Dandelium - "Stronger" with female/male vocals, check it out!!

Samara, you're making a lot of assumptions about me and my views, especially since you don't know a thing about me

I'm sorry what assumptions did I make about you? I didn't even talk about you read my posts above...
I was just expressing my oppinion that I like vocals with forgein non-american accents.... :)

Here

the english accent is no major thingie... listen to björk she has the most horrible icelandic sounding accent but I guess it gives her character, I guess people in europe or non english speaking countries don't care about accent as someone from let's say usa does... :) to each he's own but I'm really liking the vocals... :loco:

This was said in response to my post about her accent, and then you proceeded to continue with American-stereotyping, so even if the rest wasn't against me, I still didn't appreciate it.

ok then I shallt appologise if you was offended... but I wasn't talking about u... I just disslike the fact that many bands here in europe try to be americanized, when we should be more our selves and not worriying about usa so much becouse it's a perfectly good enough market for european bands here in europe.... =/

And Erik, the second mix sounds good, though I think you lowered the synths just a bit too much (sorry :saint: ) And the vox still have that small, nasally sound I mentioned above

i agree with the others about her accent being a bit bit much. Can't she just sing in spanish? I wish more bands sang in their native tongues. Her singing isn't that bad when she's belting it though, just when she's singing the verses.

Also I don't think bjork has a super thick accent when she sings.

What are you using for that kick and snare?

Also, what kind of processing is on the vox? Like I said a bit ago, i'm trying to achieve okay results with an UX1 and sm7, perhaps there's a patch you can share for the vox!

Well personally, I love to hear "exotic" accents. It makes things intriguing but I know not everyone thinks like that. *saw Tarja live last night*

I am a fan of Dandelium and I think all you do is very pro and well made and you know, very nice. So with this in mind... I personally think that the lead vocals are not loud enough compared to everything in the style. Which I guess is normal from a musician who mixed. And the guitars are "very rhythmic" so they probably don't have to be so up front. The male vocals didn't shock me, they are quite dry but that's a matter of taste.

But it seems that this type of orchestral metal with clean vocals are usually mixed in the way that it feels like the singer is "above" the song. And now it feels as if the singer is in the song, like a growler.

I'm just trying to be difficult. :p

asshole-posters.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW your singer's accent is cracking me up :lol: Her vox sound very small I have to say; like they're all mids and not much else, though I'm guessing that's the mic (or eq'ing); still, feels like an excess of 2k going on there. Tone is the best I've heard yet from you actually dude, I dig it! I agree about the orchestra stuff being too loud, but cool sounding!

But yeah, please, just have her sing in Spanish, good god :lol:

maybe you can get her to sing little parts at a time and help her if the accent is wrong it takes more time and tracks but it works..great song too! luv the guitars!

I'm not sure that it's the level of everything here that is making the difference. I'd say that the keys and vocals sound like they're EQ'd too narrow, so they get fatiguing and don't sound all that natural.
The mix is getting there, and the accent doesn't bother me much.

I can't really say too much that hasn't already been said, in terms of mixing and stuff.

I will say this though...that was an AWESOME song man! I have listened to it heaps and I love it. Good work.

How do you go about recording tones with Nick Crow's 8505? I at first did direct tones with my guitar but I got clipping issues because the tracks were inconsistent, so I just run the guitar through a clean pre-amp in gearbox, and then put it through the amp sim and then an impulse, but I think I'm doing something wrong. Your tones sound so much better than mine!

Good stuff man. Such an awesome song. :)

I really, really like it. The accent of the woman is NOT dramatic!! It is absolute still in a qualitative area. I even like the accent a lot and she has a wonderful voice. You are on the right way with this production/song. Both thumbs up for this fine piece of music!

I don't have anything new to add to the comments on mixing etc. For all I know, it sounds better than anything I could've done so far so really, I rest my case! :)

I did wanna comment on the singer though. I generally hate power metal and fantasy metal and stuff like that but there is this one band that I absolutely fucking love, and I probably will never stop doing that :D It's Dark Moor, I think they are from spain too actually. Well, I just dig one of their CDs really, and it's "Gates of Oblivion", and I love the way her english is... quite "broken" and just proabably awful by this thread's standards :D But since I do dig her vocals, I also don't find your singer's vocals any annoying really... I'm kinda used to it and I think it's charming!

Singing in spanish would just limit your music imo... atleast for me. I usually don't listen to music where I don't understand the lyrics.

Third mix now up!!:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/stronger full v3.mp3

Re-mixed with fresh ears (I hope). Maybe I should ease with mastering, it's a tad too smashed (cymbals) and loud (-9 dB RMS). I'd rather have it on -12dB RMS with less pumping than have it the way it's right now I guess.

Just to point out, the previous versions hadn't Autotune enabled, so she's quite accurate by herself :p

Change list:

- Enabled autotune (i forgot on v1 and v2!) and the parts she sings alone now sound a lot better.
- Eased the compression on vocals, lowered attack times, so they won't pump so much.
- Lowered my voice and automated it better.
- Removed some breathing noises.
- +0.25dB on orchestra buss
- Added master compressor with soft compression (1.25:1 ratio, -25dB threshold, fast attack) to get everything glued better before multiband.

Cheers!!
-Erik

I think you should ease back on the master bus comp. The drums are overly compressed for my tastes, comp is really noticeable on the overheads 'the break and songs ending. Over all their are a lot of tracks fighting for space in high end. I feel the main vocal has too much verb, you should use automation on the verses and dip the verb where the song breaks down and let it open up on the chours. I noticed a couple of places i'd use automation to control the plosives on the vocal.

I'm missing the fulllness of the bass guitar and the kick seems missing around 50/60hz, either that or the guitar is eating into the 2bus comp on the chuggy parts. I think you should use the lastest mix as backup and now just do some teaking cause i does sound impressive, but could be better, I'd back off on some comp, ect, sorry if this is babbling, i was typing as i was listening.

Btw what is the chain and settings for the awesome guitar sound?

In the new version I think the orchestra is a bit too weak. The vocals seem a bit detached from the rest of the mix, perhaps experimenting with reverb can fix this. The mix sounds a bit dry in the low/lowmid area, it seems to be missing something.

Otherwise good job! I like the music and the vocals, though the genre is not my cup of tea.

Best guitar sound I heard of you already, others were nice too but always something I didn't like about them, this one fits really well in the mix I think.
I think her pitch is not always the best, for example at 01:15 and 01:17, that vibrato kinda note is a little bit lower then it should be. Further I really like her vocals like in the other song I got from you. By the way what is she doing @ 01:19? Sounds like jodeling to me :p