Metallica - St. Anger (Album)

I just read the AP review of St Anger and It was CLASSIC- First the reviewer said they should have renamed the album St. Jude (the patron saint of lost causes) Second he says Lars succeeded in recording the worst drum sound in the history of rock- and that Lars sounds like a oversugared 3 year old pounding on pots and pans. He also stated that Metallica sounds like a group of 14 year old metal fans that just learned how to play their instruments- jamming in their garage trying to be metallica.

He also mentions the total lack of solos, decent hooks, melody, the horrific lyrics.

I'm waiting for the comic book guy from the Simpsons to wear a St Anger shirt stating- Worst album ever.

Haha, I love all the comments and reviews so far. This is without a doubt the worst Metallica album ever. I know some people didn't like the Black album and hated Load/Reload, but this really takes the cake. They continue to get worse on every album. I love the Black album and thought Load was good and Reload average and now this is below average. I wonder how the band feels about all the negativity surrounding their album? I saw that www.mtv.com had some interview with Bob Rock about the production.

speed said:
I just read the AP review of St Anger and It was CLASSIC- First the reviewer said they should have renamed the album St. Jude (the patron saint of lost causes) Second he says Lars succeeded in recording the worst drum sound in the history of rock- and that Lars sounds like a oversugared 3 year old pounding on pots and pans. He also stated that Metallica sounds like a group of 14 year old metal fans that just learned how to play their instruments- jamming in their garage trying to be metallica.

He also mentions the total lack of solos, decent hooks, melody, the horrific lyrics.

I'm waiting for the comic book guy from the Simpsons to wear a St Anger shirt stating- Worst album ever.

One interesting note: I've heard a lot of people debate whether or not St. Anger is better than the Black Album. Some say it's better since St. Anger certainly doesn't go for the hooks that the commercially slanted Black Album did. But the thing that gets me is that although the new album is perhaps more metallic, there's just very little that's memorable. Say what you will about the Black Album, but you can't possibly deny that it has some riffs and solos you'll simply never forget. I don't see that being the case with St. Anger. Regardless of how metal it may or may not be, it's largely forgettable. That's my biggest problem with it.

Kirk is a shitty guitarist anyway. Good riddance. The only decent thing he ever did was rip off mustaine's solos on the first 2 albums, and even then he fucked them up royally.

theodyssey said:
Kirk is a shitty guitarist anyway. Good riddance. The only decent thing he ever did was rip off mustaine's solos on the first 2 albums, and even then he fucked them up royally.
LOL! I remember on BTM Mustaine saying how Metallica played the same show as Megadeth, as he was backstage watching Hammett solo he said "Is this what they replaced me with?" or something to that extent.

lurch70 said:
StWanker.gif

Dude this just had me laughing my ass off for about 10 minutes straight!

I finnally downloaded a song from St. Anger today, Frantic to be exact. My initial reaction was ".......", followed by "what the fuck?", then progressed to "this is fucking horrible". I expected the new Metallica to at least be better than a nu-metal album, however I'd rather listen to Mudvayne than any more songs from St. Anger. The lyrics were horrible, the vocals were absolutely weak as fuck, and the music was dull and completely uninspired. I can't believe all the hype there was for this!

ANY Extreme Metal Band >>>>>>> Post-Justice Metallica

Medion said:
this is just another metallica-album. if the sound was better, you'd complain about them being "polished" once again, if the songs were shorter you'd complain about them being simple, if there was a ballad you'd complain about them being commercial...
this is the perhaps best-selling "extreme" metal-release ever, so what do you complain about?!?
I totally agree, man.

Overall rating: 8/10 (at least)
"Metallica rating": 7/10

Though the album isn´t as good as the masterpiece that is Load, I actually think this one is better than Reload.

It makes me feel sick when "true metal"-people gather their coward feelings against Metallica, because of old bitterness against their commercial success. The one who thought James should better quit as a musician should think again. He wasn´t the one who came up with all the music and lyrics this time - it was the band. And I think they´re great and original!

This is my opinion.

Lets take a run through every metallica album:
Kill em all - Good, raw, fast.
Ride the Lightning - Matured Kill em all, their best work
MAster of puppets - Amazing
And justice for all - Amazing doesnt match up
Black Album - Decent
Load - Shit
Reload - Decent
St.Anger - Copy and paste every negitive reveiw and insert it in here, its not Metallica. The only decent song in my opinion is St.Anger, and Frantic. and the chorus to Frantic sounds like my cousin at nursery "Frantic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic toc"

Metallica where always known for being fast, but for having Melody and most of all, Solos. Why would a band as big as Metallica want to sound underground?

Wow Edward that is a very perfect, very critique and I would say very true review. I never was the great Metallica fan, but they have definatly made great songs and as I heard the album the first time; I thought it was a joke! I mean, for me, as you state, Metallica was making great solos. It was very disturbing to understand, that this was a long awaited album.

The album, in my eyes, would be great for a new band. But for Metallica, it just leaves you in distaste. Somehow I think with Dave Mustaine gone and Megadeth not in contest with Metallica, they have lost their bite.

In my local metalpub the album was discussed so many times. Some say it's NU-Metall, but I'm not sure. But for me the big mistake is, that it is lacking in fire and pleasure, in rocking, wracking power that is so characteristic for Metallica. I mean if you compare Fuel with that... you think this is a their first album, that they never released...

Anyway, my congrats to that decent and very balanced review; hope to read those from you again :)

My other guitarist owns the album, and he was really disappointed. I've heard the whole album over and over again, hoping it would grow on me but it never really worked. I just thought the album was abit simple for Metallica, the structuring was terrible. The drum sounds were fucking horrible and Kirk didn't really have much to do. I even tried half plugging my headphones so you can hear the 2 guitar parts better and Kirk was playing the exact same thing as Hetfield. I don't like the album at all, great review btw

Yes certainly the most balanced review I have read. Not resorting to the hyper criticisms of some web sites.
I was really digging the DVD and saying this is just awesome, but since then I can't really remember any of the songs. and have not played the album. I mean I even defended it at one stage soon after its release. That is the problem. If the songs were great and memorable the production would have been seen by the metal world as a back to basics approach and maybe might have worked. But then again no lead breaks. Christ start on the Millers again James and start chain smoking or something.
It seemed an amazing risk to take, and it just has not worked.
Sure there are moments when you here the old Metallicisms but you can't listen to a long album waiting for 30 second highlights.

Profoundly disappointing
And yes that image is brilliant.