Microphone Proximity Physics?

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
We all kinda know how microphone proximity works by experience but I was wondering if there's any good physics articles explaining this better. Is there any physician in the forum who could explain it?

im no physician, but i'll chime in. i think its just as simple as the closer to the source you get the more detail you get, and that seems to be where there is a detail resonance in the low end, which can be used musically. it can also be a bad thing.

in the case of guitar cabinets, they are one big resonator so you get these points in the field where the low end resonants more prominent than others, and you can manipulate it by backing off a mic or putting it closer.

you can kinda hear the it by talking in a quiet room and bring your hand slowly closer to your ear. you start hearing more low end, more presence on the high end.

the closer to a source, the more detail.

In my experience (very little) I've been noticing that fundamental harmonic is most stronger and push air much stronger than higher. In situation where it miced too close it will move air so strongly that mic membrane will move along it so strong it couldn't catch higher frequencies. So it's needed to move mic closer/ further to find that low-end power ratio against higher you like.