Mid-year highlights, the 2017 edition

MadTinus

Language enthusiast
May 7, 2002
Utrecht, Netherlands
www.facebook.com
So, what's been tickling your ears this year so far and what are you still lookng forward to? Heard some AOTY contenders already?

Four 2017 albums I've thoroughly enjoyed so far:

BLACKFIELD - Blackfield V
I love the first Blackfield 3 albums pretty much equally, IV however was disappointing i.m.o. V is a true return to form, consistently great album!

DOOL - Here Now, There Then
Was never a fan of the 'occult rock' genre somehow, still don't like many bands in the genre. Don't care much for Ghost for instance. Somehow decided to give Dool a chance and wow, simply a great album, 8 great songs, from the amazing, atmospheric, doomy opener Vantablack to closer She Goat, it's highlight after highlight. Great album of atmospheric, dark metal/rock.

GOD DETHRONED - The World Ablaze
Kinda lost interest in them after Into the Lungs of Hell. Took more interest in them because of my friend Mike joining them on guitar with the most recent 'reunion'. When they announced a new album, I was of course going to check it out and to my surprise this might be their most consistent album overal. Just great and highly recommended!

LEGACY OF EMPTINESS - Over the Past
Just randomly decided to check this out purely based on the cool cover art and hella glad I did! Very well-executed melodic/atmospheric/symphonic Black (Death) Metal from Norway, bringing back this nice 90's atmosphere. Programmed drums, but it never bothers me one bit. Great atmosphere, great lead guitars. Consistently great songs, powerful mix by Dan Swanö, another highly recommended album! And they're labelmates of Desölätör :eek:

Looking forward to:
PARADISE LOST - Medusa (teaser released today sounded promising, Nick seems to have revived his growl for real now, forget Grand Morbid Funeral, he really growls his guts out here! :eek:)
NAGLFAR?
ALICE IN CHAINS?

My band of the year so far is, as you have surely noticed, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD. Defunct already for 4 years and the bandleader dead for 3 years. I decided to give them another chance because of their relation to Dool. And finally the coin dropped, HARD! Holy fuck, they are the best thing I've heard in a loooooong time. I've not been obsessed with a band like that since discovering Porcupine Tree in 2005. It's hard to imagine I even listened to them twice before, in 2009 and 2011, and not realising the greatness then. Better late than never, only a shame I'll never be able to see them live. I'll still be enjoying the albums for many years to come.

Last edited:
Nothing. But I still have to listen to new Wintersun album, although I don't have high hopes, since it seems to be turning in gay direction.

Other than that with metal I sticked to dudes doing metal covers of songs from games / movies OR doing original metal songs based on games (Miracle of Sounds for example, great stuff mostly, diverse, you know, what metal actually lacks).

Speaking of Wintersun, can someone explain why they didn't make Time 2 instead of Forest? Seems weird.

Nothing to add to this thread btw, except of course Epica that comes out in September :)

Speaking of Wintersun, can someone explain why they didn't make Time 2 instead of Forest? Seems weird.
Because they didn't have a private sauna in their private studio to record stuff in... or something. They're gonna make another crowdfunded album after Forest seasons, then setup their studio and then work on Time 2. WWE's total divas have got nothing on Wintersun.

Reactions: PowerBlade
I remember this, yes! The argument was that almost all Finnish homes have saunas, I think. Yeah Jari is such a bitch :lol:
That is true... Finland has more Saunas than cars, according to a Finnish friend.

Still, the insistence of having a private studio to deliver an album seems quite obnoxious and stubborn. Metalsucks has some hilarious articles covering the drama between Wintersun, Nuclear Blast and the fans.

Yea, the drama was fantastic. They dont release Time II because of the deal wth NB (at least Maenpaa claims that).

He insisited on having his own studio because since like 2008 he comaplined that PCs cant handle his music. Well, maybe if he recorded guitars and not 1023452345236 orchestral tracks PC could handle it.

Time had some good composition but mix was terrible, guitars were nonexistent (and Jari blamed NB and Pcs again). To this day when I listen to this album I listen to the live versions they made, 100x better.

Yea, the drama was fantastic. They dont release Time II because of the deal wth NB (at least Maenpaa claims that).

He insisited on having his own studio because since like 2008 he comaplined that PCs cant handle his music. Well, maybe if he recorded guitars and not 1023452345236 orchestral tracks PC could handle it.

Time had some good composition but mix was terrible, guitars were nonexistent (and Jari blamed NB and Pcs again). To this day when I listen to this album I listen to the live versions they made, 100x better.
If motherfucking TSO can release albums without a personal studio, then Wintersun sure as hell doesn't have an excuse.

^You know it! And I will at least add new Immolation to my buy-list because I'd completely forgot they came out with that :lol:

@MadTinus How do you think this God Dethroned compares to their other stuff? Worth checking them out in depth?

I've mostly listened to black metal this year *Satan intensifies*.

Svartsyn - In Death
Necrowretch - Satanic Slavery
Black Anvil - As was
Ofermod - Sol Nox
Beastcraft - The Infernal Gospels of Primitive Devil Worship
Nightbringer - Terra Damnata
The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia
Falls of Rauros - Vigilance Perennial
Clandestine Blaze - City of Slaughter

The few death metal albums I have enjoyed:

Immolation - Atonement
Firespawn - The Reprobate
Azarath - In Extremis

And a honourable mention to my friends in Phidion and their debut full lentgh album "The Throes of Scourge". Support them or DIE!!!

Reactions: winters epilogue
Since today on flea market some polacks were complaining about russians and ukrainians when I went back to my car and figured I will blast some Arkona (couldnt think of another russian speaking band) when I drive by them.

Got middlefingered and the album was okay. I dont know how "new" was it though, didnt listen to them since like 2014-15

@MadTinus How do you think this God Dethroned compares to their other stuff? Worth checking them out in depth?
I got into them when The Grand Grimoire was released, that's a great album and so is its successor Bloody Blasphemy (their classic i.m.o.). Ravenous and Into the Lungs of Hell both have their moments, but after that I lost interest until the new one, it's great! Might be their most consistent album overal..

Reactions: PowerBlade
How do you like it so far? I've heard it some 4 times now, but i.m.o. it doesn't come close to Thaumiel.

Another Black Metal recommendation for you: Norwegian WHOREDOM RIFE, their just released their debut album "Dommedagskvad", I have a feeling this might be up your alley.

Thanks for the recommendation! :headbang:

I think Sol Nox is the album of the year so far but I have not listened to it enough to compare it to Thaumiel yet.