Mic Rentals

roy22341

Aug 23, 2008
Lafayette, LA
Hey guys,

I'm going to be recording some drum tracks in a few weeks but unfortunately have next to nothing in the way of mics for this except 2 57s. I called a local audio equipment place to check out some mic rental rates - so I was looking for some of your opinions on what you think would be a better option:

1. Buy some drum mics (suggestions welcome) either on the cheap or try to resell them after one use.
-or-
2. Rent the mics

The rental would be for a pair of KSM 137s, 3 vintage 421s and a Beta52 or AKG D112 for $300/week. I'd only need them for a week and since I'm moving soon I don't plan on doing any more drum recordings between now and then.

Just would like to hear any suggestions/thoughts any of you have.

Also, which would you prefer, the beta 52 or the D112?

Thanks!

The rental would be for a pair of KSM 137s, 3 vintage 421s and a Beta52 or AKG D112 for $300/week

This is similiar thing than living in a rental apartment; It can be a good thing or a bad thing, depends on the angle you view it. When you don't need it, you can get rid of it fast without a hassle compared to when you usually have to use about 2-3 months to sell an apartment, but you will never own it so you can't wait for x years for the apartment to rise in price. And in your case, you would need atleast about 2000 dollars to buy those mics (thomann prices in euros: b52: 175, md421: ~333 x 3, ksm: 369 x 2 = 1966) and when you sell them afterwards, you would propably lose about the same price as if you would just rented those if you are going to use them just this one time. If you decide to keep them, then its a whole new story...

Also, which would you prefer, the beta 52 or the D112?

I don't personally prefer either for kick for live use, because they have better alternatives available nowadays. But in studio both work quite nicely, depends on what kind of sound you are after. But if I would have to choose from those two: I would use Beta 52 for anything metal influenced and D112 for anything else

I'd go with the beta 52, I don't like the kick sounds i've gotten with a d112- kinda muddy and flabby, the beta 52 is nice and clear, plenty of punch and takes eqing well

I hate the D112, it even made the most awsome kick drum I've ever heard into a dull thud. Maybe I'm using it wrong or maybe it sucks serious balls.

Joe