Michael Romeo's guitar equipment?

what makes u so sure, i mean i didnt read it from the man himselft but i heard from dimarzio that X2N in the bridge is muddy and Tonezone is a bridge pickup, and Mjr's tone is not muddy, therefore my configuration seems logical and correct to me :)

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
what makes u so sure, i mean i didnt read it from the man himselft but i heard from dimarzio that X2N in the bridge is muddy and Tonezone is a bridge pickup, and Mjr's tone is not muddy, therefore my configuration seems logical and correct to me :)

uhhhhh, the X2N *IS* designed for a bridge PU, besides just look at one of MJR's guitars...you can't mistake the X2N's pole peices, they're the only Dimarizo pickups that look like that. It used to be on the SyX site too.

I think he uses TZ for most of the stuff, the X2N is used quite rarely. Most of the dynamics I hear are from a neck pickup, or from the middle position, but definitelly aren't from the bridge.

Zax666 said:
I think he uses TZ for most of the stuff, the X2N is used quite rarely. Most of the dynamics I hear are from a neck pickup, or from the middle position, but definitelly aren't from the bridge.

Well, obviously all rhythm work uses the bridge pickup, thats how you get the chunky crunch tones. Don't forget he also uses a strat in the studio for some parts.

@ Yngvai X - I think at LotEoF he uses TZ for almost ANYTHING.

And don't forget that TZ is a high-gain pickup, and "everything is boosted". That'd make it crunchy in every position, my previous guitar's neck position sounded fine for everything, the palm mutes were quite tight. It's more about CHARECTER than EQ. I guess you just need the right PU.

The only reason DiMarzio don't reccommend it for the neck postion is it wouldn't balance out power-wise with most bridge HBs. They DO reccommend AZ for instance.

Zax666 said:
@ Yngvai X - I think at LotEoF he uses TZ for almost ANYTHING.

And don't forget that TZ is a high-gain pickup, and "everything is boosted". That'd make it crunchy in every position, my previous guitar's neck position sounded fine for everything, the palm mutes were quite tight. It's more about CHARECTER than EQ. I guess you just need the right PU.

The only reason DiMarzio don't reccommend it for the neck postion is it wouldn't balance out power-wise with most bridge HBs. They DO reccommend AZ for instance.

have you SEEN Romeo live 6 times (soon to be 8) like I have? I notice when he flips the toggle switch on his guitar, and the only times Ive ever seen him NOT use the bridge pickup for rhythm is when he has to get back to playing rhythm really fast after a solo and he doesnt have time to do it right away.

There is no such thing as a crunchy neck position tone, its the nature of placing the pickup there. You need it by the bridge to get a bright trebley sound.

Yeah, the most well-known thing about Romeo's setup is that he uses a bridge pickup in the neck position... it kicks ass.

And for those who say his tone isn't muddy... well, it WAS. Listen to the verses of Smoke and Mirrors on LOTEOF. Now that he uses the Vetta that's all fixed though. :)

@ShokaiShimizu - X2N is a super-distorted version of the Super Distortion, and it's the 2nd real different DiMarzio pickup released (DP102). Larry Dimarzio knew what he was doing. :cool:

BTW I can see how the X2N could become muddy, if you set it close to the bass strings. :)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can anyone tell me what pickups Michael Romeo used on the first four albums? It sounds different from V and Odyssey. I prefer his old guitar sound. The X2N is badass too, but the old sound is better, in my opinion.

before the album Twilight in o. he used a set of Emg Active 81's.

and way back in his solo album think he used duncans but ı am not hundred percent sure about this one.

ı always though you have to be really good to shred with a tone zone at the neck.because it has too much bass for a neck pickup and it is very loud.Its hard to control it.But romeo kicks ass with it.I use a norton(not air norton)at the neck with a x2n that does the same effect but norton is quiter then tz.

if you look at the pictures inside V you ll notice one of romeos white M 2's is slightly different.it has a jeff henniman cutaway.that guitar might also have a differnt pickup then tz too.ı think a fred
but his mains are x2n,tz always

soulshred said:
before the album Twilight in o. he used a set of Emg Active 81's.

and way back in his solo album think he used duncans but ? am not hundred percent sure about this one.

? always though you have to be really good to shred with a tone zone at the neck.because it has too much bass for a neck pickup and it is very loud.Its hard to control it.But romeo kicks ass with it.I use a norton(not air norton)at the neck with a x2n that does the same effect but norton is quiter then tz.

if you look at the pictures inside V you ll notice one of romeos white M 2's is slightly different.it has a jeff henniman cutaway.that guitar might also have a differnt pickup then tz too.? think a fred
but his mains are x2n,tz always

I think his purple M-II with the maple fretboard is the one with the Fred in it.

I know it's off topic, but since the thread's already covered this, I'll mention it anyway.

I'm thinking of getting an X2n in my bridge to replace the stock EMG HZ in my Jackson. I hear it's one of the best passive metal pickups you can get. Any recommendations for the neck?