Microphone + Preamp testing, worth about 100€ each.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/vocal test SCT700 + Toneport.mp3

This is from a band I'm recording at the moment.

Microphone was a T.Bone SCT700 that I got from a friend for 100€
Preamp was the Line6 Toneport UX1 stock mic preamp.

Some really slight EQ, generous compression and some delay + verb to fit in the mix.

Let me know what do you guys think! Personally I'm really satisfied with both pieces of gear, considering I can't afford anything more expensive at the moment :D

OHMYGOD that was fucking startling :lol: And uhh, yeah...the accent :loco: :D Love the layering and panning though, and they sound good, though maybe a bit too crisp/harsh; hard to tell by themselves though! (hint hint ;))

Yeah, I'm curious about the delay also, is it alternating between the left/right channel on the main mono vox?

Thanks!!

Agree on the "a bit too crispy sounding", but that's needed in the mix IMO, so when you hear that alone it ain't the way I'd like to hear it.

Marcus: that's not my singer, If only she had that accent... that's the only thing I miss in Bella.
This singer is called Sofia, and I'll post some mixes as soon as i finish tracking vocals and mixing rough takes.
About the layering, it's simply one voice at the start centered, then another dub but with the Reaper Pseudostereo plugin, set on 100%, everything else default. And then the harmonies are individual takes panned hard left and right. Simple but does it's job!

Delay: Sonitus Fx Delay, 1/1 notes left 3/4 notes right, delays lowpassed at 5khz, mix 15, feedback 0.
Reverb: Waves RVerb, standard preset, mix on 10% or so, only on the harmonies.

Cheers! :D

Thanks!!

Agree on the "a bit too crispy sounding", but that's needed in the mix IMO, so when you hear that alone it ain't the way I'd like to hear it.

Marcus: that's not my singer, If only she had that accent... that's the only thing I miss in Bella.
This singer is called Sofia, and I'll post some mixes as soon as i finish tracking vocals and mixing rough takes.
About the layering, it's simply one voice at the start centered, then another dub but with the Reaper Pseudostereo plugin, set on 100%, everything else default. And then the harmonies are individual takes panned hard left and right. Simple but does it's job!

Delay: Sonitus Fx Delay, 1/1 notes left 3/4 notes right, delays lowpassed at 5khz, mix 15, feedback 0.
Reverb: Waves RVerb, standard preset, mix on 10% or so, only on the harmonies.

Cheers man! i'll have to give this a whirl!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/vocal test 2 - chorus.mp3

Second test!

This is a chorus, it's about layers! :lol:

This time I aimed for a warmer sound that the first test, with some de-essing. The SCT700 is a very clear microphone, so clear it tends to be a bit too harsh, specially with female voice.

The layers are:

Main melody - two takes (C and LR with pseudostereo reaper plugin)
Harmony - two takes panned hard left - right
Additional harmony on "Ivory cities" and "my dry and morbid ending" - same as Main melody

Main melody has most of the reverb and delay, while leaving the harmonies almost dry. In theory I'd want to do it totally the opposite, but somehow we liked more this way.