Microphones

Roy

Sep 16, 2003
England
Hi

I need to buy a micophone to record vocals in a home studio. Does anyone have any advise on what type of microphone would be best? I also need to know the best way to set it up i.e. does the microphone plug directly into the amp & plug the amp from the line out port into the 8 track?

I would really appreciate some advice.

thanks

Shure Beta 58A is what some people use. As far as the recording part of the question, haven't gotten that far, myself, but I will. Therefore anybody's input in this will help me too.

There are a heap of different mics that do vocals it depends on how much you want to spend. The sm58 is pretty much a standard mic for live vox but for recording you probably want to use a nice condenser mic cos they have a better frequency response again it depends on how much you want to spend. Browse the mic manufacturers web sites they will list all the mics that can be used for vox.

Do those preamp things have their own reverb effects or do you have to buy a seperate reverb effects unit?

Usually you want to add reverb/delay/chorus during mixdown so I believe they do not. I know mine doesn't. I'm sure you could get an all in one, but usually you pay to much for a subpar product.

Also, Studio Projects B1 is also a great mic at $80.

I have a Studio Projects C-1 as well. I've recorded vocals and acoustic guitar and it sounds great. Can't beat the price either. Just get a decent preamp and you're ready to roll. Presonus, ART, Joe Meek, Midiman all make some nice stuff and they are all reasonably priced.

I wonder what kind of programs people use to get some (light) reverb effect into vocals (when recording to computer). Otherwise it sounds poor.

They should be included in your recording program (pro-tools, cakewalk, N-tracks, etc. etc.). You don't actually add it when recording (usually) but add it when you are mixing the song.