MIDI Setup

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
I've noticed that guitarist have a MIDI controller that can activate pedals in the rack or switch heads and so on. How exactly does this work? What all do you have to buy and how is it hooked up? This is one of the guitar rig configurations that I've never fully understood. Thanks \m/

It's essentially just using MIDI as a universal switching signal, in the same way an amp's footswitch sends a switching signal (though MIDI is digital, and thus can be assigned to control an almost limitless amount of things). Basically, you have your amp, which probably doesn't have a built-in MIDI interface, so you also have an external MIDI switcher (like this baby) that receives MIDI signals and sends switching signals to your amp. You also have your rack FX processor with its MIDI inputs, or, if you're a die-hard pedal user, a MIDI-controllable loop selector (such as this) which allows you to place your pedal(s) within its loops and turn them on/off.

So basically, all this stuff has a MIDI input and a MIDI "thru" output that just sends the same signal out for the purposes of daisy chaining. Connect it all together, set everything up how you want it, then activate the "learn" (or equivalent) function on all the MIDI stuff, and then hit a button on your MIDI foot controller, and bam - you've got a preset. Set everything up differently, learn, different button, repeat! And you can also have it all automatically controlled by a laptop or sequencer sending out MIDI signals, though that's a little beyond my know-how...

something i was thinking (sorry to hijack) and i would love for someone to chime in.
would it be possibly to program a midi track, along with a click for your song, in your DAW and use the midi track to trigger channel / effects change on your amp/pod whatever live.
this way, a laptop (macbook :heh: ) could be used for sampled sounds (for kick drum), a click track, and trigger for amp channels. possibly you could also run bass direct and use amp sim on daw, and some vocal processing/ pre recorded back up vocals.

but yeah, would it be easy to set up the midi channel switching thing? :Smokin:

Yep, that was Kazrog - personally, I wouldn't want to sacrifice control over my own rig functions, but it's definitely do-able and not that I'd hard, I'd imagine.

I've noticed that guitarist have a MIDI controller that can activate pedals in the rack or switch heads and so on. How exactly does this work? What all do you have to buy and how is it hooked up? This is one of the guitar rig configurations that I've never fully understood. Thanks m/

I bought a GCX with a Ground Control Pro.....

That or the Axxes one seems like the way to go.

It's essentially just using MIDI as a universal switching signal, in the same way an amp's footswitch sends a switching signal (though MIDI is digital, and thus can be assigned to control an almost limitless amount of things). Basically, you have your amp, which probably doesn't have a built-in MIDI interface, so you also have an external MIDI switcher (like this baby) that receives MIDI signals and sends switching signals to your amp. You also have your rack FX processor with its MIDI inputs, or, if you're a die-hard pedal user, a MIDI-controllable loop selector (such as this) which allows you to place your pedal(s) within its loops and turn them on/off.

So basically, all this stuff has a MIDI input and a MIDI "thru" output that just sends the same signal out for the purposes of daisy chaining. Connect it all together, set everything up how you want it, then activate the "learn" (or equivalent) function on all the MIDI stuff, and then hit a button on your MIDI foot controller, and bam - you've got a preset. Set everything up differently, learn, different button, repeat! And you can also have it all automatically controlled by a laptop or sequencer sending out MIDI signals, though that's a little beyond my know-how...

:worship: Beautiful post! I would really like to set one up, it just seems like a lot of work and money... Thank you! This really helped me out!

My pleasure dude, I remember not too long ago I was completely baffled by it as well, so I'm glad I could help!