Mia and I are going to see the uconn CORPSE FLOWER tomorrow (tuesday)

minxnim said:
so why don't they just eat part of a purple velvet plant? i have one at my house. the flowers smell stronger than the corpse flower...

Because eating the CORPSE sounds much better then eating the purple velvet.

i saw like 87 versions of that picture hick guy over the weekend.

they had a carnival complete with the rickety rides people fall out of and those game tents where they yell "Hey Big guy!" to everyone who goes by, even if they're only 5'8".
also, the ring toss bottles were all beer bottles and the goal of the baseball throw was to BREAK beer bottles, not knock them off the shelf. glass shattering everywhere. my gf (a nurse) was appalled.

We went back around 2:30 and stalked the plant until about 4:30. I think we definitely came across as really, really, really sketchy and/or high. Unfortunately, they still had guards and even visitors and getting close to the plant was impossible to do surreptitously. It's not fully bloomed yet so maybe I can go back tonight and try something else.

cflower3.1089185042.jpg

a webcam shot from last night!
notice the guard there and the way he's holding that measuring stick as if it's a flag on a flagpole and he's just colonized that entire corpse flower area/land! :(

what's up with people and their super-possessiveness over corpse flowers? wtf? is this some sort of new phenomenon/psychological disorder among human beings that hasn't been documented yet? i'm really baffled. if i owned a corpse flower, i'd let people take chunks of it for salad or whatever.

i left a mean comment in their guestbook though, before i left:

it was something like this:

"name: Mia Matsumiya"
"location: boston, MA"
"comment: WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME JUST EAT A TINY, THE TINIEST CHUNK OF YOUR CORPSE FLOWER?! YOU ARE ALL HORRID, GREEDY BOTANISTS."

then as an afterthought, we left this one too.

"name: BUKAN YAYASA" (or some other horridly mock-sumatran sounding name, i don't remember)
"location: SUMATRA"
"comment: GIVE ME BACK MY PLANT!"

toby, are you going back to see it again tonight?
it's blooming very very slowly for some reason. i just looked at it again and it doesn't look that much more blempt than when we last left it.

they're probably secretly spraying it with anti-blooming drugs late at night (thus the heavy guard presence) in order to stretch out the cash-raking-in experience for as long as possible!

Why would they possibly have moved it!?

"name: Mia Matsumiya"
"location: boston, MA"
"comment: WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME JUST EAT A TINY, THE TINIEST CHUNK OF YOUR CORPSE FLOWER?! YOU ARE ALL HORRID, GREEDY BOTANISTS."

then as an afterthought, we left this one too.

"name: BUKAN YAYASA" (or some other horridly mock-sumatran sounding name, i don't remember)
"location: SUMATRA"
"comment: GIVE ME BACK MY PLANT!"

WTF!!

"July 7th - At around 4AM this morning, the Titan flower abruptly closed. We hoped that it might reopen during the day but to no avail. This titan has run its course in roughly 18 hours rather than the customary 48 hours seen in other blooms.

The flower will remain on display Thursday & Friday during our normal hours of 8AM-4PM."

:(

coelacanth_M said:
WTF!!

"July 7th - At around 4AM this morning, the Titan flower abruptly closed. We hoped that it might reopen during the day but to no avail. This titan has run its course in roughly 18 hours rather than the customary 48 hours seen in other blooms.

The flower will remain on display Thursday & Friday during our normal hours of 8AM-4PM."

:(

That's such bullshit. You got them nervous last night and now they're being extra-careful.