Midi question

booyah14

Dec 1, 2005
I have been trying to work on my midi chops and have been going through a song that I am trying to emulate. This brought me to a question that I could not find the answer to. During a certain riff, the drummer played 16th note kicks and was playing on the ride mostly. The second time around though, he had a regular kick pattern, (no 16ths) and was riding the hi hat this time.

I wanted to just copy and paste the riff and then change the parts that were different. I noticed that it would only allow me to select the whole section of midi, not just a line of it. (ex- the kick, I wanted to just erase the kick and program the new part). So is there a way to do this in pro tools, or do I really have to click each individual kick and erase the hit?

use the Grabber tool.... the "hand".. it will turn into a crosshair-like cursor when not directly over a midi note.. with this you can select one line (note), such as all your kicks.

Thank you very much James. I actually was wondering why this happened. Looked it up and everything, still couldn't find the answer. Thanks again.