Middle eastern music...

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
... I am an AVID Jeff Martin fan, so you can see where this possibly comes from...!

I am actually after some middle eastern music to check out, i have already searched out a pile of Sitar and Sarode music, but i need more!!

If you can reccomend some, and where i am able to obtain the more 'exotic' middle eastern styles of music, i would be very greatful thanking.

thanks.

- Trapped in a corner

Check out Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan....i got into him from reading interviews and articles about Jeff Buckley. Nusrat does some amazing things with his voice.
I also own a wonderful cd that is a collaboration of Phillip Glass and Ravi Shankar called Passages.

I don't know about (Middle) Eastern, but sometimes on Sunday when I'm channel surfing, I come across this Indian segment on one of the channels, where they play Indian videos. They are subtitled, but I can't seem to tear myself away from watching them. Some are goofy - one was reciting the American alphabet, and then said "that means I love you" with cheese grins :p - but all in all, I like Indian music. Much of it is love-based and I like that. And check out the Indian women (and some of the guys). All I can say is gorgeous :eek: Wow...

Thanks everyone... (?)

I'm after the strange stuff, kindof like 'The Tea Party', but without the rock-element, so basically some dude playing strange instruments and drums like Dumbeks etc...

Yeah, i've got a pile of Nile's stuff, it's okay, but i hate their 'death' sections, it totally destroys the egyptian ideas.

'Beneath eternal oceans of sand' has an awesome intro, but the death-middle totally kills it.

Thanks for the plug tho...

System of a Down has a bit of Middle Eastern sound into their music. Spiders, Chop Suey, and Toxicity is fairly decent to listen to. The rest kinda suck.

Transglobal Underground "TransGlobal Underground is a U.K.-based collective fusing as many different kinds of world music as its members can get their hands on. The group's core is composed of vocalist Natacha Atlas (who has recorded with Jah Wobble, Apache Indian, and her own band, Atlas Project), keyboardist Alex Kasiek, drum programmer Man Tu, and founder, bassist, and sampler Count Dubulah. The project grew out of a mutual love for dance, avant-garde, Arabic, and world music and draws on each member's listening tastes and cultural backgrounds". Review -
Allmusic.com

Mantra Recordings
Beggars

Originally posted by Devilish monster from the hill
what about Orphaned Land?
an oriental death metal group from Israel...
They totally kick ass!

--------------------------------------
www.orphaned-land.co.il
--------------------------------------
http://www.orphanedlandisrael.cjb.net/
---------------------------------------------------

I agree!
Their album "El Norra Alila" rules!!

Originally posted by bleed for me
try this indian guy called Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

He is Pakistani actually ;)

I have a bunch of reccomendations, but you have to limit your scope first: metal, folk, techno... what genre exactly are you looking for?

Originally posted by Trapped
Thanks everyone... (?)

I'm after the strange stuff, kindof like 'The Tea Party', but without the rock-element, so basically some dude playing strange instruments and drums like Dumbeks etc...

Check out Robert Rich. My friend is big into him and their are some songs where they play in quarter steps by bending all of the notes. Some eastern music has quarter steps if I understand correctly, mabye this will be of some value.