anyone with personal attacks though I know I have been guilty of that from time to time

There is no problem with you voicing your opinions. By now we are all aware of them. And yes, this is a Maiden forum. It is not, however, a Maiden/anti-Metallica forum. All I ask is that you extend a little respect to those of us that do not share your feelings. :D